How to transport horses in trailers??? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

How to transport horses in trailers???

This is a discussion on How to transport horses in trailers??? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
      #21
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaggy    
    yeah I know it will but its something we've been talking about doing anyway since as of right there is no way to get the horses off the property if we needed to take them to vet or something and don't know yell at me for this. The trailer that was there was owned by the really nice in laws of my ex trainers and the ex trainer sold the trailer without telling them. But to be honest I don't think I would have wanted my horse in that old thing anyway lol
    Ok, I am going assume your Dad knows about towing vehicles & trailers. Yes, it's might handy having a trailer at your disposal and you can take your horse to places, lessons, vet, shows, etc. For a long trip, like 10 hours or more, I personally don't like to put in hay bags for various reasons. I do tie horses with a quick release trailer tie. I never usually haul longer than 5 hours without stopping and offering food & water, I don't unload, I feed while they are still in the trailer. They don't need a big meal, just a snack & drink & back on the road.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
      #22
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waresbear    
    Ok, I am going assume your Dad knows about towing vehicles & trailers. Yes, it's might handy having a trailer at your disposal and you can take your horse to places, lessons, vet, shows, etc. For a long trip, like 10 hours or more, I personally don't like to put in hay bags for various reasons. I do tie horses with a quick release trailer tie. I never usually haul longer than 5 hours without stopping and offering food & water, I don't unload, I feed while they are still in the trailer. They don't need a big meal, just a snack & drink & back on the road.
    thanks for the info! Yeah I was thinking the same thing about lessons and stuff lol yeah my dads knows about towing and I'm thinking were not going to go the whole way if take shaggy we'll only going half way so it won't be a whole 10 hours or more in one day ya know.
         
        01-30-2012, 10:18 PM
      #23
    Green Broke
    It's good to plan ahead. Plan where you will take lunch breaks, potty breaks, get fuel and such. Your dad probably knows what fuel mileage he normally gets and should plan on getting much worse hauling a horse, so he'll need to make more stops.

    I agree that a normal trip of 10 hours will take closer to 15. We went across the state of ND which should have taken about 6 hours. It took us at least 9.

    A simple bumper pull trailer will do you fine even with tack if there is storage in the trailer or you can just haul it in the truck bed. No matter what type of trailer you get or even rent (not recommending that), you HAVE to install a brake controller for the brakes on the trailer, unless he already has one installed.

    As for the trip, take extra water, hay, and feed. I always tie the horse with a quick release tie down, unless it is a foal. For a long trip, we give the horses hay in hay bags to munch along the way. Most of our trips we stop every two (maybe three) hours for potty breaks. We see if the horse wants water or not. It also gives their legs a break from trying to balance while moving. I know that our horses are fine with loading in strange places, because we take them different places and the will reload fine. Unless you are absolutely positively sure that he will load fine anywhere, do not unload him untill you get there, except if you stop for the night. Then you'll have to make sure you have a place to keep him safe over night while you sleep.

    If you use an open type trailer, like a stock one, do not use bedding! The bedding will circulate around the horse and the horse will breathe it in. Also, in that type of trailer, use a flymask so foreign objects don't hit them in the face or eye. If you use an enclosed trailer, bedding can be used and you don't need the flymask. Just don't use an excessive amount of bedding so the horse slips on it.

    Any other questions? I'll be happy to try and answer.
         
        01-31-2012, 12:07 AM
      #24
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    It's good to plan ahead. Plan where you will take lunch breaks, potty breaks, get fuel and such. Your dad probably knows what fuel mileage he normally gets and should plan on getting much worse hauling a horse, so he'll need to make more stops.

    I agree that a normal trip of 10 hours will take closer to 15. We went across the state of ND which should have taken about 6 hours. It took us at least 9.

    A simple bumper pull trailer will do you fine even with tack if there is storage in the trailer or you can just haul it in the truck bed. No matter what type of trailer you get or even rent (not recommending that), you HAVE to install a brake controller for the brakes on the trailer, unless he already has one installed.

    As for the trip, take extra water, hay, and feed. I always tie the horse with a quick release tie down, unless it is a foal. For a long trip, we give the horses hay in hay bags to munch along the way. Most of our trips we stop every two (maybe three) hours for potty breaks. We see if the horse wants water or not. It also gives their legs a break from trying to balance while moving. I know that our horses are fine with loading in strange places, because we take them different places and the will reload fine. Unless you are absolutely positively sure that he will load fine anywhere, do not unload him untill you get there, except if you stop for the night. Then you'll have to make sure you have a place to keep him safe over night while you sleep.

    If you use an open type trailer, like a stock one, do not use bedding! The bedding will circulate around the horse and the horse will breathe it in. Also, in that type of trailer, use a flymask so foreign objects don't hit them in the face or eye. If you use an enclosed trailer, bedding can be used and you don't need the flymask. Just don't use an excessive amount of bedding so the horse slips on it.

    Any other questions? I'll be happy to try and answer.
    thanks for all info! I do have one question if we end up only going half way stay the night at a hotel will shaggy be ok in the trailer over night?
         
        01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
      #25
    Trained
    No, he needs to be unloaded, that's too long in a trailer, just standing.
         
        01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
      #26
    Green Broke
    I would hire a trucking company to bring him down for you
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-31-2012, 04:07 AM
      #27
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waresbear    
    No, he needs to be unloaded, that's too long in a trailer, just standing.
    ok but where would I put him for the night? Like a boarding barn or something?
         
        01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
      #28
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaggy    
    ok but where would I put him for the night? Like a boarding barn or something?
    You'll have to around to different barns to find a place to board him for the night. For me, I would head out early in the morning and make the trip in one day.

    When you get there, give him a while to settle in before asking anything of him, such as riding.

    I don't know how cold it is there when you are going but an idea you could do is go camping for the night at a state park that allows horses. Would be cheaper than renting a room and boarding him. Just a thought.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
      #29
    Trained
    Pulling a trailer is NOT like launching a spaceshuttle. There is very little rocket science involved. You have to go somewhat slower but if you have a good vehicle and your trailer is in good shape you can go pretty close to the speed limit. A ten hour trip may take eleven or twelve but not fifteen. A bumper pull trailer will pretty much track right behind the towing vehicle. You need to give a little extra distance to stop and slow down around sharp turns for your horses sake. Most decent drivers can haul a trailer without killing anyone.

    Get a good trailer and an appropriate tow vehicle properly equiped. I don't feed in the trailer. It makes a mess and most horses won't eat much anyway. They also don't drink much with puts them at risk for colic if they get nervous and eat. I would offer water when I stopped for fuel and I wouldn't unload until I got where I was going. Your horse is somewhat stressed the entire time your hauling it so the faster you get there and get it over with the better.
         
        01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
      #30
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    You'll have to around to different barns to find a place to board him for the night. For me, I would head out early in the morning and make the trip in one day.

    When you get there, give him a while to settle in before asking anything of him, such as riding.

    I don't know how cold it is there when you are going but an idea you could do is go camping for the night at a state park that allows horses. Would be cheaper than renting a room and boarding him. Just a thought.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    hum camping I didn't think of that lol
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Are Straight Load Trailers Bad On Horses Legs? caseymyhorserocks Horse Trailers 3 04-21-2010 10:54 AM
    Draft Horses and Trailers. Can anyone help? BackInTheSaddleAgain Draft Horses 11 06-01-2009 11:19 PM
    PETITION to stop transport of horses for slaughter in Europe MichaelaWSPA Horse Protection 3 10-02-2008 11:12 AM
    transport... help! Magic Horses for Sale 0 06-09-2008 07:37 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0