Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ? - Page 10
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ?

This is a discussion on Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    View Poll Results: Horse meat - Will you eat it ??
    Yes I would/have 20 16.53%
    Maybe.... I would probably try it. 23 19.01%
    No 41 33.88%
    NO!!! Its completely wrong !!!!! 37 30.58%
    Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
      #91
    Yearling
    Oh boy, was I not traumatized by such episodes as a kid LOL
    At least your folks made you understand the circle; my grandparents were obliviously negating it until the pet was in the soup pot.

    Story 1: The Dallas sheep family
    Grandma got some sheep and named them all by her favourite TV series, Dallas (yes, we saw that too and even made songs about it)
    My cousin got to own Pamela, I got Sue Ellen and Donna (not speaking any english back then actually made this even more hillarious)
    Although J.R. And Bobby ended up roast, as they were male, the sheep were supposed to live happily as dairy animals. However, Pamela developed some complications, could not process food and um...we got sent to play in the park, when we came back we found...lamb roast.
    I still remember my poor cousin's cry: "YOU MURDERERS! You ate my Pamela!"
    And actually except my grandma who muttered "what is all this nonsense, was I supposed to sit and watch the lamb die?" nobody could eat Pamela :) It had been personalized by my cousin's grief. It wasnt lamb meat anymore, it was Pamela's leg.

    Story 2: the pure white rabbit

    They were also raising rabbits and one day a pure white rabbit was born. I begged my grandpa to keep it for me and left to the other side of the country for 4 months.
    I returned to find a...pure white fur winter hat Kept just for me, yeh. I cried my heart out, lol.

    Perhaps things would have gone a bit better if our grandpa's would not have displayed such morbid sense of humor sometimes lolz
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
      #92
    Foal
    No, it's gross!
         
        07-22-2010, 04:23 PM
      #93
    Weanling
    Horse meat is soo healthy its very low is sodium and fat that's why its very popular when feed large cats the meat is very similar to wild game bu tits not tough so iv heard. I personaly can't wait to try it as long as the animal has been humanly slaughtered. I grew up off of our raised rabbits birds cows sheep and goats all while we had pet rabbits, pet birds, a pet calf that grew into a pet cow and we have always had our pet sheep and goats that help keep our propery cleared. So raising something to eat and having that same spiecies as a pet is jus natural, we where tough the difference between pets and agricultural stock.

    Specialy with soo many horses why not send the 100,000 unwanted horses to slaughter, I would rather see those animals have a quick protected death and be recycled into somthing good like food for our big cats in sanctuaries and zoos, or to feed a family in a third world country that can't eat its cattle because of mad cow desiese, or to jus feed an everyday family then to watch that animal starve an be neglected.
         
        07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
      #94
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
    You are arguing intelligence and that is a bit silly - a cow is JUST as smart as a horse, but it's ok to eat one and not the other?
    Do some reading. I never said it's wrong to eat horse or that we should pick which animals to eat based on intelligence.

    In my last post I was discussing attitudes towards animals in general.

    And as for dogs and cats, we don't eat them because they're CARNIVORES. Eating fellow carnivores is a very bad idea - Look it up.
         
        07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
      #95
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ponyboy    
    Do some reading. I never said it's wrong to eat horse or that we should pick which animals to eat based on intelligence.

    In my last post I was discussing attitudes towards animals in general.

    And as for dogs and cats, we don't eat them because they're CARNIVORES. Eating fellow carnivores is a very bad idea - Look it up.
    How about you explain yourself better instead of expecting the rest of the world to understand that you're attempting to make two separate points in the same run-on paragraph? Your argument began about insulting a dolphin's intelligence by comparing it to a starfish and ended with "I believe it's not ok to eat certain animals." Why on earth would I have deduced you were insinuating it based on intelligence?

    No, we don't eat them because of our CULTURE. The only issue with eating carnivores is the issue with high metal levels - ergo, why we're told to limit our salmon (and other predator fish) intake which is technically a carnivore if you want to get all smart and stuff. Predator fish are FAR worse for us then your average bear due to the contamination of the waters. Land wildlife is much less exposed to it.

    However, your argument becomes EXTRA ridiculous when you consider that, just like horses, the average dog or cat eaten in another country is probably eating dog/cat food or table scraps and ironically probably has LESS poison in it's flesh then the beef we pump full of steroids and all sorts of other fun chemicals that we defend in the name of production. Heck, any wildlife, regardless of being a carnivore or herbivore is probably better for you then the factory farmed animals we feed BACK to themselves.


         
        07-23-2010, 04:38 AM
      #96
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
    The only issue with eating carnivores is the issue with high metal levels - ergo, why we're told to limit our salmon (and other predator fish) intake which is technically a carnivore if you want to get all smart and stuff.

    Hang on, hang on, what?
    What's wrong with eating lots of salmon?
    I eat lots of salmon, smoked, in the oven, grilled, with sauce, you name it. It's one of the few fishes that actually has some taste for me.

    That's bad for your health? I'll have to google that!

    Wouldn't be the first time I gulp down over the limits an aliment. I was eating eggs daily for months until I found out you're supposed to eat maximum 3 per week.
         
        07-23-2010, 05:02 AM
      #97
    Foal
    I've eaten horse and foal multiple times. I'm Icelandic and over there we eat horse, puffin, minke whale and meats like that.

    However you don't eat horses that have been broke to ride, or old horses. Horses are raised often in massive herds that run semi-wild on huge mountain pastures. The horse breeders breed more than they need and then cull the unfortunate looking/moving ones before they start working on them.

    Sometimes they'll also slaughter a young horse they'd just started work on if it is being really hard to tame or dangerous.

    So I've most often eaten horse meat when I've gone to visit a horse farmer. I don't have issues with it, the horses lead pretty happy lives before they get killed. Much better than some pigs or chicken for example.
         
        07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
      #98
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inaclick    
    Hang on, hang on, what?
    What's wrong with eating lots of salmon?
    I eat lots of salmon, smoked, in the oven, grilled, with sauce, you name it. It's one of the few fishes that actually has some taste for me.

    That's bad for your health? I'll have to google that!

    Wouldn't be the first time I gulp down over the limits an aliment. I was eating eggs daily for months until I found out you're supposed to eat maximum 3 per week.
    Wait, what's wrong with eggs? I thought eggs were the magic food and we should eat tons of them!

    They have warning out on virtually all types of fish - but the big predator types like sharks are SUPER dangerous because they have such massive amounts of toxic metal in their system from eating the food smaller on the chain. Fish is excellent for you, but the farmed stuff is fed grain (which makes them sick and unhealthy and lacking in actual omega acids) and the wild stuff is chock full of toxic metal counts because of us polluting the waters so badly.

    I believe both salmon and tuna (tuna is another big one, high on the predator list) have warnings about amount of consumption, especially in pregnant women and children.

    EDIT - Sorry, I'm a tool, ignore me. It's not salmon, and you're also not Canadian so the rules can be COMPLETELY different for what you're eating out of your natural waters. The big alert is for shark and tuna types of fish, here's an example of the Canadian guidelines (which also outlines what ponyboy was so badly trying to argue about eating carnivores):

    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit...v-etud-eng.php

         
        07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
      #99
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Siggav    
    I've eaten horse and foal multiple times. I'm Icelandic and over there we eat horse, puffin, minke whale and meats like that.

    However you don't eat horses that have been broke to ride, or old horses. Horses are raised often in massive herds that run semi-wild on huge mountain pastures. The horse breeders breed more than they need and then cull the unfortunate looking/moving ones before they start working on them.

    Sometimes they'll also slaughter a young horse they'd just started work on if it is being really hard to tame or dangerous.

    So I've most often eaten horse meat when I've gone to visit a horse farmer. I don't have issues with it, the horses lead pretty happy lives before they get killed. Much better than some pigs or chicken for example.
    That is such an amazing example of the circle of life. My grandpa has Filipino friends and I'm always touched being around them because they have such reverence for animals and they use them ENTIRELY. Much like your people I imagine - it's not seen as taboo to eat them, it's just one of many purposes they serve and there's probably MORE respect for them as a fulfilling creature then anybody owning them solely as "pets" could understand. It's ok to dress them up in glitter slinkies but don't eat them!
         
        07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
      #100
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
    Wait, what's wrong with eggs? I thought eggs were the magic food and we should eat tons of them!
    I dunno, something about something in the yolk that forces your liver to work hard to process it and if you eat more than 3-4 / week you would risk messing up your liver.

    To be honest I did blood tests in that time when I was eating eggs daily and nothing came up wrong.

    But I do know 2 nutheads who made the a contest "who eats most boiled eggs" and ended up both in emergency room. The winner had gulped 34.

    P.S. I think the salmon we buy is imported, we definitely have no salmon in Romania. I'll check to see where from it's imported.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Fresh meat! alstaxidermy Meet the Community 7 05-29-2008 07:55 PM
    Meat and Milk from CLONED ANIMALS.... free_sprtd General Off Topic Discussion 4 02-03-2008 08:00 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0