Horsey companion which animal?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Horsey companion which animal?

This is a discussion on Horsey companion which animal? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-26-2013, 06:13 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Horsey companion which animal?

    Hi all,
    I have a horse living alone and can't afford another horse I am thinking either getting two goats or one cow as an companion.
    Just wondering if anyone has either of these animals living together and your experiences.
    I have cows in the next paddock, which are not mine, do you think the cow would just want to get to them instead?
    Also I'm wondering about the goats weather or not they will accept my horse or just go out on their own.
    Any other animal friend suggestions?
    My husband is totally against a pony or mini because of the ongoing shoeing costs etc.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-26-2013, 06:46 AM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tombo8    
    Hi all,
    I have a horse living alone and can't afford another horse I am thinking either getting two goats or one cow as an companion.
    Just wondering if anyone has either of these animals living together and your experiences.
    I have cows in the next paddock, which are not mine, do you think the cow would just want to get to them instead?
    Also I'm wondering about the goats weather or not they will accept my horse or just go out on their own.
    Any other animal friend suggestions?
    My husband is totally against a pony or mini because of the ongoing shoeing costs etc.
    If you're looking for a non-equine, most folks I know use llamas or goats as companions. They'll coexist fine and provide company in a pasture, but don't expect them to mingle together.
    BTW, goats tend to be escape artists and can/will climb fences, so you need a good fence. Llamas are good protectors, so watch out...they can be a little mean to intruders.
         
        11-26-2013, 07:12 AM
      #3
    Yearling
    Cows, goats and llamas need their feet trimmed too.
    Palomine likes this.
         
        11-26-2013, 12:00 PM
      #4
    Started
    I use sheep as a paddock mate. Mine do mingle and the sheep will try and steal the hard feed the horse gets. He sorts that out. I have also used a calf but like the sheep they come and they go, if you get my drift, we call them freezer packs.

    If you use sheep get the kind that shed their wool saves shearing them
         
        11-26-2013, 12:08 PM
      #5
    Super Moderator
    It doesn't matter what you get it will still need feeding, caring for and vet attention and a small mini isn't going to be any more trouble than a cow, sheep or goats.
    Goats are probably need the least in terms of looking after but they are escape artists so you'd have to spend out on making your fence suitable
    Palomine likes this.
         
        11-26-2013, 04:28 PM
      #6
    Foal
    I am a total animal lover, so I do know about feeding, vet, worming, hooves etc etc although I have never heard of cows needing their hooves done??
    We have loads of pasture, so a little worried about a mini or pony over eating and making himself sick.
    So basically any other animal I should get would most likely keep to themselves, therefore does it do the horse any good anyway??
         
        11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
      #7
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tombo8    
    So basically any other animal I should get would most likely keep to themselves, therefore does it do the horse any good anyway??
    Yes, it still gives them some comfort to not be totally alone. On the other hand, some horses do fine by themselves.
         
        11-26-2013, 06:02 PM
      #8
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tombo8    
    I am a total animal lover, so I do know about feeding, vet, worming, hooves etc etc although I have never heard of cows needing their hooves done??
    We have loads of pasture, so a little worried about a mini or pony over eating and making himself sick.
    So basically any other animal I should get would most likely keep to themselves, therefore does it do the horse any good anyway??
    Yes cattle do need their feet trimming from time to time and its a whole more difficult job than trimming a pony
    Links have been playing up recently so not sure if this will work or not
    Palomine likes this.
         
        11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Herdsmen and foot trimming

    I have had a few goats and they need trimming. Little easier because they aren't as strong as a horse. I used to sit down and actually tie my doe to my leg so she wouldn't run away. Not something you would do with any horse.

    My one cow I trimmed twice before I sold him at about 6 months old.

    There are people that come around to dairys with a stanchion like rig that tips the cow onto it's side and they trim.
         
        11-26-2013, 06:08 PM
      #10
    Yearling
    Ah! There's the rig!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Other companion animal? CandyCanes Horse Talk 17 09-06-2013 02:35 AM
    Companion HollyLolly Horse Talk 19 02-21-2013 03:14 PM
    Need advice on companion animal!! kjfroe Horse Talk 6 10-12-2012 01:14 PM
    A sure Companion newdaydesignbylisa Other Pets 4 04-20-2012 11:18 AM
    Companion Animal Amanda H Horse Health 2 02-14-2012 12:05 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0