Horseback riding in Grand Turk? I'm on the fence.
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horseback riding in Grand Turk? I'm on the fence.

This is a discussion on Horseback riding in Grand Turk? I'm on the fence. within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-14-2013, 02:21 PM
      #1
    Green Broke
    Horseback riding in Grand Turk? I'm on the fence.

    I'm going on vacation for the first time in, oh, 10+ years. I really don't know how longs its been since I've been on a "vacation" that isn't a business trip. I'm going on the Carnival Splendor and were stopping at Grande Turk, Half moon Kay and Nassau, Bahamas. I'm more then grateful to just go and get away but I definitely want to snorkel, jet ski and maybe horseback ride.

    I'm on the fence about the horseback riding because it's $100 extra and I have horses I can trail ride all I want any time I want. I really want it to be worth the money, as I could put the money into doing something else I wouldn't have the chance to do. Also, being in nursing school I'm on a tight budget. The other half of me thinks "what better way to see a beautiful place then on the back of a horse!".

    What would you do if you were in my shoes?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
      #2
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    I'm going on vacation for the first time in, oh, 10+ years. I really don't know how longs its been since I've been on a "vacation" that isn't a business trip. I'm going on the Carnival Splendor and were stopping at Grande Turk, Half moon Kay and Nassau, Bahamas. I'm more then grateful to just go and get away but I definitely want to snorkel, jet ski and maybe horseback ride.

    I'm on the fence about the horseback riding because it's $100 extra and I have horses I can trail ride all I want any time I want. I really want it to be worth the money, as I could put the money into doing something else I wouldn't have the chance to do. Also, being in nursing school I'm on a tight budget. The other half of me thinks "what better way to see a beautiful place then on the back of a horse!".

    What would you do if you were in my shoes?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'll be honest with you. You know what a good horse can do. Tourist horses... you can ride facing the other way and the horses just play follow the leader. Most stop at the cheap gift store to buy stuff, perhaps lunch and want to teach you to dance. Most will have a 5 minute gallop on the beach and if you're not in the lead you eat sand from all in front of you. IT IS a nice way to see places and things that perhaps you have not seen before but IMO, I'd much rather be on my own good horse and go when and where I want to go.

    So .... Cancel your cruise, book a flight down to me, rent one of my apartments on the Ocean and .... see that guy Sereno on the upper left side? We can take him and our other two up into the hills for a real adventure one day then ride along the ocean and beaches another. Places' where tourist don't go and see the real caribbean life.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    I HOPE that you have lots of fun on your way overdue vacation.
         
        05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
      #3
    Green Broke
    boy I would love to!!! My gf would kill me though. I'm going on their family vacation so its not like we, much less I, got to pick . I would totally go there... one day. Where is it? I gradute in a year and a half and I've been looking for somewhere to go on a getaway. Somewhere that I can do nothing but relax. No cell phone, no email, no nothing!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sereno likes this.
         
        05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
      #4
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    boy I would love to!!! My gf would kill me though. I'm going on their family vacation so its not like we, much less I, got to pick . I would totally go there... one day. Where is it? I gradute in a year and a half and I've been looking for somewhere to go on a getaway. Somewhere that I can do nothing but relax. No cell phone, no email, no nothing!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sorry that this is "family" vacation.

    North Coast of the Dominican Republic. I'll PM you our link.

    Sorry to inform you, we have Cable TV, cell phone service and wi-fi. (but you don't have to turn it on or use it.)

    You can take much cheaper tours via bus/jeep/truck to see the flora and fawna and still hit the tourist gift shops.
         
        05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
      #5
    Foal
    *raises hand* Can I have the link too Sereno?

    I wouldn't pay $100 to go horseback riding on vacation, especially in the Caribbean, unless I knew the owners of the horses and I knew they weren't broken down little nags with no personality. (no offense intended to anyone) You will love the scenery but will be disappointed with your mount.
    Sereno likes this.
         
        05-14-2013, 03:22 PM
      #6
    Super Moderator
    I went to the Grand Turk I think but I can't remember what my excursion was. I do suggest you definitely do one wether it is the horses or something else.

    Personally I'd rather do the dolphins...
         
        05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
      #7
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fourteen    
    *raises hand* Can I have the link too Sereno?

    I wouldn't pay $100 to go horseback riding on vacation, especially in the Caribbean, unless I knew the owners of the horses and I knew they weren't broken down little nags with no personality. (no offense intended to anyone) You will love the scenery but will be disappointed with your mount.


    Most are in pretty bad shape BUT some are OK but they are trained for TOURIST and you do tourist rides and stuff. THEY CAN BE FUN but depends on your own definition of fun is and what you are use to.

    Sending you a PM.
         
        05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farmpony84    
    I went to the Grand Turk I think but I can't remember what my excursion was. I do suggest you definitely do one wether it is the horses or something else.

    Personally I'd rather do the dolphins...

    I didn't see anything about dolphins! But maybe I can do some research and find the place?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
      #9
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farmpony84    
    I went to the Grand Turk I think but I can't remember what my excursion was. I do suggest you definitely do one wether it is the horses or something else.

    Personally I'd rather do the dolphins...
    Our swim with the dolphins place is around $75.

    When we take friends for rides we sometimes go to Monkey Jungle with monkeys and great ZIP lines. Also around $75. They run a medical and dental clinic for the poor. Rainy and cloudy our last ride up so no the best photo. Ran into a group of tourist.



    We had just tied up and it started to pour.


    I'd rather spend money of a half day catamaran sail and snorkel. Some of the reefs are still alive and the fish are great. Hint: Take a banana, without the skin, break off small pieces and the fish will come right up to you.

    Some place will teach you to scuba... in one hour... in a pool. Then take you out for the real thing. Expensive but can be great fun.

    HINT #two: If in the water wear a T-SHIRT or you be cooked.

    Any other questions that I might help with?
         
        05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
      #10
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fourteen    
    *raises hand* Can I have the link too Sereno?

    I wouldn't pay $100 to go horseback riding on vacation, especially in the Caribbean, unless I knew the owners of the horses and I knew they weren't broken down little nags with no personality. (no offense intended to anyone) You will love the scenery but will be disappointed with your mount.
    I pulled up a few photos and the horses didn't look to be in bad shape. All had snaffles and looked in good condition. I definitely wouldn't be going for the horseback riding experience, I get plenty of that, I'd be going to check out the scenery. Also, the opportunity to "swim" with the horses.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sereno likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Horseback Riding Lessons! countrykatie Horse Riding 1 04-18-2013 07:05 PM
    Horseback riding games paigeyluvv Horse Talk 2 09-03-2011 10:55 PM
    PETA and horseback riding Puddintat Horse Talk 19 04-13-2011 08:10 PM
    Therapeutic Horseback Riding. riccil0ve Horse Riding 8 12-09-2009 02:34 PM
    Horseback Riding! free_sprtd Jokes and Funnies 2 01-27-2009 03:14 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0