Buying a horse is very frustrating
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Buying a horse is very frustrating

This is a discussion on Buying a horse is very frustrating within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree5Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
      #1
    Weanling
    Buying a horse is very frustrating

    This might come off as a bit of a rant ;0) I'm very frustrated.

    I bought a mare last year who had been put out to pasture and was being used as a broodmare, she was 13. She was broke to ride and the owners grandfather did a really good job because she went back to riding like she had been doing it all her life. I got a really good deal and she only cost 500 dollars. Unfortunately she passed away, we suspect she ate some black cherry. I was unaware that I had some on my property.

    So I'm on the hunt to find another horse. I've been looking for about 6 months. I have to confess I like a horse that knows stop. I think most horses should come with a no buck, rear, bite, or kick at the starting price of 500 dollars, maybe I'm naive but it should be standard . At a 1000 dollars for a gelding it should know stop. If its a registered mare then ok 1500. I'm looking for a trail riding horse and I think non spooky should come standard. I mean if your advertising your horse as a jumper then it should have cleared a few jumps, or some collection should be put on the horse for the dressage rider.

    If your selling a horse that is 19 years old and is a gelding, it's a little daunting to pay a couple thousand dollars. I personally wouldn't want to breed a horse but the buyer can't know that for sure so I understand if mares are priced higher.

    Case in point I have a 5 year old gelding, he is a nice horse but he likes to test his rider at the canter and is still just a little spooky. He does great with a experienced rider, or one without the fear of hitting the ground. He can trail ride all day, in fact he went out in one day with 3 different riders on three different trail rides with the last one being almost 5 hours long. I listed him for 600 dollars. I'm realistic about him, he is a gelding so he isn't going to be passing anything on.

    I'm willing to pay 1500 dollars for a horse but at that price they should know stop, and if your listing them as a trail horse they shouldn't be spooky.

    Just a rant. Maybe I'm asking too much and if so let me know.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Yes your expectations of common sense and one's ability to realistically value their property is far too high. :)
    chandra1313 likes this.
         
        01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
      #3
    Foal
    I agree. I am beginning my search for a horse and find prices and abilities to be all over the board. Haven't been able to figure out a rhyme or reason for the prices people are asking. All too often I see one that is listed at $4000 and price reduced to $2000 or less (Are they starting with a higher price just so they can list it as "reduced" and make you feel like you are getting a deal?) Recently came across one listed for $1700, dropped it to $900 (but that was a "this week only" deal). Reposted the ad and the price is $2000 ??!! Huh? Saw one that started out at $2500 for a 15 yr old mare that had been a broodmare for the last several years (she was broke to ride, just not ridden lately), now they have started putting her in training and dropped price to $500?? Also find a lot of lame horses out there, or at least lameness history, and they still want thousands of dollars. I think it takes a while to find a fair price for a good horse.
    chandra1313 and DixieKate like this.
         
        01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
      #4
    Weanling
    The horse world is so strange. I have a friend who listed her horse at 800 dollars and gave it a huge leap of faith on the trail riding. The horse has somewhat of a good nature naturally so the trail riding goes well but that horse has only been out maybe a total of 15 trail rides and I'm being very generous with that. It has a bad vice, when you go out to get your horse it chases and gets the other horses to join up with it so none can be caught easily. Of course she doesn't mention that. Its only 3 years old so it is hardly a been there done that horse but that is how it is listed. Very frustrating.
         
        01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5kiddos    
    I agree. I am beginning my search for a horse and find prices and abilities to be all over the board. Haven't been able to figure out a rhyme or reason for the prices people are asking. All too often I see one that is listed at $4000 and price reduced to $2000 or less (Are they starting with a higher price just so they can list it as "reduced" and make you feel like you are getting a deal?) Recently came across one listed for $1700, dropped it to $900 (but that was a "this week only" deal). Reposted the ad and the price is $2000 ??!! Huh? Saw one that started out at $2500 for a 15 yr old mare that had been a broodmare for the last several years (she was broke to ride, just not ridden lately), now they have started putting her in training and dropped price to $500?? Also find a lot of lame horses out there, or at least lameness history, and they still want thousands of dollars. I think it takes a while to find a fair price for a good horse.

    The weekend special horses kind of frighten me and I never call about them. The ones that crack me up the most are due to health issues I'm getting out of the horse business, then you realise you have seen this person before on another ad a couple of months before. I'm not going to start off a business transaction with someone if they are starting off with dishonesty.

    I recently saw a ad for a great horse, trail rides supposed to be non spooky and the poster says has off and on lameness issues the price was over a 1000 dollars and it was a gelding. I don't know who is going to spend that type of money, when you might see some considerable vet bills or you might not get to even ride them that much. Crazy.

    I love the ads where the horse looks like its on its last leg and they say to a good home only no kill buyers 300 to 500 dollars, if I let my horse get that skinny I would give it away.

    I'm definitely afraid to spend 1500 dollars only to get the horse home and discover it has more issues then I do
         
        01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
      #6
    Foal
    I also wonder about the ones that give the reason for selling horse as, "can't afford to feed", "hay prices too high", etc. and then the next ad is the same person looking to buy horses??? If they are selling horses in order to buy something more suited for their needs, they should just be honest about that. Or maybe some of these people just buy and sell horses as a business??
    chandra1313 likes this.
         
        01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    On several "trading post" sites on Facebook, I've notice the outrageous prices on their horses. Non-broke grades, $3500.. no one has reasonable prices.
         
        01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    I've sold two horses that I would consider fairly well broke. The one was a 6 or 7 year old Arabian/QH (grade) sorrel gelding. He would ride in either a snaffle bit or a halter, ponyed colts, neck reined a bit, and I would trust him with green riders (it was the 'experienced' people that my boy didn't like. I sold him for $1700. The prices were fairly high right then.
    I sold a paint cross (roan) 8 year old gelding, for $1800 two years later. Again, I could ride him in a snaffle or halter, bareback, saddle, kids, ponying colts, beside highways, trains, etc. And again, the horse market was fairly good then.
    Now days, I look through the paper and see horses for ridiculous prices, and you know that they aren't going to get it. We sold some horses through the ring fall of 2011 and got $475 for a green broke, reg QH mare, with foal at side. And they pretty much bought her for the foal.
    At that sale, the high selling horse was a QH/Percheron 4 year old gelding, not kid safe, but was rope safe, and had worked the community pasture for a year, he went for, I think, around the $2000 mark. It's actually pretty hard to find a trained horse around here. Everybody says 'broke', in other words, it won't buck every time you get on, but it doesn't have the controls it should have either. Probably because everybody tries to break there own horses. It's rather frustrating.
    chandra1313 likes this.
         
        01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GallopingGuitarist    
    I've sold two horses that I would consider fairly well broke. The one was a 6 or 7 year old Arabian/QH (grade) sorrel gelding. He would ride in either a snaffle bit or a halter, ponyed colts, neck reined a bit, and I would trust him with green riders (it was the 'experienced' people that my boy didn't like. I sold him for $1700. The prices were fairly high right then.
    I sold a paint cross (roan) 8 year old gelding, for $1800 two years later. Again, I could ride him in a snaffle or halter, bareback, saddle, kids, ponying colts, beside highways, trains, etc. And again, the horse market was fairly good then.
    Now days, I look through the paper and see horses for ridiculous prices, and you know that they aren't going to get it. We sold some horses through the ring fall of 2011 and got $475 for a green broke, reg QH mare, with foal at side. And they pretty much bought her for the foal.
    At that sale, the high selling horse was a QH/Percheron 4 year old gelding, not kid safe, but was rope safe, and had worked the community pasture for a year, he went for, I think, around the $2000 mark. It's actually pretty hard to find a trained horse around here. Everybody says 'broke', in other words, it won't buck every time you get on, but it doesn't have the controls it should have either. Probably because everybody tries to break there own horses. It's rather frustrating.

    I would not consider your horses to be overpriced if they can do all that. I understand also if you have a registred horse with good bloodlines and it's a mare that the price will be higher but in reality if they haven't had good solid training and a good temperment what good would they be to the average rider. Most horses aren't going to be going to the show ring but people act as if they have a pot of gold horse.
         
        01-09-2013, 09:27 AM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5kiddos    
    I also wonder about the ones that give the reason for selling horse as, "can't afford to feed", "hay prices too high", etc. and then the next ad is the same person looking to buy horses??? If they are selling horses in order to buy something more suited for their needs, they should just be honest about that. Or maybe some of these people just buy and sell horses as a business??
    I totally agree. I see so many of those in our area. I'm not going to jump at the very first horse I see so I have to wonder how they can be so oblivious to the fact that most people scan the ads over long periods of time and are bound to run across their other ads ;-D
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Frustrating horse people. MissColors Horse Talk 8 11-17-2012 08:44 PM
    Why is buying a saddle so frustrating?? poppy1356 Horse Talk 18 05-21-2012 07:18 PM
    Incredibly spooky horse, very frustrating. Mickey4793 Horse Training 17 10-20-2009 10:14 AM
    The most frustrating horse search.... ever. eventer89 Horse Talk 11 04-29-2009 01:17 PM
    Venting .... Buying a horse is frustrating TerryB Meet the Community 1 10-26-2007 07:24 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0