Okay, so I'm working on writing a book about barn management and the issue of social networking and good/bad business has come up.
I'm trying to get some broad-scale opinions/experiences and am hoping you guys will help me out by answering (all or some) the following questions for me.
1) Do you interact online with your local horse community? In what ways?
2) Do you believe you have more privacy online or off?
3) Have you seen examples of horse/barn/rider bashing online?
4) Is it okay to address problems with other people/boarders online, either privately or in a public forum? For example, a wall-post from a boarder to another boarder telling them to please learn to clean up the tack room when they're done with it?
5) Do you think a good barn owner needs to keep tabs on what is being said about the facility online as well as off?
6) Have you ever read someone's anonymous posts and wondered if you knew them/recognized someone you knew from a story?
7) Would you want your irl horse friends/co-boarders/clients to read what you post online?
Feel free to discuss the topic at length. Around here we recently had a GIANT FB blow-up between two barn owners. It got nasty. Lots of other people got involved. I've also wondered, when reading vents and posts on forums, what the other party to the vent would say if they read exactly how their boarder/Barn owner/ instructor/student felt about them and their facility?
Please, the more input the better.