Help!!
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Help!!

This is a discussion on Help!! within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Help!!

    I have a dilemma on my hands. As most of you know, I will be purchasing my new 5 y/o TB gelding, Noble, pending a PPE. He has been having some (what I think is) soreness in his back over the past week since he went from being in a pasture for a year to being ridden a couple hours a day being tried by people to buy him. When I went out to try him a second time the soreness has spread to his hindquarters. I only rode him for about 10 minutes just to make sure he was the same horse as the first time I tried him, and he W/T/C and picked up both leads w/o a problem. I talked to the owner today and she said that she put some liniment on his back and it is worse today - she said he barely wants her to touch his back. Should this be a red flag of some deeper issues, or do you think it truley is just soreness? I am so stressed out... I LOVE this horse to death, but I don't want to purchase a 5y/o horse with issues already. HELP!!!!!! (I am doing a PPE but I am waiting on the vet to call me back with an appointment.)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
      #2
    Foal
    Edit: I forgot to say that she did give him bute after I rode him and was going to give it to him for a couple days.... does bute do anything for soreness?
         
        04-20-2009, 05:11 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Wow, she should have done some fitness or work with him before letting people try him. I bet that really killed his back.
         
        04-20-2009, 05:24 PM
      #4
    Foal
    I think that the soreness could be coming from him just not having enough muscle built up, and then having a fair amount of hours put on could be putting alot of stress around his back.

    Maybe you should ask the owner if you could take him on a 30 day trial and give him two weeks off (depending on what your vet will say about his back now), and then ride him for 15minutes to 20minutes for the last week and, maybe even have your vet come check him again during the last week.

    Also I'm pretty sure bute is more for inflammation rather then pain.. I could be wrong though!! Lol

    Hope this helps
         
        04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
      #5
    Foal
    For both of ya'lls sake, I'm hoping it's just soreness.

    A while back my aunt was having health issues and was in and out of the hospital. We had offered to care for her Oldenburg mare until she was stable. Two weeks after the mare was here we started to notice she was having some hip trouble. After a vet check we determined that it was soreness from the terrain. My aunt lives in FL were hills are almost nonexistent. We, however, live in TN.....in the hills.

    So maybe it is just from all the riding...? I wish I had some advice, but really the only thing you can do is wait for the vet.

    I hope everything turns out in your favor.

    Keep us updated.
         
        04-21-2009, 01:12 AM
      #6
    Foal
    I hope everything turns out okay too - I think I am going to have x-rays taken of his back and hindquarters. She said he was feeling better today and he was running and bucking in the paddock. They only vet I can get a hold of for a PPE is the vet that already knows Noble. Is it a bad idea to use him as the vet for the PPE? I want to have it done asap so I can bring him home! Unfortunately, they wont let me do a trial, I've tried. And I completely understand them not wanting to be liable for a horse that is not in their care.
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0