Horse talk for mature people over 40 - Page 502
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horse talk for mature people over 40

This is a discussion on Horse talk for mature people over 40 within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Granny horse
  • Pony with hairloss on muzzel

Like Tree47394Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-18-2012, 09:06 PM
  #5011
Started
002.jpg

003.jpg

A couple of photos of Stella and not at her best. You can see the skin on her neck that is what resulted within 5 days of the tick collar being used. I do not know how quick the reaction was as I did not see her for a few days but was shocked at the skin and removed the collar. Her muzzle is also a little bare of hair. In her winter coat so that adds to the shagy look. But then again I have always described Stella as a tart. No insult intended, in my younger days I also had an interest, perhaps that is why Stella appealed to me A tart in New Zealand is not a women of the night, but can be mistaken for a sweet pie one has with custard and ice cream. But, is better known for its a defiant look, with a hint of fun and adventure and the chase what more can in say, boy did we enjoy the chase. Easily distracted I am, back to Stella.

New treatment started today I'm washing her with a soap impregnated with neem oil designd for animals and horses. I think this could take a while but as long as it does not worsen then I'm on the right track. Tomorrow I am also buying a product designed to remove unwanted toxins from her gut. At great cost I might add.
I surpose I could always shoot her and buy a new horse. I have just brought a new shotgun that needs a tryout, a single ball shot will do the trick. What do you think, suggestions always greatfully recieved.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
  #5012
Yearling
Stan, if you shoot her you will never know if your loving and expensive treatments will work.

And, you will never get your saddle back as "she" will assume ownership rather than see it go to waste.

I suggest, therefore, that you continue with what sounds to me to be a very good plan. I think the head and muzzle hair loss is from her rubbing herself and helping along the natural spreading of the chemicals. The only other thing I would do to add to what you're doing, is -- if you don't see results immediately -- to assume that some of the oil remains and to bathe her in a gentle bath of Dawn dishwashing liquid to get the oil off her skin. I don't know if baby shampoo would do the job but I think Dawn is very gentle - I use it on myself and the environmentalists use it on birds caught in oil spills. To me, that proves it's both gentle and effective.

After ensuring the removal of the external chemicals, I'd stay with the soothing/healing oils that you're using for external healing and the internal probiotics/supplements you're giving her to heal from within.
Stan likes this.
     
    08-18-2012, 09:55 PM
  #5013
Weanling
You know this thread seriously is the best on this site..just sayin'
     
    08-18-2012, 10:00 PM
  #5014
Yearling
Oh Stan, poor Stella. Just keep assuring her that she is still pretty. You know some ladies can get insecure about their looks.

Seriously, I hope that clears up for her quickly.

I had both a great day and a horrible day. I started a thread in the horse health section about the horrible part of my day. It is about hubby's horse and you can read it there if you are curious. It makes me sad to write it all down again.

The good part of my day was the BO/ trainer at my boarding facility helped me with a problem I have been having with Izzy.

I have only cantered Izzy 3 times and all 3 times I had to make her stop because I couldn't sit it correctly and it was super fast. She is a TB and I am used to QH so I was a little intimidated.

The BO took us into the round pen today in within 20 minutes, we were cantering like a pro! I was able to feel her rhythm and I didn't bounce in the saddle at all. The BO made me canter without stirrups! I never thought I could do that but it felt so good and so natural. Izzy liked it too...her ears were forward and she listened to all my cues.

She will canter from a standstill with just a kissing noise. I have never ridden a horse this well trained before...and I still have to pinch myself to believe I actually own her!

Today proved, once again, that 9 times out of 10, it is the rider that needs the training, not the horse!

After my 20 minute lesson, I took her into the arena to make sure I could transfer what I learned to another environment. I kissed the air and she went into the smoothest, most controlled canter I have ever felt.

We ended by running some barrells. Obviously, my girl had barrel raced before, she took that first barrel at a canter and it was tight!

I learn to love her more every day. She is a very independent horse and I get the feeling she could take or leave me, but I think she is learning to love me too!
     
    08-19-2012, 12:40 AM
  #5015
Trained
Please don't shoot her Stan
She still is a good horse
     
    08-19-2012, 01:58 AM
  #5016
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytrails    
Stan, if you shoot her you will never know if your loving and expensive treatments will work.

And, you will never get your saddle back as "she" will assume ownership rather than see it go to waste.

I suggest, therefore, that you continue with what sounds to me to be a very good plan. I think the head and muzzle hair loss is from her rubbing herself and helping along the natural spreading of the chemicals. The only other thing I would do to add to what you're doing, is -- if you don't see results immediately -- to assume that some of the oil remains and to bathe her in a gentle bath of Dawn dishwashing liquid to get the oil off her skin. I don't know if baby shampoo would do the job but I think Dawn is very gentle - I use it on myself and the environmentalists use it on birds caught in oil spills. To me, that proves it's both gentle and effective.

After ensuring the removal of the external chemicals, I'd stay with the soothing/healing oils that you're using for external healing and the internal probiotics/supplements you're giving her to heal from within.
I had fogotten about the saddle and you are right. She who must would grab it, of that I have no doubt. That on its own is reason enough to put away the shot gun and continue with medication of one course or another. The shampoo is also on the buy list. Thanks for that, and saving my saddle
Ladytrails and Foxhunter like this.
     
    08-19-2012, 02:10 AM
  #5017
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Woman    
Please don't shoot her Stan
She still is a good horse

Don't worry CW I could never hurt Stella she is, after all of the ups and downs we nave been through, my horse. She has a home with me for the rest of her life. She is only 8 so she will out live me. As for her skin, eventually I will find the answer.
My comment to shoot her was tongue in cheek. And me letting a little frustration out
     
    08-19-2012, 02:35 AM
  #5018
Yearling
Well I for one was never concerned about you shooting Stella, Stan...
Stan likes this.
     
    08-19-2012, 02:56 AM
  #5019
Super Moderator
Stan When I had my skin problems the only thing that stopped the irritation was Neem. I bought a cream which had a slightly scented smell. Pure Neem stinks!
I would suggest that you get the pure Neem, use 2 tablespoonful to 1 litre of hot water and 1 tablespoonful of liquid shampoo or soap, and wash that all over her. It would be stronger than the soap and really does help with keeping the ticks away.
All our dogs need and enforced bath in it, I haven't done it for a while and they are getting ticks again.
The chickens also need doing. No sign of red mites but better to be safe than sorry. The birds look so funny as they try to strut away with dignity. Little hope of that as they are soaking wet!

The dogs see me fill the skip and put it on the back of the ATV - I usually do them in the evening so they are hanging about thinking it is feed time. They want feed but not a bath. The little dogs get brought out, they will slink into the house, easy with them as I just scruff them and dunk them into the skip, a couple of stirs and they are done. The big dogs will be at a distance watching.
Funny how normally obedient dogs can turn profoundly deaf when you call their name and they know what is coming. It is also surprising how they can dig their toes in and go stiff legged so dragging them within reach becomes quite a challenge!
I sponge it all over them. Of course by the time I have finished I am free of mites, ticks and fleas and no flies come within miles of me!

We have a wonderful herbal product here in the UK called NAF D-tox. I swear by it. Made for horses I use it for anything and everything including myself. It totally alters the immune system. I would have Stella on that as she obviously has had a bad reaction to the collar. I would send you some but it will not go through your customs - I have tried before.
Stan and darlaflack like this.
     
    08-19-2012, 03:26 AM
  #5020
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
Stan When I had my skin problems the only thing that stopped the irritation was Neem. I bought a cream which had a slightly scented smell. Pure Neem stinks!
I would suggest that you get the pure Neem, use 2 tablespoonful to 1 litre of hot water and 1 tablespoonful of liquid shampoo or soap, and wash that all over her. It would be stronger than the soap and really does help with keeping the ticks away.
All our dogs need and enforced bath in it, I haven't done it for a while and they are getting ticks again.
The chickens also need doing. No sign of red mites but better to be safe than sorry. The birds look so funny as they try to strut away with dignity. Little hope of that as they are soaking wet!

The dogs see me fill the skip and put it on the back of the ATV - I usually do them in the evening so they are hanging about thinking it is feed time. They want feed but not a bath. The little dogs get brought out, they will slink into the house, easy with them as I just scruff them and dunk them into the skip, a couple of stirs and they are done. The big dogs will be at a distance watching.
Funny how normally obedient dogs can turn profoundly deaf when you call their name and they know what is coming. It is also surprising how they can dig their toes in and go stiff legged so dragging them within reach becomes quite a challenge!
I sponge it all over them. Of course by the time I have finished I am free of mites, ticks and fleas and no flies come within miles of me!

We have a wonderful herbal product here in the UK called NAF D-tox. I swear by it. Made for horses I use it for anything and everything including myself. It totally alters the immune system. I would have Stella on that as she obviously has had a bad reaction to the collar. I would send you some but it will not go through your customs - I have tried before.
I can see the chickens that made me laugh and washing a dog been through that myself. Stella has developed a little quirk she now shakes herself when I am under her head scrubbing her chest. I think its pay back.

Any idea what is in the detox, and the neem oil is being used, but I will mix what you recommend and try it and if I smell bad, the worst that can happen is I have to take a holiday from work, and she who must will lock me out. That wont be a first.
     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0