There was a breeding operation gone wrong. The guy's sister had been feeding and taking care of the 30 plus horses for the last three years. Then the guy decides that he is tired of 'taking care of' all these horses, so he decides to ship them all.
Side note: I do believe that horse slaughter has it's place. But when there are perfectly good horses why not step in an help them out... : end of side note...
The sister talked the her brother into letting her talk to a horse rescue and seeing if they would take the horses. The brother agreed, but had to get 'meat price' for them. The rescue put up pictures and asked people to donate and buy the horses. For this operation they didn't make anyone go through the forms and normal procedures to buy/adopt a horse. It was $400 a horse straight across (that includes meat price and fuel costs for the rescue to go and pick up the horses).
At first I didn't think I would get one, just because if I did it wouldn't be worked with for about a year, as I am going out to BC this summer (I've mentioned it before, but for those who don't know, I got an internship working with horses). I did donate some money to help out. One little 4 year old sorrel mare caught my eye but I kept telling myself that I didn't need another horse. That was rather useless cause even though we never 'need' another horse... They seem to accumulate nonetheless.
After a couple weeks, there were three horses that hadn't been adopted yet (they hadn't picked the horses up), the little mare was one of them. I called my Mum and talked to her about it, and asked if they would have enough hay.
Then I just decided to bite the bullet and go for it, as long as I could find a ride for her to get home. Turns out one of Dad and Mum's neighbor's will be hauling one of her TB's (she raises and races them) to a town about 45 minutes from where the rescue is, in mid March. She offered to pick my horse if I paid for the extra fuel. So I did it! I bought the horse!
She is possibly bred for an October foal. The rescue just went and picked up the herd (minus the stallion, who the guy wasn't willing to part with... ), yesterday. They will be doing coggins and preg checking the mares on the 25th.
I will be hopefully heading to Dad and Mum's on the 27th of May to spend a week there before I come back here and pack for going to BC. In that time I hope to halter break and do some ground training on her. Besides of doing some riding on my gelding.
So, now that you know her story... I would introduce you to my new girl....
I will post more pics of her when the rescue can get some more put on FB.
Here are couple of the stallion that she was exposed to.
If she is in foal, here's to hoping for a bald face paint. The gal from the rescue says, "she is SOOOO sweet!! Loves scratches & attention. She is quiet & very sensible. She is a thinker & not a risk taker!"
I can hardly wait until May to see her!