I guess I have decided to semi-retire Rosie.
I've had problem after problem with Rosie. I've had her for a year, and for a while I was lightly riding her, she seemed stiff every now and then but I put it down to a disruptive paddock. She injured herself, her chest, and then one of her legs and then I moved to another place, seemed fine and brought her into work. Then I brought her back into a tiny bit of work, then got her out of the paddock one day and she was obviously lame. I gave her a few weeks and it didn't get much better. I got a vet out and he couldn't really help. He felt that it wasn't in her leg, maybe in her back muscles or hip or something. I gave her four months off, moved to a new agistment place, seemed okay but didn't work her, then moved again and started to bring her back into work about 3 weeks ago.
She was lame again, same lameness. It's more like she can't quite extend one of her rear legs under her all the way, and it gets her an uneven stride, visible mainly at the trot. Anyway, got out a really reputable person to look at her back, had a few sessions and she's at the point where the person doesn't think its anything to do with her back/muscles. And I have nowhere to go from here. I mean the vet said I could look at xrays and other stuff, but its just going to cost me a whole lot of money I don't have. And if copious amounts of rest couldn't even improve it, I don't have high hopes for affordable cure. She's a $700 horse... so..
I can't sell her, I like her a lot. She's a sweetie. And her lameness is somewhat subtle, so I wouldn't want her sold on and overworked. So I will just keep her.
But I am so bummed out about this. I had so many dreams. So much hope. And every time she got better I'd imagine all over again. Now I got no horse to ride really, and no money to get a new one.