Horse Talk for Teens! - Page 110
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horse Talk for Teens!

This is a discussion on Horse Talk for Teens! within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree631Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-10-2013, 03:32 PM
      #1091
    Weanling
    I hate flys They drive me nuts in the spring and summer where I live. I go through like two fly strips a week in my horse's stalls.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-11-2013, 03:08 AM
      #1092
    Trained
    They're not so bad where I live but where I work they're terrible!

    OK so guys... I have sad news. I've made the heartbreaking decision to have my filly euthed. She's just not pasture sound, and most likely isn't going to be. Even if I throw $3000+ at her [diagnosis confirmation and then surgery costs] she only has about a 50% chance of ever being pasture sound.
         
        01-11-2013, 06:30 AM
      #1093
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue eyed pony    
    They're not so bad where I live but where I work they're terrible!

    OK so guys... I have sad news. I've made the heartbreaking decision to have my filly euthed. She's just not pasture sound, and most likely isn't going to be. Even if I throw $3000+ at her [diagnosis confirmation and then surgery costs] she only has about a 50% chance of ever being pasture sound.
    Oh my goodness! I'm so so sorry!!!!! What happened with her?

    At least you still have your other horse(s) right?!?!?!!
         
        01-11-2013, 06:41 AM
      #1094
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Almond Joy    
    Oh my goodness! I'm so so sorry!!!!! What happened with her?

    At least you still have your other horse(s) right?!?!?!!
    She went lame a few months ago, vet tentatively diagnosed OCD but didn't want to do xrays without giving her a chance to come good first. Treated with joint injections which did help briefly and box rest. Horse went utterly stir-crazy and had to be put back in the pasture, was ok for a time, but recently went lame again.

    I'm already in debt from all her vet fees and while I can go so far as xrays and ultrasound for a definite diagnosis, I cannot afford the $2500 per joint it will cost to have surgery done if the vet is right. If the vet is WRONG, it's juvenile arthritis, and totally unfixable. So basically, ****ed if I do, ****ed if I don't.

    Nothing has been done re euthing her yet, because it's a logistical nightmare where I live to dispose of the body [local law states it is illegal to bury a carcass and this time of year it would be total idiocy to burn one; cremating at the special crematorium costs $1600] so I have to figure out how to do that before I can put her out of her pain. But I do still have Monty, so I won't be totally horseless. It just hurts. Magic's stolen my heart and in the past five months we've both grown and learned and healed each other more than I thought possible..
         
        01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
      #1095
    Yearling
    I'm so sorry, blue eyed!
    Cinder and ParaIndy like this.
         
        01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
      #1096
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue eyed pony    
    She went lame a few months ago, vet tentatively diagnosed OCD but didn't want to do xrays without giving her a chance to come good first. Treated with joint injections which did help briefly and box rest. Horse went utterly stir-crazy and had to be put back in the pasture, was ok for a time, but recently went lame again.

    I'm already in debt from all her vet fees and while I can go so far as xrays and ultrasound for a definite diagnosis, I cannot afford the $2500 per joint it will cost to have surgery done if the vet is right. If the vet is WRONG, it's juvenile arthritis, and totally unfixable. So basically, ****ed if I do, ****ed if I don't.

    Nothing has been done re euthing her yet, because it's a logistical nightmare where I live to dispose of the body [local law states it is illegal to bury a carcass and this time of year it would be total idiocy to burn one; cremating at the special crematorium costs $1600] so I have to figure out how to do that before I can put her out of her pain. But I do still have Monty, so I won't be totally horseless. It just hurts. Magic's stolen my heart and in the past five months we've both grown and learned and healed each other more than I thought possible..
    I am so sorry! That's just so terrible! But you have to think about the positives: She taught you so many things that you will never forget, and she will always have a place in your heart throughout your entire horsey life/career. I'm sure she taught you as much as you taught her!!! And I'm sure all of the other young horses you will start throughout your years will appreciate her for that!
    Cinder likes this.
         
        01-11-2013, 03:50 PM
      #1097
    Yearling
    I am really really sorry Blue.
    Cinder likes this.
         
        01-12-2013, 12:41 AM
      #1098
    Trained
    Thanks everyone. I love you guys, you know that right?

    It's too soon and it's NOT fair but she's living in pain. She's been on daily bute for months and STILL has a lot of sore days. It's difficult on a weekend to organise it all but come Monday things will start moving along. I keep thinking I can't do this, but I have to.
    BarrelBunny likes this.
         
        01-12-2013, 12:47 AM
      #1099
    Yearling
    I'm so, so sorry, blue eyed.
         
        01-12-2013, 10:35 AM
      #1100
    Yearling
    That sounds really tough, blue eyed. I'm so sorry. Stay strong, you're doing your best to do right by her.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Teens Supporting your own horse. rodeogirl309 Horse Riding 54 04-05-2013 01:10 AM
    ideas for horse camps? young and older kids/teens dynamite. Horse Riding 4 08-12-2012 06:42 PM
    Any teens on here!?!?! HaflingerHorse General Off Topic Discussion 29 08-15-2009 03:54 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0