So I have had my gelding for a year and I have only been able to ride him a handful of times. He is spooky and I had a riding accident before I bought him and he was supposed to be my confidence booster and has only become a danger for me and has made me a spooky rider. I have put money into training had him vetted I just think we are a bad match. I had a girl come try him out to possibly part board him and he was bad for her too. But the barn owner where he is located rides him all the time with no issues and the previous owner was a male and he also had no issues. I think he is a horse that tests you and if he senses any kind of fear he will take advantage. So I am thinking after a year of trying everything possible we are just not suitable for each other. So I'm going to sell him I think.
I don't want to give up on him but other then switching barns to see if he is just spooky where he is currently located I don' really know what else to do.
So I have been looking into new horses, looking for something I can lease for a while and then decide whether it is the right match and I can purchase it.
So I found a horse that I like she is a Canadian Sport horse 17hh has shown everything from eventing to dressage to fox hunting to jumping she has done it all and shown it all and has always done well. She is 20years old and absolutely beautiful and the owner has had her for 13 years and learned how to ride on this mare. It takes a lot to spook this mare and she is very safe. I have ridden her once so far and it went prettty well.
However, I had contacted the previous owner of my gelding to let them know that I was considering selling him. They got back to me and said they would consider buying him back. I paid a lot of money for this gelding and feel I really want my money back but I talked to them again tonight and they have another horse that they think would be suitable for what I'm wanting. For a while I didn'y know whether or not to trust them but if they sold me a bad horse why would they offer to take him back? So now their suggesting me try out this other horse they have for a month to see if she is a good fit and if so we would just do a trade for my gelding for their mare. My boyfriend wants our money back he does not want me to trade as he thinks I can get a good horse for half of what I paid for my gelding especially with the horse industry in canada not doing too well at the moment so people are literally giving horses away. But if they don't buy him back then who is going to buy this gelding that I can't show? I will not get on him. There is no way someone is going to pay what I did a year ago for a horse that seems to only allow men to ride him safely.
I think it's worth trying out this horse the old owners are offering me...Am I stupid to think it may be a better match? Or should I just see if the barn owner where he is being boarded would buy him for whatever he would be willing to pay and just cut my loses and move on?
I am doing lessons with a coach that I love one day a week for now and starting in a couple weeks will be doing two lessons a week. She seems to think I should stick with a smaller horse that is trained both western and english as right now I am riding western until I get my confidence back as I feel safer in a western saddle so that 17hh horse has not been in western tack but the owner feels there would be no reason why she couldn't.
So I lease both horses....I don't know I'm so lost and just don't know where I should go with all this.
I love my gelding but it's pretty bad I have a horse I can't ride. I just want to have a horse that I can enjoy.