a good example of why you should wear a helmet - Page 8
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

a good example of why you should wear a helmet

This is a discussion on a good example of why you should wear a helmet within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree562Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-10-2013, 09:41 PM
      #71
    Foal
    I have seen horses like that sold to meat buyers too...it is always the owners fault cause they ruined a good horse. My husband and I are in the process of rehabilitating an abused rescue right now....if he ever kicked me like that he would be gone before the g left my mouth...luckily he isn't a kicker, just head shy and fearful of his own shadow.
    Palomine likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-10-2013, 09:41 PM
      #72
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5Bijou5    
    ...it is ALWAYS our fault. I would never consider putting any of those dogs down.
    Strongly disagree. I've owned a lot of dogs, but had one I got rid of because she was mean. She was treated like all the other dogs I've owned, but she was a mean puppy and she never changed.

    It wasn't my fault. I've got a Border Collie sitting next to me who will allow little kids to stand on his head. But some dogs are mean. Not often, and I've only had one in 54 years of owning multiple dogs. But they exist.

    Now give that dog 1,000 lbs of muscle, and ask what you do if it turns out mean?
         
        04-10-2013, 09:46 PM
      #73
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5Bijou5    
    I have been attacked by three family dogs in my life. Got bit on the face all three times. The first was my grandparents spaniel, the second was our first dog a rescue yorkie with food aggression, and the third was our second dog.
    Every time I admit it was my fault, we as the more intelligent race have to act first and prevent these things. It is ALWAYS our fault. I would never consider putting any of those dogs down.
    It's a rare day that I am not around a dog, and I have never been bitten.

    I had a grumpy old girl now who would not tolerate young children, so she would not be around them. How on earth does it happen that you are bitten three times in the face, and the dogs are not put to sleep? I just don't understand that.


    This horse has been ruined by the idiot owner, for sure it's not the horses fault - however the horse is unsafe. With many millions of horses going to slaughter who would never do this, why not take one of them rather than wasting time on this one?
         
        04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
      #74
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsms    
    Strongly disagree. I've owned a lot of dogs, but had one I got rid of because she was mean. She was treated like all the other dogs I've owned, but she was a mean puppy and she never changed.

    It wasn't my fault. I've got a Border Collie sitting next to me who will allow little kids to stand on his head. But some dogs are mean. Not often, and I've only had one in 54 years of owning multiple dogs. But they exist.

    Now give that dog 1,000 lbs of muscle, and ask what you do if it turns out mean?
    I have owned nice dogs too... My maltese went through training to be a therapy dog, and my neighborhood kids and their families have repeatedly tried to buy my husky off of me for their families.

    I had a dangerous horse, he was quiet what you refer to as 'mean', he was quiet a handful and we knew better to keep him but we got him to people that helped him. And now he is fine with his new owners. Happy even.
    I am horrified that everyone is saying "kill the beast!" and not "get that horse to a trainer and a better home!" that is what I feel is the much more civilized approach to this that will save this girl and her horse.
         
        04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
      #75
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5Bijou5    
    I have owned nice dogs too... My maltese went through training to be a therapy dog, and my neighborhood kids and their families have repeatedly tried to buy my husky off of me for their families.

    I had a dangerous horse, he was quiet what you refer to as 'mean', he was quiet a handful and we knew better to keep him but we got him to people that helped him. And now he is fine with his new owners. Happy even.
    I am horrified that everyone is saying "kill the beast!" and not "get that horse to a trainer and a better home!" that is what I feel is the much more civilized approach to this that will save this girl and her horse.
    Unfortunately a horse can be ruined past the point of no return, and given the multiple times it has kicked at her and thrown her off, etc it is likely that this horse would be better off being put down.
    Palomine likes this.
         
        04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
      #76
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5Bijou5    
    I have been attacked by three family dogs in my life. Got bit on the face all three times. The first was my grandparents spaniel, the second was our first dog a rescue yorkie with food aggression, and the third was our second dog.
    Every time I admit it was my fault, we as the more intelligent race have to act first and prevent these things. It is ALWAYS our fault. I would never consider putting any of those dogs down.
    And when those dogs of yours bite someone else that realizes the wrong, the dogs will be killed and charges will be placed on owner/handler.

    I don't care if I pay $50k for a property dog..It bites someone that lives on the property it will be shot and shipped back to it's trainer/breeding facility with an intended refund. I couldn't give a flying rat's hind end how much the animal is worth, who's at fault, etc. If any animal of mine (dog, cat, horse, etc) purposly tries to maim/kill a human, it will be shot day of. I can go get another dog that is appropriate for the humans in my house and on my property. I've never in my life heard a person that understands animals say "well, it was my fault. I shouldn't have looked at them while they were eating or touched them while they were sleeping." BullS, if I accidently nudge my dog because it's sleeping beside my bed and I get up, I'll be ****ed if it bites me and lives. I could care less who the more "intelligent species" is, animals need to be kept to a standard or culled, except there's people out there (such as you?) who live in a fantasy world..And when they get killed, someone else is stuck with the animal they should've had put down.

    Oh, and I was dead serious about shooting that horse. I'll deal with my mare that kicks because it scared people away (hasn't kicked at me again after I beat her butt around the arena for it the day I got her on my (well, boarding) property and off of her old owners). The only reason I haven't done so to her is because it isn't a deliberate strike to maim/kill me, just get me to leave her be. There's a difference between those horses..One with intent to kill, and with an empty threat.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Palomine likes this.
         
        04-10-2013, 09:53 PM
      #77
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5Bijou5    
    I have owned nice dogs too... My maltese went through training to be a therapy dog, and my neighborhood kids and their families have repeatedly tried to buy my husky off of me for their families.

    I had a dangerous horse, he was quiet what you refer to as 'mean', he was quiet a handful and we knew better to keep him but we got him to people that helped him. And now he is fine with his new owners. Happy even.
    I am horrified that everyone is saying "kill the beast!" and not "get that horse to a trainer and a better home!" that is what I feel is the much more civilized approach to this that will save this girl and her horse.
    Unfortunitely, getting the horse a better home or a trainer will never happen cause she loves what he does......so someday, he is going to kill her and then is either going to be sold and kill someone else cause he will be put on craigslist as a showing jumper and sold for $5000 or up and will end up killing someone else or he will be sent to auction. I have trained many dogs and trained my own horses, but sometimes they are just to far go to bring back from the brink of insanity.... I love animals with all my heart and soul, but I would never want to be responsible for the death of another because of the animal being aggressive.
    Palomine and Stichy like this.
         
        04-10-2013, 09:55 PM
      #78
    Banned
    I wasn't dead serious about shooting the horse, I don't have a gun. I would have the vet out with a red syringe.
    Palomine likes this.
         
        04-10-2013, 09:55 PM
      #79
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexS    
    It's a rare day that I am not around a dog, and I have never been bitten.

    I had a grumpy old girl now who would not tolerate young children, so she would not be around them. How on earth does it happen that you are bitten three times in the face, and the dogs are not put to sleep? I just don't understand that.


    This horse has been ruined by the idiot owner, for sure it's not the horses fault - however the horse is unsafe. With many millions of horses going to slaughter who would never do this, why not take one of them rather than wasting time on this one?
    Like I said, it was always my fault. (two of the times I was too young to know better and one of the times I was seven and left home alone with a bagel and a food-aggressive-prior-stray) Just like these accidents in the videos is the girl's fault. She made him this way.

    When I owned my problem horse a few people told me to send him to slaughter. I could NEVER imagine doing that. Doesn't matter what he did. I realize we have totally different perspectives on this but I just don't understand how you could say
    "With many millions of horses going to slaughter who would never do this, why not take one of them rather than wasting time on this one?"
    I understand the millions of horses need homes but you so easily condemned this horse to death and wrote him off as a waste of time. That's...that's.... just not right.
         
        04-10-2013, 09:57 PM
      #80
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5Bijou5    
    Like I said, it was always my fault. (two of the times I was too young to know better and one of the times I was seven and left home alone with a bagel and a food-aggressive-prior-stray) Just like these accidents in the videos is the girl's fault. She made him this way.

    When I owned my problem horse a few people told me to send him to slaughter. I could NEVER imagine doing that. Doesn't matter what he did. I realize we have totally different perspectives on this but I just don't understand how you could say
    "With many millions of horses going to slaughter who would never do this, why not take one of them rather than wasting time on this one?"
    I understand the millions of horses need homes but you so easily condemned this horse to death and wrote him off as a waste of time. That's...that's.... just not right.
    He's a waste of time when he's trying to kick my head off......he's dirty....
    AlexS, Palomine and demonwolfmoon like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Do You Wear A Helmet? faiza425 Rider Wellness 24 01-27-2013 07:21 PM
    Wear a helmet? JJackson Horse Riding 46 03-22-2011 05:32 AM
    What helmet should I wear? StormyBlues Horse Tack and Equipment 39 06-29-2009 06:15 PM
    why I wear a helmet! clover Horse Talk 2 12-29-2008 04:28 PM
    do you wear a helmet? sempre_cantando Horse Riding 40 07-23-2008 01:12 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0