horsey bucket list :D - Page 6
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

horsey bucket list :D

This is a discussion on horsey bucket list :D within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree24Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
      #51
    Foal
    Question about the bareback goals...is it usually that hard to train a horse to do it? I barely knew my girl shortly after I got her and I had lots of previous experience bareback riding beforehand. So, silly me, I got right up on her butt and I got bucked off almost right away. A few days later, I did it again and she had absolutely no problem with me being up on her without a saddle. No quitter here. ;) My only problem with bareback riding is that my butt and thighs are killing me afterwards!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-23-2012, 11:48 PM
      #52
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowgirlupintexas    
    Question about the bareback goals...is it usually that hard to train a horse to do it? I barely knew my girl shortly after I got her and I had lots of previous experience bareback riding beforehand. So, silly me, I got right up on her butt and I got bucked off almost right away. A few days later, I did it again and she had absolutely no problem with me being up on her without a saddle. No quitter here. ;) My only problem with bareback riding is that my butt and thighs are killing me afterwards!
    I don't think so. The first horse I broke to ride, the first time I got on her I did so bareback. I am curious to those who want to ride bareback, even double, as to whats stopping you? Go for it! Just take your time with trotting and loping, take your time with that.

    Yes! To the being extremely sore afterwards though!!
         
        01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
      #53
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by draftgrl    
    I don't think so. The first horse I broke to ride, the first time I got on her I did so bareback. I am curious to those who want to ride bareback, even double, as to whats stopping you? Go for it! Just take your time with trotting and loping, take your time with that.
    Well my horse has never been ridden bareback except for the few times I've hopped on and walked him around. We tried trotting but he got very scared and spooked, my trainers tell me I shouldn't ride without stirrups yet because he does get nervous and whatnot. And it's not just me, it's people in general. He's starting to relax more now and feel safe, but it's been a struggle. I'm planning on riding him more bareback when I get back and go from there.
         
        01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
      #54
    Yearling
    The trick to riding double bareback is having the rider with better balance on back.
         
        01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
      #55
    Yearling
    I feel bad for all of you that haven't experienced riding double bareback, or jumping bareback.

    I've gone on multiple trail rides double bareback...and fell off 3 times ;) one time was when I went to jump back on and slid right over...bringing my friend with me :)

    Jumping bareback is a blast and is a good workout on your legs. Try riding around the the ring bareback in 2point...yikes, my legs were noodles by the time I got off!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
      #56
    Weanling
    Sky: If what I have remembered is correct, your horse has trust issues with people? That would make sense then.
         
        01-24-2012, 07:20 AM
      #57
    Weanling
    For me, I'm actually more nervous riding with a saddle than bareback - probably because Oakey can't stand the sight of the saddle, and always used to get antsy when it came out.

    Before I ever even thought about riding bareback, though, I used to hop on Oakey's back and just sit there while he grazed; because of that, I think he was comfortable with the idea when I started asking him to ride without a saddle.
         
        01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
      #58
    Trained
    I LOVE riding bareback ! I defiinitely prefer it on some horses. I've jumped over 5ft bareback =]

    I've also jumped double before which was pretty cool too
         
        01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
      #59
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by draftgrl    
    Sky: If what I have remembered is correct, your horse has trust issues with people? That would make sense then.
    Yes and he struggles with self confidence too. No one thought he'd feel secure enough to have someone on his back without any tack.. so I'm just taking it really slowly :)
         
        01-24-2012, 01:59 PM
      #60
    Foal
    Growing up in AK I rode bareback a lot in the winter. We did a lot of galloping through the woods. My horse was a gaming horse and could turn right out from under me. I got used to putting my weight in the outside stirrup on those turns. Doesn't work bareback with lots of winter clothes. But the snow was soft.
    cowgirlupintexas likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What's on your "horse bucket list"? brandilion Horse Talk 25 08-16-2011 08:21 AM
    A Rider's Bucket List wordstoasong General Off Topic Discussion 1 04-25-2010 12:16 AM
    Share your "Bucket List" - What would you like to do before you kick the bucket? SamboStar Horse Stories and Poems 41 01-17-2010 11:19 AM
    Horsey Christmas List Tennessee Horse Tack and Equipment 1 09-06-2009 09:49 PM
    Free Horsey To Do List EquineArtist Horse Talk 0 01-15-2009 08:53 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0