Having to make a hard decision soon-(vent)
If anyone reads this all and understands it, you are great!
I'm having some problems with my 8 yr old pinto gelding. I got him on Thanksgiving day and he was perfect for a few months. I don't know a thing about his background and never will. It was either in Feburary or March that the problems started. But those problems are gone and I'll go to what he's doing now.
I mostly ride on the road infront of my house. It's fairly safe and the people in my neighberhood drive slowly past us and I move out of their way. Whenever I lope him (and he will do this in his "pasture" as well) he veers off the road and will basically try to run head first into a tree or post or neighbors driveway. This past Monday I was fooling around and trying to trot the barrel pattern on him. Well on the third barrel he decided that he only wanted to turn halfway and went head first toward my rabbit cage. He came within inches of hitting his head on the outside cage (the roof which is sheet metal that can gash his head open) that keeps the horses from messin with the rabbit. I tried to get him to turn but he wouldn't budge at all just basically locked his neck straight. I used my leg as well and that didn't help at all. He does this all the time.
I quite the job I had in June when I graduated HS because of the people that worked there. I am currently looking for a job now. We just bought a horse trailer but it has to redone before it can be used, no telling how long that will take my dad. So the only things that I can think of is #1 get a job of course #2 get his teeth checked real well #3 if #2 doesn't work then send him to a trainer. The only 2 trainers that I've seen and ad for one is $125 a week the other $625. The 125 one deals with problem horses and uses Clinton Anderson methods.
He's a fairley good horse, he's got great ground manners most of the time. Its just this one problem.
I just don't know what else to do. I just can't trust him anymore. I worked hard to earn the what I paid for him and I stupid to pay what I did.
If getting his teeth checked aren't the problem and don't work I might send him to the trainer or maybe even just sell him. I don't know that if I do send him to a trainer that I'll be able to fully ever trust him again.
I really want to run barrels so I obviously need a horse I can completly trust.
Is giving him 2 chances being fair enough? Is there anything else I can do? I've looked into chiros for him but there are not any around me. And I know my parents wont travel to one.
If anyone read all that thank you so much!
Awesome Miss Take- Storm- 15 yr APHA PHBA Mare
SS Catalena Doll- Claire- 2010 AQHA Filly