Chocolate? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Chocolate?

This is a discussion on Chocolate? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-20-2007, 10:56 PM
      #11
    Foal
    Where I ride when we fall off we get a chocolate party and every time the horses are allowed to have some too....and under the circumstances they get chocolate quite a lot
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-21-2007, 06:02 AM
      #12
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latte62lover
    where I ride when we fall off we get a chocolate party and every time the horses are allowed to have some too....and under the circumstances they get chocolate quite a lot
    Thats a really cute idea. Makes falling off not so bad and other riders won't make as much fun since there is a treat involved.
         
        12-22-2007, 03:48 AM
      #13
    Started
    Wow $200 is a rediculis price to be spending on a horse for that!!!!, mine just get carrots and molasses and maybe a new halter......how about donating it to some thing like dans la rue or the terry fox foundation? In your horses name?
         
        12-22-2007, 04:52 AM
      #14
    Foal
    I am way to nice to her!! Lol...
         
        12-22-2007, 01:14 PM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Well, I think we all love our horses just as much, but AGREED...........that is ALOT of chocolate. She would love you just as much with some of the healthier suggestions posted :). But to each his/her own. Good luck!
         
        12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Chocolate? For your horses?

    Am I missing something? If I want to give anyone of my horses A treat, It's usually 4th cut alfalfa....This year last cutting dried nice and green.
    When they see it or smell it in the cart, you would think I offered to take them out for dinner!
         
        12-22-2007, 03:39 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Toxicity in animals

    Main article: theobromine poisoning

    In sufficient amounts, the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to animals such as horses, dogs, parrots, small rodents, and cats (kittens especially) because they are unable to metabolise the chemical effectively. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian.
    (Anyone here ever see a horse vomit from anything other than choke?????)

    I think the rule of thumb is " Don't feed your Dog Chocolate even know he likes it!, because bad things can happen to him! Same I find for horses, Were not talking about colic.....I have seen a quarter horse mare have a motor type seizure, and it's not pretty!


    A typical 20-kilogram (40-lb) dog will normally experience great intestinal distress after eating less than 240 grams (8.5 oz) of dark chocolate, but will not necessarily experience bradycardia or tachycardia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram (1.1 lb) of milk chocolate. Dark chocolate has 2 to 5 times more theobromine, thus is more dangerous to dogs and other animals. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, approximately 1.3 grams of baker's chocolate per kilogram of a dog's body weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity. For example, a typical 25-gram (0.88 oz) baker's chocolate bar would be enough to bring about symptoms in a 20-kilogram (44 lb) dog. Of course, baking chocolate is rarely consumed directly due to its unpleasant taste, but other dark chocolates' canine toxicities may be extrapolated based on this figure. As dogs like the taste of chocolate products as much as humans do, and are capable of finding and eating quantities much larger than typical human servings, they should be kept out of their reach. Treats made from carob are a good substitute and pose no threat.
         
        12-23-2007, 09:58 AM
      #18
    Showing
    Thanks for that Cuttingedge I wondered myself. I have had dogs eat chocolate and had to give them hydrogen peroxide water mix to promote vomiting....not a pretty thing.
         
        12-25-2007, 02:17 PM
      #19
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vidaloco
    Thanks for that Cuttingedge I wondered myself. I have had dogs eat chocolate and had to give them hydrogen peroxide water mix to promote vomiting....not a pretty thing.
    Yeha, that's scary Vidaloco! With a horse I can't see how you would even induce vomiting....You would have to tube them, and hope for the best. :( Being that Drafts have sensitive digestive systems, I'm very cautious of what goes into our herds mouths.
         
        12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    I wouldn't spend $200 bucks on me, even for chocolate! ( and I love chocolate) if I were you, i'd buy her $200 of feed , 0r $200 bucks for board, $200 bucks of carrots or apples to share, ya know, stuff I can enjoy too!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0