Horse Terminology/ Ask or add one - Page 17
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horse Terminology/ Ask or add one

This is a discussion on Horse Terminology/ Ask or add one within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree62Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-29-2014, 09:05 PM
      #161
    Foal
    "Red Bag" birth?

    A term that I've heard a few times with breeding and foaling season in full swing is a "red bag birth."
    Does anyone know what it means? I kind of got the impression that is was bad, like still born or a breach, but I never found a definition :)

    Just curious if anyone knew :) It's really hard to find a clear definition of a horse term through normal research, with so many different definitions and uses of the same word. This thread really helps :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-29-2014, 11:56 PM
      #162
    Weanling
    Subbing.

    I think a Red Bag birth is when the placenta does not separate from the uterus wall properly. This actually happened to me with my second baby. The Doctor manually palpated the placenta to get it to release, had that not worked there would have been big trouble.
         
        04-01-2014, 11:50 AM
      #163
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anndankev    
    Subbing.

    I think a Red Bag birth is when the placenta does not separate from the uterus wall properly. This actually happened to me with my second baby. The Doctor manually palpated the placenta to get it to release, had that not worked there would have been big trouble.
    That is a retained placenta which is very dangerous to the mare. Red bag delivery is when the placenta detaches from the uterine wall prematurely during delivery and is presented first before the foal. This is very dangerous for the foal since the placenta blocks the passageway and stops giving oxygen to the foal when it detached from the uterus. The term "Red Bag" directly refers to the red placenta being presented first during delivery, you only have minutes to get in and get the foal out to reduce the chances of a dead or dummy foal. Dummy foals are named that because they went too long without oxygen and their brain was damaged, causing all sorts of potential problems.
    anndankev likes this.
         
        04-01-2014, 01:30 PM
      #164
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SunnyDraco    
    That is a retained placenta which is very dangerous to the mare. Red bag delivery is when the placenta detaches from the uterine wall prematurely during delivery and is presented first before the foal. This is very dangerous for the foal since the placenta blocks the passageway and stops giving oxygen to the foal when it detached from the uterus. The term "Red Bag" directly refers to the red placenta being presented first during delivery, you only have minutes to get in and get the foal out to reduce the chances of a dead or dummy foal. Dummy foals are named that because they went too long without oxygen and their brain was damaged, causing all sorts of potential problems.
    Thanks :)
         
        04-01-2014, 01:42 PM
      #165
    Trained
    Over faced-
    When your horse is unable to perform bc he or she has not encountered or been trained to a skill.

    I have NEVER heard this word used in any other context than with horsemen.

    Btw, what is really interesting is the posters that are no longer active on our forum. =(
         
        07-25-2014, 11:37 AM
      #166
    Foal
    What does "days on" mean? Example.

    "has a solid 60 days on her. She has been used in the pastures for doctoring calves and doing pasture checks. She has also been ridden on the roads. She is a great mare that almost anyone can ride."
         
        07-25-2014, 11:45 AM
      #167
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jinxiia    
    What does "days on" mean? Example.

    "has a solid 60 days on her. She has been used in the pastures for doctoring calves and doing pasture checks. She has also been ridden on the roads. She is a great mare that almost anyone can ride."
    60 days (or about 2 months) of training. Or she has been ridden for 60 days.
    Jinxiia likes this.
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0