horse rears
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

horse rears

This is a discussion on horse rears within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse rears when loading
  • Horses rears when scared

Like Tree12Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-15-2013, 12:09 AM
  #1
Foal
horse rears

My horse rears at random times but mostly when. She doesn't want to do something, and only when I'm on her. The worst has been getting her to go over a 1/2 pvc pipe on the ground. I've worked her in the round pen running walking and trotting and she's flawless with it but when I'm on her she is scared of it and rears sometimes any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-15-2013, 12:11 AM
  #2
Trained
Mmm, so is it when she doesn't want to do something, or when she is scared? Is it a full out rear, or just a little lift at the front as she spins to run away?
barrelbeginner likes this.
     
    09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
  #3
Yearling
Is she maybe in pain somewhere? Where are your hands right before she rears? I have a gelding who rears, his previous owners would get scared and pull on his mouth when he did something that startled them, which would startle him, and hed go up to get away from the pressure of the bit. Anything from a couple inches off the ground to full on omg he's going to flip type stuff. They'd get more scared and get off, thus rewarding the behavior. So now, when he's done working, he throws his head and does these little pop rears.
     
    09-15-2013, 04:02 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
Mmm, so is it when she doesn't want to do something, or when she is scared? Is it a full out rear, or just a little lift at the front as she spins to run away?
She has reared full out 3 times the other times were half rears or less the first few times were my fault I pulled to hard the other times I think would be afraid of something, so far I havnt let her get away with it we keep going at it until she does what I want I just know the rearing is dangerous so I'm trying to fix it I just know a lot about this area of training
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  #5
Trained
Which is why the best and ONLY advice with full on rearing is get a trainer, if you don't know how to fix it, you probably haven't got the skills either.

That is in no way saying anything bad about you, 90% of us would send a horse like that to a trainer. 5% would risk injury by doing it themselves, the last 5% have both the skill and knowledge that they need.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-15-2013, 04:59 PM
  #6
Weanling
Totally agreeing with the need of a trainer.

It's hard to give advice without seeing what is going on. One common way a horse learns to rear is when it stops at a scary thing: the rider pushes forward (leg) and then rider is unsure/afraid of the horse's reaction, and holds the reins back at the same time.

You need to go back to basics, work on the ground. Make sure the horse moves the hind legs sideways on cue. Then in the saddle, when facing a refusal, keep the horse working: disengage the hind, turns on the shoulders, backing etc. Then relax when facing the obstacle. Wait for signs of relaxation before asking to go forward.
EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
     
    09-15-2013, 05:55 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eole    
Totally agreeing with the need of a trainer.

It's hard to give advice without seeing what is going on. One common way a horse learns to rear is when it stops at a scary thing: the rider pushes forward (leg) and then rider is unsure/afraid of the horse's reaction, and holds the reins back at the same time.

You need to go back to basics, work on the ground. Make sure the horse moves the hind legs sideways on cue. Then in the saddle, when facing a refusal, keep the horse working: disengage the hind, turns on the shoulders, backing etc. Then relax when facing the obstacle. Wait for signs of relaxation before asking to go forward.
Ok trainer is not an option I can't afford it so I'm stuck fixing it my self. That could be what happen the last time she reared. So basically make sure she's relaxed and no mouth pressure when I'm pushing her at an obstacle?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-15-2013, 06:26 PM
  #8
Yearling
Pain or tack fit? I would rule that out first.
     
    09-15-2013, 06:36 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneriding    
Pain or tack fit? I would rule that out first.
Tack fits perfect and she's not in pain I've checked that all multiple times
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
  #10
Foal
This is what I've got out of this chat. If she's starting to rear make sure that I don't try to correct with mouth pressure
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you buy a horse that rears? LinkIsAGenius Horse Talk 41 10-17-2012 02:14 PM
Horse WILL NOT stand and he rears?? Help! Sis Driving 8 05-22-2012 05:36 PM
Help, my horse rears while bridling! fkonidaris Horse Training 23 02-01-2012 03:58 PM
Horse Rears easily..? Baylee Horse Training 9 05-23-2011 05:29 AM
Horse Rears When Clipping DoubleJ2 Horse Grooming 5 03-03-2011 09:07 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0