Expensive Hobby - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,023
• Horses: 5
Well said M2G. It's expensive but I definitely think it is worth it. There are so many people I know that it has saved them from trouble or kept them from it. It has also taught me many many valuable lessons. For example, responsibility, humility, kindness, forgiveness and patience just to name a few. Also that actions very often speak louder than words and that sometimes silence is truely better.
It's not only a hobby it is a definite learning experience. I have gotten to do and see so many things that I never would have been able to were it not for horses. I dread the day when I will not be able to have horses :(

TM Tardy's Chick "Hunter" - 13 yo Paint
Remmy - 18 yo Morgan/QH cross
Gunner 3/31/11, Heidi 7/2009 Miniature Sicilian donkey
RusticWildFire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,032
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings View Post
I have attempted to try to do the math at the amount of money that is spent on this bloody sport and to tell you the truth I have never been able to figure it out because shortly after starting I just get into sums that make me sick so I stop. Think about it this way tho, would you be able to find a hobby you enjoyed as much? Would you be able to find something keeps you outside in the sun, active out in the fresh air? Something as enjoyable and rewarding as this? I doubt I would :)
LOL me too!!!! I don't even know the amount I've spent on tack, horses, shows, vet bills, etc... But like you said Think about it this way tho, would you be able to find a hobby you enjoyed as much?

Horses are my life and my true love. My horse has never cared if I've spilled my guts, cried in front of her, and she has never told anyone either. People have critized me for wasting time with the "hay burners" but in reality I would be where I am today if I wouldnt have had the responsibility when I was younger and through growing up.


It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference.
- Paul "Bear" Bryant (Former college football coach)
Angel_Leaguer is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 6,594
• Horses: 1
My BO has a bumbpersticker that says "Horses are my Therapy"
I think that about sums it up.
I was trying to add it up once but I gave it up lol.

And like RusticWildFire said, they teach us so much. I'm actually hoping to eventually use horses as therapy with trouble teens because this is so true.

I know the BO has 20 stalls, about 20 individual pens, and at least 40 horses out on the hill. She has a HUUUGE amount of land and all her horses are fat and happy. I didn't really realize how many horses were there until she was saying how it was going to kill her to write that check.

I was like...I will never be able to write a 30 thousand dollar check! When I was keeping them at my neighbors it killed me to write the 200$ one!
Spastic_Dove is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I did the math several years ago - it scared me so I never did it again.

When I go to the tack shop they know to take the price tags off whatever I just bought, no receipts, and no bags.

"Oh this old thing .... no sweetie, I've had it forever - looks new? Heck, I just keep my stuff looking good, you know that <<points to anything to distract her>> oh, look at what the cat is doing! Well we better be getting back to the house. What's for dinner?"

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 6,594
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I did the math several years ago - it scared me so I never did it again.

When I go to the tack shop they know to take the price tags off whatever I just bought, no receipts, and no bags.

"Oh this old thing .... no sweetie, I've had it forever - looks new? Heck, I just keep my stuff looking good, you know that <<points to anything to distract her>> oh, look at what the cat is doing! Well we better be getting back to the house. What's for dinner?"
Hahaha. Very nice.
Spastic_Dove is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,023
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I did the math several years ago - it scared me so I never did it again.

When I go to the tack shop they know to take the price tags off whatever I just bought, no receipts, and no bags.

"Oh this old thing .... no sweetie, I've had it forever - looks new? Heck, I just keep my stuff looking good, you know that <<points to anything to distract her>> oh, look at what the cat is doing! Well we better be getting back to the house. What's for dinner?"

Lol tsk tsk tsk...

TM Tardy's Chick "Hunter" - 13 yo Paint
Remmy - 18 yo Morgan/QH cross
Gunner 3/31/11, Heidi 7/2009 Miniature Sicilian donkey
RusticWildFire is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,032
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I did the math several years ago - it scared me so I never did it again.

When I go to the tack shop they know to take the price tags off whatever I just bought, no receipts, and no bags.

"Oh this old thing .... no sweetie, I've had it forever - looks new? Heck, I just keep my stuff looking good, you know that <<points to anything to distract her>> oh, look at what the cat is doing! Well we better be getting back to the house. What's for dinner?"
lol... when I buy stuff it goes from the truck to the barn, BF doesnt even know!!!!!


It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference.
- Paul "Bear" Bryant (Former college football coach)
Angel_Leaguer is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,197
• Horses: 2
Exactly why I am cutting down to ONE horse. I want to be able to go to a tack store and buy what I want vs only the minimum I need because I can't afford it because I own 2 horses. Much less stress for me and it means more shopping
my2geldings is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,917
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I don't even own a horse and I spend anywhere from $700 to $1200 a month on riding lessons, or riding clothes, or books, or whatever else I have decided I need
Horses are a luxury. But there's no reason they have to cost THAT much. We certainly don't spend that much. We have one horse and my daughter and I take lessons together.

Are you absolutely sure you wanna mess with my carrots?
Joshie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobby or Way of Life? Gingerrrrr Horse Talk 26 12-11-2008 03:13 PM
my hobby Painted Ride Hobbies 30 11-13-2008 03:56 PM
Considering this hobby BluMagic General Off Topic Discussion 6 07-30-2008 02:11 PM
Farrier Costs : Yearly Average to Most Expensive clipclop Horse Talk 17 09-03-2007 09:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome