This may be long, but I will organize it the best I can. Please answer any of the questions (or concerns) you can, as I just bought a trailer, and have never had the opportunity to trailer out to ride before.
1. I will be working with my horses to load- they have both been on trailers, but I have never personally loaded a horse.
A) I'm nervous one of them will try to fly back out once theyre in. Is there a way to avoid a panic? I want them to learn to load on/off the ramp.
B) one of my horses doesnt tie well. He panics.
- I have a blocker tie ring, can I just use this to tie him in the trailer? Can I just move it when I go to tie him to the outside?
-Should I leave him untied?
2. How many of you use horse head bumpers when trailering? I'd hate to have to call the vet for something preventable.
3. How long should I ask them to stand in the trailer once loaded for the first time?
4. I read that you should never load/unload alone because you don't want to tie a horse up, and then close the back gate (they could freak out, rush back and hurt themselves. Ideally you should have someone tie the horse as someone else latches the butt gate.
-This isnt always possible, is it? What is another option What do you do?
5. I'm worried that the horses may spook while on the ride somewhere. I'm thinking of installing a camera. What do most people do? Do horses tend to just relax after a while?
What worries me is the thought of injury. I know I sound like a paranoid old lady, but really I just want whats best for my horses. I have confidence on the ground, but I always like to inform myself before I take on any hard task. Any suggestions, even for concerns that may not be posted are greatly appreciated. I will be practicing all week, in hopes I can go trail ride this weekend