Horse is petrified! Not sure what do to??? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 77Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,249
• Horses: 0
I would say that if the tractor is in the pasture it needs to be moved. I have seen horses left out with pick up trucks in the pasture with horrible results. The horse ran towards the barn and hit the tail gate, the horse opened its knee joint and had to be euthanized. Horses pastured with machinery is just a bad combination. Look at the number of sharp edges on the machines, great for cutting oneself open. Now look at the soft rubber coverings on levers that can be eaten and cause colic.

I would also say that if this tractor has a front end loader and this is a new behavior that maybe there is a smell associated with the tractor. Ie. Did the son use the bucket to carry a dead animal for burial? Then its not the machine but the smell that is worrying your horse. I would say time and desensitization, but get the tractor out of the pasture.
rookie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eastern Montana
Posts: 194
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Without a professional to help I see perfect situation to get killed. And don't say go find one cause i've looked before none in my area.
It sounds like it needs to be moved but in the meantime you may want to help your horse and you. Try using approach and retreat to get him over it. There has to be a distance where he isn't scared of it, go just inside that distance so he gets just a little nervous and start moving his feet. Doesn't have to be hard or fast, just keep him moving. Once he shows some sign of relaxing...walk him away from it. Do that several times till that distance has no effect on him, then move closer and repeat. It may take awhile but you can them over nearly anything by being patient and using approach and retreat.

My daughters horse had an unrealistic fear of plastic bags and tarps. We got him over his tarp issue the same way...and he did the same thing, ran away, shook all over etc. Apparently he heard the rumor going around the pasture...tarps eat horses! have fun and be careful.

Cheers!
Les
tinyliny and Prairie Rose like this.
LesandLily is offline  
post #23 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
We can think of horror stories to relate but there are thousands of horses pastured with equipment, derelict vehicles with none getting hurt. It may not be the machine itself but when someone emerged from it and walked away. Horses don't see things with the acuity we do. Feed your horse just inside the area that has the machine as far away as possible. Put the hay on the ground and leave him alone. It's his issue to deal with. Do this when he's a little hungry.
Prairie Rose and Thunderspark like this.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #24 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brandon, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1,045
• Horses: 4
shaggy, are you getting nervous when you are leading the horse near there because the horse can sense that and will get worked up.
My hubby works for a construction company, he has brought all kinds of backhoes, front end loaders, etc. here and my horses don't even bother about it.....to me it sounds like your horse needs some desensitizing and learn to trust you and you need some confidence also.
During the summer I let all the horses out in my yard, it has helped with desensitizing them to all kind of things and then when we do go out riding they don't get so worked up about something unusual to them.
Prairie Rose likes this.

My horses are the joy in my life.....
Thunderspark is offline  
post #25 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 9,420
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Honestly Idk what it is. I just know its one of those digger things you see in road construction all the time. They can't get around its huge and taking up the whole area next to the hay.
Maybe I am missing something that's more complicated but I don't really see what the big deal is.

Go talk to your BO and say 'hey, my horses can't get to their hay/water, could you please move the equipment so they can access that? Thank you, have a nice evening'.
AlexS is offline  
post #26 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 425
• Horses: 2
I had a similar situation with an evil, horse eating station wagon parked in an unusual place. It took an hour or so of walking towards it and away from it and then back and forth in front of it and finally in circles around it before my boy stopped acting like a fool.
Prairie Rose likes this.

When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure. - Peter Marshall
http://tarpanbeadworks.deviantart.com/
Tarpan is offline  
post #27 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,367
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesandLily View Post
It sounds like it needs to be moved but in the meantime you may want to help your horse and you. Try using approach and retreat to get him over it. There has to be a distance where he isn't scared of it, go just inside that distance so he gets just a little nervous and start moving his feet. Doesn't have to be hard or fast, just keep him moving. Once he shows some sign of relaxing...walk him away from it. Do that several times till that distance has no effect on him, then move closer and repeat. It may take awhile but you can them over nearly anything by being patient and using approach and retreat.

My daughters horse had an unrealistic fear of plastic bags and tarps. We got him over his tarp issue the same way...and he did the same thing, ran away, shook all over etc. Apparently he heard the rumor going around the pasture...tarps eat horses! have fun and be careful.

Cheers!
Les
I like this idea I'm on my way to barn now I think I'm going to try it! Thanks so much!
Prairie Rose likes this.

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle

Last edited by shaggy; 11-30-2012 at 03:23 PM.
shaggy is offline  
post #28 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,367
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspark View Post
shaggy, are you getting nervous when you are leading the horse near there because the horse can sense that and will get worked up.
My hubby works for a construction company, he has brought all kinds of backhoes, front end loaders, etc. here and my horses don't even bother about it.....to me it sounds like your horse needs some desensitizing and learn to trust you and you need some confidence also.
During the summer I let all the horses out in my yard, it has helped with desensitizing them to all kind of things and then when we do go out riding they don't get so worked up about something unusual to them.
I didn't think I was but I admit I was startled when I saw that big thing there in there. Lol

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
post #29 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,367
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
I would say that if the tractor is in the pasture it needs to be moved. I have seen horses left out with pick up trucks in the pasture with horrible results. The horse ran towards the barn and hit the tail gate, the horse opened its knee joint and had to be euthanized. Horses pastured with machinery is just a bad combination. Look at the number of sharp edges on the machines, great for cutting oneself open. Now look at the soft rubber coverings on levers that can be eaten and cause colic.

I would also say that if this tractor has a front end loader and this is a new behavior that maybe there is a smell associated with the tractor. Ie. Did the son use the bucket to carry a dead animal for burial? Then its not the machine but the smell that is worrying your horse. I would say time and desensitization, but get the tractor out of the pasture.
It's not in the middle of field it's stored in the big shed behind the stalls next to where the hay is stored.

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
post #30 of 131 Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brandon, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1,045
• Horses: 4
well sometimes all of us can be nervous and not even realize it LOL Good luck and hopefully you can get that thing moved or work with it....

My horses are the joy in my life.....
Thunderspark is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petrified of trail riding/hacking. DuffyDuck Trail Riding 53 03-12-2012 03:21 PM
Ridiing in my first Clinic today - and I'm petrified! Cinnys Whinny Dressage 8 09-21-2010 10:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome