Facing euthanizing my gelding - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Facing euthanizing my gelding

This is a discussion on Facing euthanizing my gelding within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree34Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-02-2014, 03:04 AM
      #21
    Super Moderator
    As good animal owners one of the toughest decisions we can make is when to let go.

    For me, the actual act of euthanasia is not hard, making the choice is. Always, whatever the animal, we owe them a good life and a good death.

    Hugs to you.
    Inga, Yogiwick and madyasmkey like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
      #22
    Green Broke
    Subbing, hoping for the best.
         
        01-02-2014, 06:56 AM
      #23
    Foal
    Heart breaks for this situation, I have been there. You're doing such a great job loving him and keeping him comfortable. Hoping and sending up a prayer for the best during your vet appointment today. Keep us posted...and again, you're doing him right by handling this how you are! Hang in there.
         
        01-02-2014, 11:49 AM
      #24
    Yearling
    Vet rescheduled for tomorrow. Now I'm facing a problem with my new gelding, seems like I'm having horrible horse luck lately!
         
        01-02-2014, 12:05 PM
      #25
    Green Broke
    So sorry to hear of the problem w/your special boy. I've had many horses over the decades & it's always a hard decision. My heart goes out to you & I hope your other horse comes around & it's only a minor issue. Take comfort in knowing you are doing the best you can.
    Yogiwick likes this.
         
        01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Figured I'd update this, the vet did come, but didn't have his x ray machine. He's a purely mobile vet and at the beginning/end of every year he has to send his x ray machine of for updates. It was supposed to have been back before he came but it wasn't, he's coming out this Wednesday and will have it. He's not so good at scheduling, though he is a really good vet so everybody puts up with it.
         
        01-18-2014, 05:38 PM
      #27
    Showing
    I've been thro this a few times. With the last one I'd finally made the decision to not take him into winter. It was all arranged and I was ok with that. Then the date had to be bumped up sooner. Tho't I'd throw up or pass out. It passed in a few minutes. The day arrived and I couldn't stay to watch it. I drove to a local coffee shop and within about 10 min received the "all clear" to go home. The halter and lead were hanging on the tack room door know. As soon as I saw it there was a tremendous sense of relief. We do need to escape months of stress and believe me, like you, the stress had been going on too long. Did I miss him, you bet. It was a year before I could connect with another horse. I had two others but just went thro the motions.
         
        01-18-2014, 05:57 PM
      #28
    Green Broke
    Just read through this thread - I'm now at the edge of my seat! I really, truly hope there's a proper diagnosis soon (I too, have a feeling it's a hoof issue) What a pity the Vet didn't have his machine! I really hope he didn't charge you for the inconvenient visit - I'd ask him to call the night before if he doesn't have it by the next one.... You've been doing such a good job and it's obvious how much you love him - I can't help but to think there's a better solution here somewhere. Oh how I wish you had a more reliable Vet nearby! But I can relate.... I'm in a very remote area, and the closest Vet is one I'd never have for an injury! He has a busy office in town, (99% cats and dogs) but has a reputation anytime he has a farm call with a horse injury he wants to put the horses down. I put aside any thoughts of 'loyalty' long ago to this Vet, and asked around... low and behold, I found one who is excellent/willing to come to my area/not trigger happy/has his DVM degree from MI State, and is nothing but an equine Vet. He spared me a great deal with his expertise when Star had a nasty stone bruise/abscess all last fall, and now she's 100% sound!! Ask around! Get some other opinions! It may be really worth it. Best of luck and prayers :)

    ** MI State University is recognized for it's highly reputable veterinary hospital
         
        01-18-2014, 06:40 PM
      #29
    Yearling
    What agony! You're such a good horse owner; trying to do the right thing is tough sometimes. Please keep us updated. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way from Oklahoma.
         
        01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
      #30
    Foal
    I am so sorry that both of you are having to go through this. The waiting is really hard. I had 2 horses with ringbone. It is a terrible disease. Initially we tried the rounded shoes because they allow for faster breakover of the toe. It helped some but not much. The fact is, every time they move their foot, the tendons/ligaments rub over the sharp glass-like peaks of the ossification ridges and that is what causes the intense pain. The ossification is a continuous process so it's just a matter of time and how fast it is growing. Eventually I had to do what was best for them and that was to put them out of their pain. Broke my heart both times. Wishing you the best.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I need help euthanizing my cat LovesMyDunnBoy Other Pets 34 08-23-2011 11:43 AM
    Facing quite the dilemma... JaneyWaney9 General Off Topic Discussion 1 08-06-2011 07:34 AM
    My horse keeps facing his bum to me! apachewhitesox Horse Training 17 05-23-2011 05:19 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0