I bought Flash last July as a skinny, malnourished almost 3 year old who had thrush in all four feet, badly underrun heals, a bad case of rainrot, horribly sharp teeth, a badly bowed tendon and very little training. I just felt so bad for him that I couldn't leave him there. It took over 6 months to heal the tendon and rainrot and one year to fix the thrush. In May, he was diagnosed with wld in all four feet (mild). He still has it, but its slowely improving. In July, he came down with the flu and took a while to recover. A few months ago, he started getting sick and we discovered he had an abscessed tooth. I sadly cannot afford the $5000+ surgery costs, so we are trying desperately to cure it with antibiotics (treatment is currently at 1800 and rising). His abscess has been slowely improving, but last week he went downhill and we discovered he has a severe bloodworm infestation that had gone unnoticed on all his fecals. He's receiving treatment, but the vet is still not sure if he will pull through this. This treatment will run me another few hundred, possibly more if he colics, doesn't respond to treatment, or has internal damage. His immune system is dangerously compromised and his body is not able to fight things very well. He's getting an immune support supplement, and a special diet but is dropping weight and becoming depressed. I hate to give up on him, and am not ready to do so at this moment, but I know that soon, I may have to make this decision. I am not rich, and already owe the vet quite a bit of money, and cannot afford to keep paying for expensive treatments.
Please guys, I need help. If this was your horse, what would you do? I'd like to read everyone's responses, and hope they help me come to a well-informed decision with the best interest of Flash at heart. He is my heart-horse and I only want what's best for him.
Posted via Mobile Device