How long does it take to recognize us?? - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
How long does it take to recognize us??

Well, I know that horses learn to recognize their owners in quite a short space of time, but what about horses in my scenario?

I work at a riding stables/competition yard. We have 20 horses and there are 4 of us looking after them. I have been there since June. I would like to think that they do know who I am, (who we all are), but how much truth is in this? They see so many people every day, people coming for riding lessons and us.

We do see them all day every day, so, are we recognized?
Snizard93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Lis
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: I live in rainy England
Posts: 879
• Horses: 0
Depends on the horse really. I work in a similar situation except there's around 120 horses and about 18 or so of us and so many clients. I have 5 horses that I muck out every morning and they knew me because I was the one who brought hay for them but the ones opposite mine would keep looking past me because someone else looked after them. Now there is a little pony mare who definitely recognises me but I spent 3 months as the only person riding her and I rode her practically everyday so we would cuddle a lot. She's much more affectionate towards me than other people, I can do things with her that others can't so yeah I'd say they can recognise us. Each horse on the yard knows who looks after them and they start to call as soon as they see that person.

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Lis is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis View Post
Depends on the horse really. I work in a similar situation except there's around 120 horses and about 18 or so of us and so many clients. I have 5 horses that I muck out every morning and they knew me because I was the one who brought hay for them but the ones opposite mine would keep looking past me because someone else looked after them. Now there is a little pony mare who definitely recognises me but I spent 3 months as the only person riding her and I rode her practically everyday so we would cuddle a lot. She's much more affectionate towards me than other people, I can do things with her that others can't so yeah I'd say they can recognise us. Each horse on the yard knows who looks after them and they start to call as soon as they see that person.
Us 4 just look after all of them so we don't spend "more" time with a certain horse. Do you think they recognize us? Or do you think we are just another person? I hope not!
Snizard93 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Lis
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: I live in rainy England
Posts: 879
• Horses: 0
I think so because you're the ones who are always there. I rarely spend much time with some of the horses purely because there's so many of them on the yard that I simply never cross paths with them on a regular basis but they still recognise me to some extent because I'm around the yard so they still see me. Plus I think smell helps because we'll smell of the yard so even if they don't really recognise us they can still smell the familarity of the yard on us.

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Lis is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis View Post
I think so because you're the ones who are always there. I rarely spend much time with some of the horses purely because there's so many of them on the yard that I simply never cross paths with them on a regular basis but they still recognise me to some extent because I'm around the yard so they still see me. Plus I think smell helps because we'll smell of the yard so even if they don't really recognise us they can still smell the familarity of the yard on us.
That's true, I didn't think about smells
Snizard93 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Lis
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: I live in rainy England
Posts: 879
• Horses: 0
I only thought about it because I always get teased for stinking of horse when I visit my family but it makes sense when you consider how much they rely on smell.

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Lis is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 216
• Horses: 0
I think they do. My trainers horse (he doesnt like to work) is hard to catch, but only with her and her other student. Hes better for anyone else. Same for my friends horse, her mare runs when she tries to catch her. My boy will usually come to me in the pasture, for others he could careless. My old horse would run along the fence line until I got to the gate to get her, I guess it depends on the horse.
Ponies is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,321
• Horses: 1
Depends on the horse and your relationship with that horse. When I worked in a barn many of the horses recognized me as the food lady. They got very confused when I actually handled them at times! They had stalls that opened to their paddocks so their turnout was just opening a door.

The hard to catch ones were easy for me to catch because they associated me with food and not work.
Posted via Mobile Device
flytobecat likes this.
DancingArabian is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,303
• Horses: 1
My mare is turned out with 11 other mares. They know me and they know what I expect out of them. I work with 2 of the mares but the others only know me from the time I spend in the pasture. Some want attention and others don't care. But they all recognize me. And they know my routine too.
Posted via Mobile Device
countrylove is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 6,580
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizard93 View Post
Well, I know that horses learn to recognize their owners in quite a short space of time, but what about horses in my scenario?

I work at a riding stables/competition yard. We have 20 horses and there are 4 of us looking after them. I have been there since June. I would like to think that they do know who I am, (who we all are), but how much truth is in this? They see so many people every day, people coming for riding lessons and us.

We do see them all day every day, so, are we recognized?
They know who you are. They may not choose to respond to you, but they know who you are. They have great memories and they are very observant.

Celeste
Celeste is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recognize the lameness? DriftingShadow Horse Health 3 09-13-2012 04:18 AM
Does anyone recognize this QH name? kartmom67 Horse Breeding 22 05-06-2012 05:06 PM
Does anyone recognize this saddle? randomrider92 Horse Tack and Equipment 5 03-27-2012 08:00 PM
Anyone Recognize him? HAL Tack and Equipment Classifieds 8 01-16-2008 08:27 PM
Recognize this brand? HAL Horse Breeds 5 09-01-2007 10:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome