1. How much would YOU pay for a decently trained (pretty much anything green broke (or better) with decent ground manners) young horse, age 3-7?
2. How much does a horse generally cost on a monthly basis (not yearly, monthly)?
3. How much are vet bills? And how many times does the vet have to come out the check your horse?
4. What kind/quality of horse would you suggest for someone who mainly wants a horse that she can go out to, ride for a while, become good friends with, and occasionally trail ride? Not really a show horse, but a "pet"/"friend" horse?
5. How much does it cost to feed a horse who isn't being worked like nuts? But lightly?
6. How much tack would I most likely need?
Here's my situation:
I'm going back to the States in one year, and while I'm there (I'm probably going to be there for good) I want to either lease, or buy myself a horse. I'm an intermediate rider, I can ride almost any horse put in front of me. But just riding. I want to do trails, and just riding around the field for pleasure. Occasionally a show every now and then... maybe. The horse will be kept at my grandparent's farm in Katy, TX. It's one of only a few farms in the middle of suburbia. So I won't have to pay for boarding. I will have to pay for feed (though I'll probably pay my Granddaddy for the use of his hay that he uses for his cattle), and for tack and stuff. My uncle is a farrier... so I might be able to get a bit off of the price for being family *is dreaming*. I'm also going to be working at a Vet's office (he's a good friend of my granddaddy... :P... we know EVERYBODY), so I might be able to get a "discount" on Vet bills. I get 40 dollars a month for allowance, plus whatever I might make baby/pet-sitting or at the Vet's. Is this enough to pay for everything I might need? I'll most likely be keeping the horse all through college (Vet Bills will go down as I get into my vet med program at college). I might even by a younger foal during college. But for now... just one horse. Any breed.
OK... so... now that you've read all of that... what are your suggestions?