Does anyone else feel this way?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Does anyone else feel this way?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else feel this way? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree27Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-06-2013, 02:40 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Does anyone else feel this way?

    When you get your first horse you are so excited. You just want to spoil them and dote on them. Even shopping for brushes is exciting. You color match grooming supplies, tack, blankets, etc. You buy "horse" shampoo. You buy bagged feed and every supplement that someone has suggested to you. You're horse has everything a horse could want. You call the vet for every scratch.

    Then years later:

    You still love your horse BUT it irritates you when your curry goes missing and you have to spend $10 on a new one. You are using Suave to wash your horse because if it's good enough for you it's good enough for the horse. You no longer color matching things. You buy what works the best or what is on sale. You only call the vet if it's a true emergency, the rest you figure "it's a long way from his heart". You get rid of a most supplements and bagged feed and stick to high quality hay, mineral block, and water.

    It's funny how we go from "glitz and glamor" to "practical" over time. I just got to thinking about this today when I pulled out my old lime green grooming bag and everything in it no longer matched in color. It used to be brushes, curry, hoof pick, sponge, etc all lime. Now it's whatever was on sale.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
      #2
    Trained
    I have 15 horses. If I colour matched for them all, I wouldn't be affording their hay. LOL
    Plus, I was always cheap when it came to accessories - the horses are where I blew all my big bucks!
         
        06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
      #3
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    I have 15 horses. If I colour matched for them all, I wouldn't be affording their hay. LOL
    Plus, I was always cheap when it came to accessories - the horses are where I blew all my big bucks!
    I'm a cheap a$$ too.....the over reach boots have to actually fall off in the arena before I buy more
    SarahandDallas likes this.
         
        06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    We just become more sensible and less infatuated. Happens with real love, no matter if its animal or human. :)
         
        06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
      #5
    Started
    I buy smart. I don't buy if it's not on sale. I always go to "yard tack sales" and pick out what I need...or might need. My brushes have never matched and I will only get the gallon sized shampoo and conditioner from a beauty supply store when it's on sale.

    I do have one cork...saddle pads, for some reason I can always find a reason to get one, or three.
         
        06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
      #6
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wetrain17    
    I buy smart. I don't buy if it's not on sale. I always go to "yard tack sales" and pick out what I need...or might need. My brushes have never matched and I will only get the gallon sized shampoo and conditioner from a beauty supply store when it's on sale.

    I do have one cork...saddle pads, for some reason I can always find a reason to get one, or three.

    On that note.....I don't cheap out on things that could affect the health or comfort of my horse (like saddle pads) ......everything else is cheap!!!
    WSArabians and Wheatermay like this.
         
        06-06-2013, 03:41 PM
      #7
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    On that note.....I don't cheap out on things that could affect the health or comfort of my horse (like saddle pads) ......everything else is cheap!!!
    Must be why I have a $250 saddle pad. LOL
    Got five horses at that price or less! Haha!
    FaydesMom, Muppetgirl and Roadyy like this.
         
        06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
      #8
    Started
    I was going to say I think it's called growing up...but a better thought would be experience and getting priorities in order.
    Proper fitting tack is order number 1. After that who cares if stuff matches? : )
    toto likes this.
         
        06-06-2013, 04:05 PM
      #9
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    Must be why I have a $250 saddle pad. LOL
    Got five horses at that price or less! Haha!
    I've spent more on my saddles and tack for the horses than I have on all 6 horses which only one had a price at $500.
    FaydesMom likes this.
         
        06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    When you are getting ready for your first horse it's exciting and you love buying all the stuff. Once you have your horse you realize that some things you need to spend the extra money on, like good fitting tack, and other things the cheaper the better.
    Northernstar likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Anyone feel like this? mbender Horse Talk 3 12-07-2010 09:07 AM
    I seriously feel... HorsesAreForever Horse Training 49 11-02-2009 06:05 PM
    anyone else feel like this Snapple122 General Off Topic Discussion 8 11-03-2008 01:28 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0