Horse talk for mature people over 40 - Page 49
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horse talk for mature people over 40

This is a discussion on Horse talk for mature people over 40 within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Need a good quite horse for older woman
  • 49 mature

Like Tree59952Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-28-2012, 10:38 PM
  #481
Trained
Hi Texas breezin
Nice to meet you
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
  #482
Trained
I am getting annoyed with Hubby cause he is putting off my boots and helmet
I told him I need my boots soon so I can break them in
He thinks I can get the boots 2 days before I go riding
And I won't ride with out the helmet
     
    03-01-2012, 12:36 AM
  #483
Foal
Hello! I've really enjoyed reading here and seeing all of your photos.

I'm 48, inching closer horseback riding again. I last rode 28 years ago. Up until 5 years ago we always lived in the city, had busy lives with college, work, raising a family, and I never had the opportunity to do anything with my lifelong love and interest in horses. But now I can with our last child getting through high school. We're in the superb country location to own a horse or two, hoping to make it happen in a year or two or once we feel we've learned what we need to.

In the meantime, I have done lots of ground work with abused and neglected horses at various rescues to the point I am very confident handling them and feel ready to ride. The horses I rode in the past were draft horses or percherons and that's what I want to get back on again. I always felt safer on the big boys in the past. The horse I will start lessons on is a beautiful sound mellow older draft cross/???. A year ago I was terrified to get back to it. Today, I am very excited.

I've been working out at a gym and stretching at home regularly for the last few months hoping to get this 48-year-old body ready to handle it. Just walking and getting used to balance I think will be a challenge for me.

I've had some say it's kind of silly to start this at my age. Even at the rescues I work at, most working in horse rescue are teenagers with only a few my age range. I'm not letting what everyone says stop me though.

Happy to be a part of this group.
     
    03-01-2012, 12:51 AM
  #484
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheWoods02114    
Hello! I've really enjoyed reading here and seeing all of your photos.

I'm 48, inching closer horseback riding again. I last rode 28 years ago. Up until 5 years ago we always lived in the city, had busy lives with college, work, raising a family, and I never had the opportunity to do anything with my lifelong love and interest in horses. But now I can with our last child getting through high school. We're in the superb country location to own a horse or two, hoping to make it happen in a year or two or once we feel we've learned what we need to.

In the meantime, I have done lots of ground work with abused and neglected horses at various rescues to the point I am very confident handling them and feel ready to ride. The horses I rode in the past were draft horses or percherons and that's what I want to get back on again. I always felt safer on the big boys in the past. The horse I will start lessons on is a beautiful sound mellow older draft cross/???. A year ago I was terrified to get back to it. Today, I am very excited.

I've been working out at a gym and stretching at home regularly for the last few months hoping to get this 48-year-old body ready to handle it. Just walking and getting used to balance I think will be a challenge for me.

I've had some say it's kind of silly to start this at my age. Even at the rescues I work at, most working in horse rescue are teenagers with only a few my age range. I'm not letting what everyone says stop me though.

Happy to be a part of this group.
Hi Lostinthewoods
Nice to meet you
I am sort of in the same boat as you are
     
    03-01-2012, 12:52 AM
  #485
Yearling
Welcome lostinthewoods!

Don't listen to what others say, follow your dream, you won't believe how good for the soul it is. Riding will hurt more than you remember, in places you didnt know could hurt...but youll also feel much younger! I feel like a kid agsin every time I pull into the barn.
     
    03-01-2012, 12:54 AM
  #486
Trained
Follow your dream
     
    03-01-2012, 12:54 AM
  #487
Foal
Hello there! Yes, I know! I've spent quite a bit of time this evening reading through all of this, and I thought the same. Very nice to meet you as well. Have you thought of doing work with rescues? This is how I've had my "fix" for quite a while now. Very rewarding, especially experiencing very successful rehabs of many over time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Woman    
Hi Lostinthewoods
Nice to meet you
I am sort of in the same boat as you are
     
    03-01-2012, 12:56 AM
  #488
Trained
Well No that would be a dream
I am not sure where to start
     
    03-01-2012, 01:04 AM
  #489
Foal
Thank you With Grace. So true. Just being with them on the ground and nurturing them has been so good for my soul. I've been dealing with health problems and the more time I spend at the farms, watching them graze, even mucking the stalls and shoveling out the paddocks, I find it all so therapeutic and while there, not a worry in the world.

Yes, I'm bracing myself for the pain. Have lost so much flexibility through the years, and this guy is a very big horse, so we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by With Grace    
Welcome lostinthewoods!

Don't listen to what others say, follow your dream, you won't believe how good for the soul it is. Riding will hurt more than you remember, in places you didnt know could hurt...but youll also feel much younger! I feel like a kid agsin every time I pull into the barn.
     
    03-01-2012, 01:09 AM
  #490
Foal
If you can find a horse rescue run by the state or private non-profit, they are always looking for people to volunteer. Just spending time with them, getting them used to human interaction and massage, grooming, feeding them treats, leading them..little things


Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Woman    
well No that would be a dream
I am not sure where to start
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0