Grieving (new) Mare - How Can I Help? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Grieving (new) Mare - How Can I Help?

This is a discussion on Grieving (new) Mare - How Can I Help? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Grieving mares
  • Care for a grieving mare

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
  #11
Started
3 horses in a group is always going to create a situation where one horse is odd man out. The dominant horse will choose his buddy and the third horse gets no one. Some don't care if they don't have a buddy but sometimes it will create constant turmoil because #3 want to be #2. #2 and #3 can bicker none stop unless #4 is introduced.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-15-2011, 10:45 AM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
3 horses in a group is always going to create a situation where one horse is odd man out. The dominant horse will choose his buddy and the third horse gets no one. Some don't care if they don't have a buddy but sometimes it will create constant turmoil because #3 want to be #2. #2 and #3 can bicker none stop unless #4 is introduced.
YAY! That means I need another horse! LOL!

Ok, back to reality... I'll give that some thought. Thanks, Left Hand.
     
    12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
  #13
Foal
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCreek    
Would it be worth trying to put the feisty, aggressive Sally in a different pasture to see if old Mandy and Kate could bond a bit? Or should I just let them sort it out? I feel SO bad for Kate. She's so sad.
I would put the TB off by herself and let her bond with the older girl. The TB will hurt her, if she gets a good planted kick she could break ribs or even legs. My gf lost a horse that got kicked in the shoulder, it shattered her shoulder & they had to put her down.
     
    12-15-2011, 05:59 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhrs    
I would put the TB off by herself and let her bond with the older girl. The TB will hurt her, if she gets a good planted kick she could break ribs or even legs. My gf lost a horse that got kicked in the shoulder, it shattered her shoulder & they had to put her down.
HOLY CARP!! Yep, going to do that in the morning. Thanks.
     
    12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
  #15
Foal
Thanks for that story. It scared some sense into me. Nobody's going to get hurt on my watch if it can be helped!

I just went to the barn and separated Kate safely from the other two. I tried to just pull Sally (bitchy horse) out of the picture but she went psycho. I'll do that part this weekend when I can be there to make sure everyone stays safe.

I did thoroughly check out Kate to make sure there were no lumps, hot places, flinching, or any other indications of injury. She's ok.
     
    12-15-2011, 07:25 PM
  #16
Foal
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCreek    
I just went to the barn and separated Kate safely from the other two.
I think you made a good decision. I wasnt trying to scare you, I just wanted you to know the things that can happen with a overly aggressive horse. My gf mare was a lovely mare, she had her for 10 years than a boarder came in and they turned their nasty horse out with the group. She beat up a couple other horses too, but my friends horse got the worst of it. She was probably trying to protect her 2 y/o filly that was out with the group also.
     
    12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhrs    
I think you made a good decision. I wasnt trying to scare you, I just wanted you to know the things that can happen with a overly aggressive horse. My gf mare was a lovely mare, she had her for 10 years than a boarder came in and they turned their nasty horse out with the group. She beat up a couple other horses too, but my friends horse got the worst of it. She was probably trying to protect her 2 y/o filly that was out with the group also.
How horrible!!
     
    12-16-2011, 01:35 AM
  #18
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCreek    
I just went to the barn and separated Kate safely from the other two. I tried to just pull Sally (bitchy horse) out of the picture but she went psycho. I'll do that part this weekend when I can be there to make sure everyone stays safe.
That bit reminds me of my mom's boss mare. Goes nuts when separated from her herd, has anxiety problems (paces the fence into a total sweat). My mom teases that her boss mare gets more of a workout being left in the pasture than she would on a ride. Even injured herself trying to bust out of a stall at the vet's last year when my mom left her overnight.

You may need to keep her busy and give her lots of attention and reassurances. She may feel threatened by this newcomer, and doesn't want her buddy snatched up by the away from her.

You could always try scolding the cranky horse when she turns aggressive, like charge at her when she takes a lunge at the addition. Let her know that she is behaving poorly, and you don't approve. I do this with my mom's herd boss, she learned that I don't tolerate idiocy while I am in the pasture. I have never had to more than mock charge the aggressor, and if I am carrying a lead rope, I will admit to swinging that above my head for added drama. Point of it is to force the aggressor to "run" from the herd, which is not what they want to do. She knows she is top dog, and so do the other horses, she doesn't have to prove it while I am there.

Wish you luck. And remember that you know your horses best, and are free to choose the most appropriate solution that works best for you and your horses, and hope you can get them to get along with one another :)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-16-2011, 06:43 AM
  #19
Foal
Thanks, SunnyDraco!

I have 2 blissful weeks of vacation coming up in about 8 hours, and will be doing a lot of what you suggest! I'm going to be pretty much living in the pasture! LOL!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soild paint breeding stock mare or Qh mare Parker Horse Ranch Horse Breeds 10 03-05-2012 11:41 PM
Pregnant mare showing in season to another mare Sandy65 Horse Breeding 7 09-12-2011 09:31 AM
9 Years Of Grieving? rissaxbmth Horse Talk 24 02-08-2010 08:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0