Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ? - Page 13
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ?

This is a discussion on Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    View Poll Results: Horse meat - Will you eat it ??
    Yes I would/have 20 16.53%
    Maybe.... I would probably try it. 23 19.01%
    No 41 33.88%
    NO!!! Its completely wrong !!!!! 37 30.58%
    Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
      #121
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
    Indicating that you HAVE actually eaten them before? Sorry, I was just a bit confused by your statement!
    Ah yes, I had a bite or two a few years ago. I didn't like it so I will most likely never eat one again... Unless my mom forces me again
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
      #122
    Foal
    I don't eat any mammals. I don't really believe that humane slaughter exists, except possibly when done on a very small scale. Which is very rare. Commercial slaughterhouses are full of sadists, and the assembly line quotas mean that a lot of horrors take place.
    My husband does have the occasional steak when we go out to dinner, but I don't give him grief about it. Since he's no longer used to eating red meat very often, it almost always makes him sick later lol.
         
        07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
      #123
    Foal
    "I was personally very saddened when most if not all of America did away with the horse slaughters. They were run just like bovine slaughter houses and provided a last resort before starvation, abuse, and further neglect was a cause of death."

    I strongly suggest doing a little research on how being "stunned" with a captive bolt gun in a slaughterhouse effects a horse. The guns are designed for cattle. Horses are built completely differently from cattle. "Humane horse slaughter" has always been a myth. But I'm sure a myth that helps a lot of people sleep at night.


         
        07-27-2010, 02:14 PM
      #124
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artsyjenn    
    Commercial slaughterhouses are full of sadists
    And you know this how?

    When was the last time you worked in a slaughter house? Never? Yeah, that's what I thought.

    I find it interesting that you 'allow' your husband to eat meat, but condemn everyone else for doing it. Hypocrite much, dear?

    Plus, captive bolt guns are used all the time by vets as a euthing tool for horses as well as cattle.

    In fact, the next horse I need put down, instead of using chemical euthing, I'm either going to have it done by captive bolt or bullet. Faster, cleaner, and the animal doesn't suffer the way they can during a chemical euthing.

    You're the one who needs to do some actual research, instead of spewing PETA, HSUS and animal rights propaganda BS.
         
        07-27-2010, 02:36 PM
      #125
    Foal
    I don't lecture people who choose to eat meat, though I would say something if it were horses or cats or dogs. I feel that those are companion animals, not meat. I don't "allow" my husband to eat meat, he does what he wants. If he wants to go to the store, buy steak, bring it home, and cook it, I'm not going to say a word.
    I have done plenty of research on slaughter, read books, watched the videos, been to the killer horse auction etc. I don't think that former commercial slaughterhouse workers who report the horrors that they have seen are making up stories just for fun, nor do I think that people on hidden camera documentary video are just acting like sadists for the cameras. Taking life day after day, in a high pressure assembly line environment, is going to desensitize even a normal person eventually. What was once a horror isn't going to seem as awful if you see it day after day after day. That's just basic human nature.
    If any vets around here are using captive bolt guns to put horses down they keep it a pretty good secret. I've seen horses euthed by vets, and it's been IV. Besides, a CAPTIVE bolt gun doesn't kill an animal, it just stuns them so that the heart still beats and they will bleed out easier when the throat is slit and the animal is hung upside down.
    I have never read any information (on either the pro or con side, yes I've researched both sides) that mentioned slaughterhouses using a penetrating bolt gun to actually kill the horse prior to bleeding it out. I am certainly open to reading reliable testimony about humane horse slaughter. I've looked, and had yet to be able to find any such thing. I'm always open to hearing both sides.
         
        07-27-2010, 02:42 PM
      #126
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artsyjenn    
    Commercial slaughterhouses are full of sadists, and the assembly line quotas mean that a lot of horrors take place.

    And you have gathered this information how...?

    No they are not. They are full of honest people trying to earn a living so that they can go home and feed their families. You assume that just because they work in a slaughter house that they are evil, vindictive, and sadist people that are crazy about murdering animals, right?

    There used be a slaughter house about twenty five minutes from my house, and I knew a lot of people that worked there. None of them were "sadists." Most of them were mothers and fathers who came upon hard times and had to find a job quick so their babies at home would not starve, and the slaughterhouse was usually hiring, so it was what they had to do. Not only that, I've visited a couple of other slaughter houses when they were still legal in the states just to see what was going on, and I never met one single person that came off as a sadist.

    Don't stereotype people just because you think you know what you are talking about or read some book probably written by an insane member of PETA telling you that slaughterhouses are full of murderers. Those videos you watched? They are probably biased as all get out, too. Don't believe everything you read or see in a video. Research is one thing, but actually going out and looking at it face to face is another.
         
        07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
      #127
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artsyjenn    
    Besides, a CAPTIVE bolt gun doesn't kill an animal, it just stuns them so that the heart still beats and they will bleed out easier when the throat is slit and the animal is hung upside down.
    Incorrect. Captive bolts do indeed kill the animal. The bolt destroys the brain, which is the control center for all the other organs and higher functions. Without brain activity, death occurs.

    The reason for slitting the throat and hanging the body in a slaughter situation is to let the last few heart beats help drain the blood out of the animal. Blood soaked meat is inedible, which means draining is a necessary part of the slaughter process. In a euth situation, the animal has no reason to be drained of blood.

    So by your argument a regular bullet shouldn't actually kill an animal, since it effectively does the same thing as a bolt gun. I don't think anyone would argue that getting shot in the head with a bullet kills you.

    Racetrack vets use captive bolts, from what I understand. I also know that vets in the you.K. Use them as a euthanasia option. Many of them prefer the bolt or a regular gun, as opposed to chemical euthing. As I said, it's faster and cleaner.

    You're not doing much actual research if all your arguments are based on propaganda videos. Many of them are not only edited to show something as being a regular occurrence when it fact it rarely happens, but some of them are also staged by the people filming the so-called 'expose'.
         
        07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
      #128
    Foal
    I didn't say that they were all sadists! But there is plenty of undercover video out there that shows absolutely horrific things taking place on kill floors in slaughterhouses. Plenty of testimony out there from former slaughterhouse workers about the deliberate atrocities they have seen committed on animals, and even admitted to participating themselves. Some of them say things like "I feel really bad about it now, but the pressure to keep things moving, and seeing so many animals killed, after awhile we'd kind of forget that they were living things with feelings..." I doubt that many of them at the time went home and told their friends and family "Hey, anyone wanna hear about how Bob and I scalded a pig alive today on purpose!?!?"
    Do I believe that humane slaughter exists? Absolutely. Unfortunately most of the small scale "boutique" operations that can take the time to do it right are being forced out of business by the factory operations. Do I believe that it exists in most large scale commercial slaughterhouses? No. I'm sure that some animals do get a quick painless death at those places. Others perish horribly. Some with deliberate cruelty, but more often just the result of assembly line mistakes and oversights.
    I am not a PETA nut. I don't support PETA, because although I think they do some good things to bring worthy causes to light, they discredit their good work with the looney tune stuff, and I think that Ingrid Newkirk is insane (really insane, not just "Oh she's crazy...).
    I have no problem with animals being raised for food, treated humanely, and then humanely slaughtered. Right now those 3 things only seem to happen together in a very small, niche market.
         
        07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
      #129
    Foal
    I'm looking around on the internet right now, and just keep finding things that say that the object of the bolt gun in horse slaughterhouses is to stun the horse, not kill it. If you can direct me to some information that explains otherwise, I will happily read it. Like I said, I am happy to get as much information as I can, on both sides. I'm sure that a vet using a bolt gun in a controlled situation, where they can take their time and properly restrain the horse, would probably be a different scenario.
    I'm not going to bother with anything that came from any type of pro animal site, because I can see that it will automatically be discounted as "propoganda".
         
        07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
      #130
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artsyjenn    
    I didn't say that they were all sadists! But there is plenty of undercover video out there that shows absolutely horrific things taking place on kill floors in slaughterhouses. Plenty of testimony out there from former slaughterhouse workers about the deliberate atrocities they have seen committed on animals, and even admitted to participating themselves. Some of them say things like "I feel really bad about it now, but the pressure to keep things moving, and seeing so many animals killed, after awhile we'd kind of forget that they were living things with feelings..." I doubt that many of them at the time went home and told their friends and family "Hey, anyone wanna hear about how Bob and I scalded a pig alive today on purpose!?!?"
    Do I believe that humane slaughter exists? Absolutely. Unfortunately most of the small scale "boutique" operations that can take the time to do it right are being forced out of business by the factory operations. Do I believe that it exists in most large scale commercial slaughterhouses? No. I'm sure that some animals do get a quick painless death at those places. Others perish horribly. Some with deliberate cruelty, but more often just the result of assembly line mistakes and oversights.
    I am not a PETA nut. I don't support PETA, because although I think they do some good things to bring worthy causes to light, they discredit their good work with the looney tune stuff, and I think that Ingrid Newkirk is insane (really insane, not just "Oh she's crazy...).
    I have no problem with animals being raised for food, treated humanely, and then humanely slaughtered. Right now those 3 things only seem to happen together in a very small, niche market.
    I'm just wondering, do you not eat cereals, grains, bread, etc etc..... Harvested plant foods.

    I am sure you do.....do you know how many free range animals die in combine machines to give you grains, etc.....??? Isn't that just as bad? I think a quick death for farmed meat is much more humane than the slow, agonizing death of non food animals such as squirrels, field mice, cute little bunnies being torn limb from limb in a combine and then just left to bleed to death in their agony in the field so that you can have wheat, oats, barley, corn....

    If you are going to go all "humane" on us, you might as well go the distance and not eat anything except what you humanely grow yourself in your own yard...otherwise you are just as guilty of killing of hundreds of lil creatures in a very inhumane way!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Fresh meat! alstaxidermy Meet the Community 7 05-29-2008 07:55 PM
    Meat and Milk from CLONED ANIMALS.... free_sprtd General Off Topic Discussion 4 02-03-2008 08:00 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0