Hay prices in Fresno and North bay areas? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
ApolloRider on that hay weight 60-75lbs.
I think you will like it here if you move here..There is horse community, functions, farming ect~ everywhere...
It is pricey to live here but again the wages make up for that so it evens out a bit..

I agree Wares lol! Everything here is expensive...

214-211
Charley horse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Apollo....check Craigslist Fresno, Merced, Modesto. Lots of hay offered.
I get 100-110 lb bales of oat hay for 11$, from the grower. Alfalfa, 90-100lb bales run between 12 and 15$, grass hay, IF you can find it, 90lb bales 15-20$
I was getting orchard/timothy, 85lb bales, from the feedstore for 21$, all winter.

Don't know if you'd be considering my area, Merced county, but next to us is a place for sale, probably 5-10 acres, house, well, irrigated, 498, I think, and adjacent 20 acres, 245k....all flat, you'll see Thursday who will visit Sunday
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #13 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,403
• Horses: 1
I have lived around Fresno/Clovis my entire life... In the "mountain" communities of Auberry and Prather and Tollhouse and North Fork, etc.

I currently live roughly halfway between Fresno and Yosemite around a pretty populated town called Coarsegold, which is still in that general vacinity. In Coarsegold, the hay prices have been pretty consistently between $18 - $35 for a bale of grass hay, and alfalfa is usually slightly cheaper. The feed store that we buy from is by no means the cheapest in the area, but it's usually around that regardless of which store you purchase from.

No one irrigates here, so grazing alone is usually not enough here. It also almost never rains. Cause it's kind of a desert and stuff. :)

It's also yellow. So, so yellow. All of the time. Except for a month or so in spring. But then yellow. So much yellow. And brown. Yellow.

Welcome to the stinky polluted party! Maybe we'll be seeing you around!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 293791_3358549621734_1321244782_n.jpg (47.5 KB, 48 views)

The hills were bathed in moonlight, the shadows not so stark;
Silver light reflected off his brown hide as he held me in the dark
– I love you, Mudpie!
mudpie is offline  
post #14 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpie View Post
I have lived around Fresno/Clovis my entire life... In the "mountain" communities of Auberry and Prather and Tollhouse and North Fork, etc.

I currently live roughly halfway between Fresno and Yosemite around a pretty populated town called Coarsegold, which is still in that general vacinity. In Coarsegold, the hay prices have been pretty consistently between $18 - $35 for a bale of grass hay, and alfalfa is usually slightly cheaper. The feed store that we buy from is by no means the cheapest in the area, but it's usually around that regardless of which store you purchase from.

No one irrigates here, so grazing alone is usually not enough here. It also almost never rains. Cause it's kind of a desert and stuff. :)

It's also yellow. So, so yellow. All of the time. Except for a month or so in spring. But then yellow. So much yellow. And brown. Yellow.

Welcome to the stinky polluted party! Maybe we'll be seeing you around!
You better get a truck and a trailer and come over here for hay
Seriously, 35$ for grass hay????
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #15 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,403
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman View Post
You better get a truck and a trailer and come over here for hay
Seriously, 35$ for grass hay????
Ai-yup! Mudpie and I are actually staying with a friend in Oakdale right now and the grass hay here is $14.95 and I'm just rolling around with glee! ;)

Fortunately, the prices dropped to $18 a bit before we left, but when Mudpie sustained his suspensory injury I had to switch him to grass hay I discovered that unfortunate pricing... I gagged every time I had to buy a new bale...

The hills were bathed in moonlight, the shadows not so stark;
Silver light reflected off his brown hide as he held me in the dark
– I love you, Mudpie!

Last edited by mudpie; 05-09-2013 at 08:56 PM.
mudpie is offline  
post #16 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 492
• Horses: 1
Merced may be a little far. My husband has some family there I think.

I did actually check craigslist just asking about people who sold hay. I got quite a few responses. I was thinking it would cost a lot more than it actually does.
The suspense is killing me. We were supposed to find out last friday whether or not we are moving. This is the 3rd time we've gone through a 'possible' relocation.
So annoying...
ApolloRider is offline  
post #17 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 492
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman View Post
Apollo....check Craigslist Fresno, Merced, Modesto. Lots of hay offered.
I get 100-110 lb bales of oat hay for 11$, from the grower. Alfalfa, 90-100lb bales run between 12 and 15$, grass hay, IF you can find it, 90lb bales 15-20$
I was getting orchard/timothy, 85lb bales, from the feedstore for 21$, all winter.

Don't know if you'd be considering my area, Merced county, but next to us is a place for sale, probably 5-10 acres, house, well, irrigated, 498, I think, and adjacent 20 acres, 245k....all flat, you'll see Thursday who will visit Sunday
Whats the address? It's worth a look my husband would be traveling all over that area so we have a wider range than most people.
ApolloRider is offline  
post #18 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
I PM'd you
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #19 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,355
• Horses: 2
Where I am in north CA it is $22 for grass hay, $24 for Alfalfa/grass, and $26 for Alfalfa. 120 pounds. It is insane. Cant grow hay where I am, too wet. It has raised $2 in the last 5 years, not a lot, but it is still insanely expensive. It is great hay though. The only other hay is crap moldy stuff for $8.

“Good things come to those who wait… greater things come to those who get off their ass and do anything to make it happen.” - Unknown
caseymyhorserocks is offline  
post #20 of 50 Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,996
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman View Post
You better get a truck and a trailer and come over here for hay
Seriously, 35$ for grass hay????
Down here in San Diego grass is between $20 and $25 and orchard is $30
Oldhorselady is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hay Prices WillowUpNdunit Horse Talk 20 11-30-2012 08:40 AM
equestrian areas in North Carolina palgal Horse Talk 1 11-11-2009 06:09 PM
Anybody from Oklahoma/North Texas, or Cleveland, OH areas? NoFear526 Meet the Community 5 10-17-2008 10:47 PM
Hay Prices Apps4Me Horse Health 2 06-26-2008 10:48 AM
Anyone live near North Bay, On ~Tina~ Horses for Sale 0 09-30-2007 09:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome