Broke my leg - needing advice. - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Broke my leg - needing advice.

This is a discussion on Broke my leg - needing advice. within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
      #21
    Foal
    I did the same thing to my left leg a year and a half ago having a stupid fall off of my horse. Feel free to pm me or email me and we can talk all about it, I know EXACTLY
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
      #22
    Foal
    Sorry didnt realize my last post got cut off, but I know exactly how you feel. I am not going to lie, it was a long hard road but I have been riding consistantly for about two months now and am loving it. I struggled HARD with confidence and fear, but feel free to contact me with ANY ANY questions. I know of some good websites too. I know the fear of seeing my leg, I almost passed out my first app. After my surgery just from the THOUGHT of seeing it, but it is not as bad as you think I promise. Anyways, enough of my rambling, feel free to email me: sweetbabe17422@yahoo.com
         
        04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
      #23
    Yearling
    I had a car accident and broke my back in three places. After I got out it, I had NO confidence left any more. I was scared of my own beloved horse, almost to the point of selling him.

    I did manage to get back on him after another person rode, but only in a round pen. I sucked it up a few weeks later and tried to go out past the barn. He spooked, bolted, and I was horribly scared of getting on and going past a walk again. I did work up to it, and was eventually able to let him go-go as he was bred to do.

    Then I got a filly. She had a happy moment, bucked, and hit the hay bay I was carrying. Needless to say, THAT terrorfied me to the point were I was unable to enter her paddock for days. I did end up selling her to a good home whom were looking for a young horse to work as a trail prospect.

    I had honestly by then, lost my passion for horses.


    And then came Sammy. He's quiet, gentleman like, sweet, loving. He does nothing but want to please you. Not a kick, bite, or buck in his body. I rode him bareback not to long ago for just a little while. Now I am completely confident even around my spookier horses. I LOVE being around them again. I love grooming them, washing them, chasing them around the pasture with a halter and a lead. Everything. I want to ride ride ride. They make me giggle, smile, they make me happy.

    I guess it just takes a quiet one sometimes :)



    At the moment I'm sitting at home with a locked and swelled knee. No idea how that happened -.- I stepped on a nail two days ago (right foot) and now this (left knee). You should have seen me hobbling around with my broomstick cane this morning, feeding the boys xD I swear, it was ridiculous.
         
        04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
      #24
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    I am so glad that you have decided to stick with it. Sometimes it is hard to accept that accidents are just a part of riding and like Donnie Gay said "It's not a matter of if you get hurt, but when and how bad." Just take your time and everything will be okay.

    Thank you!
    I've had many accidents on horses, this isn't my first break, but the biggest. I've had a lot of people try to make me give up in the past, and I guess it was this one that made me go, maybe I really ought to, cos I obvious suck. It was a weak moment in time.
    Thanks again!
    x
         
        04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
      #25
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamrideredc    
    this happened to my sister (we both ride) and she had really bad nerves too. She eventually got over it, and now she is doing great! Whenever something bad happens to me at the barn, sure im upset, but once I go back I think of it as a new day and treat it like nothing happened...it always makes me feel better! I hope you get well soon!

    Thank you! Yeah the nerves thing is a big pain in the butt I'm afraid... but thank you, I do hope I can really work through this!!
    x
         
        04-17-2009, 10:39 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HorseLover123    
    Sorry about what happened,i broke my leg when I was 7 or 8 years old,but I didnt break it falling off a horse,but I can relate to your confidence problem,i had a bad fall a few years ago,a horse called Apatche reared with me and nearly stood on me.I was doing stable mangement until I was confident but it didnt work,everytime I tried to get on a horse I would scream.I found that getting led by someone and possibly spending quality time with your horse might get your confidence back.
    Hope you feel better soon :)


    HorseLover123 x

    Oh yes, I plan to be led too.. as much as I want to get back up there, I'm going to be a complete mess!
    Thanks!
    x
         
        04-17-2009, 10:43 PM
      #27
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rider4life422    
    sorry didnt realize my last post got cut off, but I know exactly how you feel. I am not going to lie, it was a long hard road but I have been riding consistantly for about two months now and am loving it. I struggled HARD with confidence and fear, but feel free to contact me with ANY ANY questions. I know of some good websites too. I know the fear of seeing my leg, I almost passed out my first app. After my surgery just from the THOUGHT of seeing it, but it is not as bad as you think I promise. Anyways, enough of my rambling, feel free to email me: sweetbabe17422@yahoo.com
    I'm so glad you're back in the saddle! I think I'm going to really struggle but will get over it.
    Yeah my leg's not the prettiest, I have a removable cast so I've seen it.. I too almost passed out when I saw it two weeks after the surgery when they removed my cast... mainly cos I was told I had stitches and instead I had about 25 staples!!
    Thank you for the support, I'll surely pm you!
    x
         
        04-17-2009, 11:08 PM
      #28
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twogeldings    
    I had a car accident and broke my back in three places. After I got out it, I had NO confidence left any more. I was scared of my own beloved horse, almost to the point of selling him.

    I did manage to get back on him after another person rode, but only in a round pen. I sucked it up a few weeks later and tried to go out past the barn. He spooked, bolted, and I was horribly scared of getting on and going past a walk again. I did work up to it, and was eventually able to let him go-go as he was bred to do.

    Then I got a filly. She had a happy moment, bucked, and hit the hay bay I was carrying. Needless to say, THAT terrorfied me to the point were I was unable to enter her paddock for days. I did end up selling her to a good home whom were looking for a young horse to work as a trail prospect.

    I had honestly by then, lost my passion for horses.


    And then came Sammy. He's quiet, gentleman like, sweet, loving. He does nothing but want to please you. Not a kick, bite, or buck in his body. I rode him bareback not to long ago for just a little while. Now I am completely confident even around my spookier horses. I LOVE being around them again. I love grooming them, washing them, chasing them around the pasture with a halter and a lead. Everything. I want to ride ride ride. They make me giggle, smile, they make me happy.

    I guess it just takes a quiet one sometimes :)



    At the moment I'm sitting at home with a locked and swelled knee. No idea how that happened -.- I stepped on a nail two days ago (right foot) and now this (left knee). You should have seen me hobbling around with my broomstick cane this morning, feeding the boys xD I swear, it was ridiculous.

    Thank you so very much for your post. It sounds like you had a tough time, and I'm very glad you pulled through... all these amazing stories make me realise how lucky I am to have what I do, and can do this when I'm healed.
    I'm lucky I have two amazing horses... I sold my very first pony the other week so its weird only seeing the two now... but Honey is super quiet... she's not the type to flip out at much, so when she did explode that day, I guess it was kinda due. Evo is an amazing boy... who many people call my horsey soulmate. He's obsessed with me... and I've been very privileged to own him for the past two years. Under saddle we struggle, he's got big movement, and I'm an overweight, slightly bad balanced rider who still struggles with his trot... and I havent even cantered him yet.. well apart from the two-three bolts we've had He's amazing though, he really takes care of me and my best friend trained him specifically to meet my needs. I already have a weak right leg from my knee, so it's lucky he can be ridden without so much leg on that side!! But I'm actually more worried about riding him.. he's an anxious horse and if I'm freaking out he'll freak too... but we'll get to that point when it's time. I'll just have to trust him, and myself.
    Thanks for taking the time out to reply to this
    x
         
        04-17-2009, 11:55 PM
      #29
    Yearling
    This sounds kind of corny but it helped me when I fell off my new horse recently. I found a photo where I looked good and both me and horse were relaxed. When I would start to feel nervous I forced myself to forget about it and looked at that photo and how good it felt when things were going well. Get some 8x10's of pics of good times when you have been riding and put them around your house during your recuperation time. Not sure how you fell about this but you can have a shot of brandy that first time you get back on. Don't over do it because then you lose your concentration but just take the edge off.
         
        04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
      #30
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juniper    
    This sounds kind of corny but it helped me when I fell off my new horse recently. I found a photo where I looked good and both me and horse were relaxed. When I would start to feel nervous I forced myself to forget about it and looked at that photo and how good it felt when things were going well. Get some 8x10's of pics of good times when you have been riding and put them around your house during your recuperation time. Not sure how you fell about this but you can have a shot of brandy that first time you get back on. Don't over do it because then you lose your concentration but just take the edge off.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I've already been doing so with the photos... got several that I keep looking at!
    I'd love to say I'd drink before getting up there, but as I'm allergic to alcohol, and don't drink wine, I'm kinda lucking out there!!!
    x
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Needing help jfarmboy Horse Breeds 10 10-14-2008 02:03 PM
    needing bit advice countrygirl Horse Tack and Equipment 7 08-21-2008 11:23 AM
    needing some advice on horse euthanasia mulletmaster Horse Health 8 05-05-2008 03:29 PM
    hi...new here..and needing advice loopdaloop Horse Training 21 03-28-2007 01:36 PM
    Help needing a diagnosis Linnie Horse Health 6 03-22-2007 09:10 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0