Dumping horses - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SE TN
Posts: 4,539
• Horses: 3
I buy a years worth of hay, every year in May.
goneriding likes this.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
gunslinger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I buy a years worth of hay, every year in May.

That is the way to go!!

I have had the same hay guys for years. Not the best hay but not bad and I am always happy when I get it. If it is a good hay year I get good hay if not so good I get not so good hay. If you are a good repeat customer they always have hay for me, and I am not afraid they will sell it to the highest bidder.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,105
• Horses: 1
The barn where we have the boys grows their own hay-the best I have ever seen. Talking to the owners they are not selling any hay this year to outsiders so I know the boys will have enough for winter.

We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
DimSum is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 692
• Horses: 0
In times of hay shortage its best to get as many hay bales as possible nd also to suppliment with hay pellets or cubes. I use alfalfa/timothy cubes when hay is slacking. In hot weather horses loved the soaked cubes or pellets as like a treat for them and gets them to drink more water too.

TRR
TimberRidgeRanch is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Johnson City, Texas
Posts: 643
• Horses: 5
I have stored hay for the last few years
Country Boy is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina View Post
Attempting to sell a horse is not "dumping" it even if the ad is horribly pathetic. Dumping a horse is opening the gate and shooing it out.

You have no idea what these people are going through. I only have one horse and am struggling to buy the hay he needs. I can guarantee you that if I had to choose between feeding him and feeding my kids that I too would be writing up a sale ad and if I got desperate enough, he'd go to auction. I won't let my kids go hungry so I can own a "pet".

I'm with you SR... I have lots and lots and lots of acreage but dead grass doesn't feed horses, so I certainly won't be bringing any more home.
I agree my kids would come before my animals..no question...and you are right we don't know what is going on in their homes. However, if it is truly that bad...then probably they should not have a horse any way..drought or not. IMO selling a horse at meat buyers prices is indeed dumping for the simple fact that it assures a sale no matter to whom ...I did not start the thread to criticize decisions but I have been hounding craigslist to find hay & the numbers of horses being sold at cheap under a poor market anyway value was startling and sad. It is what it is & several people on here have mentioned its going to get worse...that fact is horribly sad!

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,378
• Horses: 2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
I agree my kids would come before my animals..no question...and you are right we don't know what is going on in their homes. However, if it is truly that bad...then probably they should not have a horse any way..drought or not. IMO selling a horse at meat buyers prices is indeed dumping for the simple fact that it assures a sale no matter to whom ...I did not start the thread to criticize decisions but I have been hounding craigslist to find hay & the numbers of horses being sold at cheap under a poor market anyway value was startling and sad. It is what it is & several people on here have mentioned its going to get worse...that fact is horribly sad!
I think that is quite a leap when you know absolutely nothing about what has lead each person to the decision to sell. I sincerely hope you never suffer an unfortunate series of events (or even just one horrible event) in your life that would cause you to have to face judgement for making the best decision you can.....
themacpack is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack View Post
I think that is quite a leap when you know absolutely nothing about what has lead each person to the decision to sell. I sincerely hope you never suffer an unfortunate series of events (or even just one horrible event) in your life that would cause you to have to face judgement for making the best decision you can.....
my friend you know nothing about me or what I have faced such as losing everything I own in 2007 accept the clothes on my families back % with all due respect that is not what this thread is about...horses are not a right of passage and are/can be expensive so take my words however you want a lot of animals are facing a lot of uncertainty & I for 1 find it atrociously sad that is all...mods please lock this thread as it was never ever intended nor should any thread be an attack on any one on here including myself!!!

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,732
• Horses: 2
I guess I'm lucky - It's been raining here every other day it seems!

“Have fun - Stay on top.”
"There's nothing like sixteen hands between your legs"
LoveTheSaddlebreds is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Was in Ocala, Fl Now In West Union SC!
Posts: 3,175
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
my friend you know nothing about me or what I have faced such as losing everything I own in 2007 accept the clothes on my families back % with all due respect that is not what this thread is about...horses are not a right of passage and are/can be expensive so take my words however you want a lot of animals are facing a lot of uncertainty & I for 1 find it atrociously sad that is all...mods please lock this thread as it was never ever intended nor should any thread be an attack on any one on here including myself!!!
Mods don't lock threads, just because you don't get the answer you want.

You are being very rude, and as some one who claims to have lost every thing, should understand.
themacpack likes this.
myhorsesonador is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sketch dumping. Creampuff Horse Artwork 2 10-30-2011 06:03 PM
‎**FREE HORSES*** 52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Richard Conrad Horses for Sale 2 02-02-2011 07:55 PM
4 Horses for sale --- ALSO, buying horses within 100 miles girl_on_black_pony Horses for Sale 3 09-20-2008 09:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome