Confused about working with another horse or focusing on mine
So basically I have had this horse for over a year and she is my best friend. I love her, she is the most special horse to me, and she really means so much to me. She's a beautiful dressage prospect, a great little mare, only 5 yrs old. Recently she was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. So, we don't know if she will be serviceable or not (or if she will be able to do dressage or not anymore). So basically that's where I'm at now... I've been lunging her, keeping her in decent shape, she's on a diet for weight loss, but meanwhile I have not been spending time in the saddle. I may be able to get back in the saddle with her soon, but right now I just don't know. She looks a lot more comfortable on the lunge (maybe not perfect but better) but her arthritis is in her sacroiliac or near there or something and her symptoms are more noticeable with weight on her back.
So, my girl is my focus, and I do NOT ever want to sell her, lease her, or stop working with her. I honestly think that she will be serviceable/rideable since she has been so athletic on the lunge, but I would still consider her to be in her rehab phase. I have a lot of other activities going on with school and things besides riding, so I have to be really careful that I don't pile on my schedule.
I am wondering if I should get back in the saddle or wait it out and see if my horse will be able to ride again. I don't know how the rehab will be.. her joint injections were 4 1/2 weeks ago so if she isn't better by 6 weeks then I don't know... I am going to try having a lesson on my friend's horse this week so at least I can have a little training in, and we use the same trainer. But, my friend rides her horse all the time, so it's not like I will be able to ride this horse a lot, and to have 4 lessons is $200 whereas I could lease a horse in the area at another stable for $100/month. I'm so confused because I don't want to get into the whole leasing deal if I should wait it out... I am thinking about trying to ride my horse tomorrow and seeing how she feels. So, in either scenario (if she seems rideable or not), what should I do? Thanks. & God bless, happy holidays.