English vs. Western - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

English vs. Western

This is a discussion on English vs. Western within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • AUSTRALIAN SADDLES
  • English vs western saddle

View Poll Results: English vs. Western
English 22 53.66%
Western 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-28-2012, 12:08 PM
  #21
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failbhe    
I ordered from Horse.com (the Kimberly Outback - there are certainly nicer saddles out there, but for the price I thought it would be a good intro to see if I even like riding Aussie) - the shipping to Canada is ridiculous but we're close enough to the border I can drive down and pick it up there.

Too bad, the place near us has free shipping over $350.00. Did you get one with a horn or not. Mine has a horn, my friend got a black Kimberly with no horn and now wishes she would have gotten it with the horn. Hers is pretty heavy compared to mine even without the horn. Enjoy your saddle. The polys are great if your horse spooks or bucks cus you can just brace against them.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65    
Too bad, the place near us has free shipping over $350.00. Did you get one with a horn or not. Mine has a horn, my friend got a black Kimberly with no horn and now wishes she would have gotten it with the horn. Hers is pretty heavy compared to mine even without the horn. Enjoy your saddle. The polys are great if your horse spooks or bucks cus you can just brace against them.
Once I had decided on the Kimberly Outback, I looked around and even with shipping (and gas to drive down to get it) it was cheapest that way for me. I got the one without a horn. I know I'm used to riding western and so I might miss it, but I've also gotten a horn to the crotch (even as a woman, that hurts!!!) from a bucking horse and so decided to skip it...
     
    05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
  #23
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failbhe    
Once I had decided on the Kimberly Outback, I looked around and even with shipping (and gas to drive down to get it) it was cheapest that way for me. I got the one without a horn. I know I'm used to riding western and so I might miss it, but I've also gotten a horn to the crotch (even as a woman, that hurts!!!) from a bucking horse and so decided to skip it...

The polys of the Aussie saddle would have saved your crotch lol. Here is a pict of mine I got last year. See how long the pad is? That's from my old saddle and the panels came all the way down to the stirrups and was huge on him. I don't use that pad anymore lol. The thing I like about this saddle too is there is no overgirth which can sometimes be annoying when riding. Can't wait to hear how you like yours.
283175_10150255157958080_732348079_7282349_5449017_n.jpg
     
    05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
  #24
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65    
The polys of the Aussie saddle would have saved your crotch lol. Here is a pict of mine I got last year. See how long the pad is? That's from my old saddle and the panels came all the way down to the stirrups and was huge on him. I don't use that pad anymore lol. The thing I like about this saddle too is there is no overgirth which can sometimes be annoying when riding. Can't wait to hear how you like yours.
Attachment 99976
That is a very handsome saddle (and extremely handsome horse! ) - what brand/make is it? I hope the saddle isn't too big... Cece is a petite 14.2 hand Arab/Quarter Horse x. Oh well, I guess I'll keep all tags/receipts etc and just return it if it doesn't work out.
     
    05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
  #25
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failbhe    
That is a very handsome saddle (and extremely handsome horse! ) - what brand/make is it? I hope the saddle isn't too big... Cece is a petite 14.2 hand Arab/Quarter Horse x. Oh well, I guess I'll keep all tags/receipts etc and just return it if it doesn't work out.

Thanks. Hunter is also a 14.2 Quarter Horse / either arab or welsh mountain pony (I'm thinking the pony). My old saddle was huge on him. That saddle is a Down Under I think. I remember looking at 2 different ones and of course opted for the more expensive one (hubby bought it for my birthday). It was around $1,300 CAD with taxes. It is only about 15 pounds my friends kimberly is about 30 pounds. This is my old saddle and you can see how the panels cut into his shoulders. I think it really bothered him the most going downhill.
36142_438359078079_5699832_n.jpg

This is where I got mine from Saddles : Cariboo Outback, Australian Saddles & Supplies

I just snooped in your barn lol. Cece is a month older than Hunter and both of them will fill out more. The aussie saddle are good because you can adjust them. We are waiting to see how it fits him. I also got an equipedic pad, it was $259 but is worth it.
http://outbacksaddles.ca/store/index...roducts_id=234
     
    05-28-2012, 02:04 PM
  #26
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65    
My old saddle was huge on him. That saddle is a Down Under I think.
Wow that saddle does look huge. Is that the Down Under or the new one is the Down Under? Cece is coming home this weekend and (hopefully) the saddle will be here by then so I'll know soon if my little experiment pans out.

Oops, we seem to have monopolized this thread...
     
    05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
  #27
Weanling
I started with English, but currently ride Western and love it. I still want to get into English a bit though. Just to become a well-rounded rider.
     
    05-28-2012, 02:36 PM
  #28
Foal
English is for me, although I enjoy gymkhana games which are usually done in a western saddle. I participate in gymkhanas (in an ENGLISH saddle), dressage, and jumping. I ride a Thoroughbred ex-racer, and I couldn't imagine a western saddle on him ( he's a very English horse) Western is fun, though, too!
     
    05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
  #29
Yearling
Western. It seems much more natural to me. English... I don't know. I don't want to insult English riders, but to me it just looks silly and not natural - you're all dressed up in fancy clothing, sit up straight as an arrow, the horses never looks comfortable... Seems too "pristine" to me. I just much prefer western, I feel much closer to the horse, and I feel she would enjoy it much more. Also, I think the tack looks much better Western style. But, to each their own! :)
     
    05-28-2012, 06:49 PM
  #30
Foal
I love Western riding, as I have rode this way since I was around 3 or 4 years old. I want to soon learn English, but I feel as if I will always favor western. It is what I have grown up with and it feels natural.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Western to English?? Help! themoshi27 Horse Training 4 06-28-2010 04:12 PM
Two really nice saddles for sale>>>>>>English and Western>>western Wintec +)>>>look PaintsTheWorld Tack and Equipment Classifieds 10 01-08-2010 11:46 AM
western and english appy rider 4 life Horse Training 19 05-22-2009 08:43 AM
Western/English Differences... and Training Western Horse? FutureVetGirl Western Riding 2 08-25-2008 12:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0