Hurricane preparations? *Also need name for foal. - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 50
• Horses: 2
Question Hurricane preparations? *Also need name for foal.

Hurricane Irene is supposed to be making her way to NC soon. Oh joy.

I'm wondering how I'm supposed to prepare for this...Horse-wise. My mare is on 24/7 turnout, because we are in the process of building a barn now. She has a run-in shed, but that's it. What should I worry about? I can't go home this week because it's my first week back at school, and I really need to get papers and schedules settled, so I'm not there to blanket her or anything. Not that she even has a blanket..Lol. If you think it's nessesary I order a super cheapblanket or sheet (Which one?) and have it sent to the house, and hopfully someone there will have time to get it on her. What do you do in this case? Stalling her is not an option. At all.


Also, this is way less important, but I need a name for a future foal that's coming our way. He or she will most likely be a solid bay, around 15hh. I know it'll be the Grandson of Miracle Chip, but I have yet to figure out the rest of the bloodlines. (The foal is not my mares.)

I'm thinking:

Keebler (Chocolate cookie comp. Name)
Endigo (Just because...)
Paisley (Brad Paisley!)

I always name something then never like the name later, so I'm going to pick carefully this time. Unisex names.


Help on storm prep. And names would be great! Esp. The first part..

Poco Grande
Rip, Smokey love. <3
Hooves is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 161
• Horses: 2
Hopefully by the time it hits us (I'm also in NC) it will have weakened enough to not be too bad. My worry is if there are any trees that are not strong enough to withstand the saturation or high winds. Mine are also out 24/7 but I can stall 4 of them in a pinch... there are 7 horses on the property so the remaining 3 will stay under the the shelter next to the head of the herd's stall. I'm not too worried about blanket or sheet as it's not cold enough and the rain isn't going to do anything except give 'em a much needed rinse off!
Miloismyboy is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 50
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloismyboy View Post
Hopefully by the time it hits us (I'm also in NC) it will have weakened enough to not be too bad. My worry is if there are any trees that are not strong enough to withstand the saturation or high winds. Mine are also out 24/7 but I can stall 4 of them in a pinch... there are 7 horses on the property so the remaining 3 will stay under the the shelter next to the head of the herd's stall. I'm not too worried about blanket or sheet as it's not cold enough and the rain isn't going to do anything except give 'em a much needed rinse off!
Oh okay. I guess I should have read into more lol. I'm also worried about trees, depending how strong the storm might be if it does come thisaway. There are trees everywhere in every pasture. I guess I can't really do much about it.

Poco Grande
Rip, Smokey love. <3
Hooves is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 PM
QOS
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 3,389
• Horses: 2
I have had to give Hurricane prep a thought or two myself. I live where Hurricane Rita and Ike roared though but that was before I owned the horses.

Our barn will haul them 35 miles inland from here but that won't work for me. If we have to evac like three times before (Hurricane Gustov went around us thank God) I will be hauling my boys with me. Both of my horses were here for the hurricanes and survived just fine but I would be a nervous wreck if I didn't have them with me. I have already checked out places in all directions that I can haul my horses to and stay there with them.

If we have level 1 or 2 hurricanes we will not be leaving and the boys will weather it out in their pasture. Anything higher than that - it will be load up in the Brenderup and go. They don't have trees in their pasture so I don't have to worry about that but I am a little leary of Hurricanes since the last 2 were really bad...glass was EVERYWHERE, a brand new mechanical barn was ripped up out of the ground that had huge pilings to hold it down. The roof was ripped off two of the barns, fences down...gaaaaa......and if we hadn't been behind the leevy, the facility would have been several feet under water.

Watch the forecasts and make arrangements to haul out if necessary.
gigem88 likes this.

Enjoying my Garmin and mapping trails
Visit my trail riding blog at
dashingbigred.blogspot.com
QOS is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 50
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOS View Post
I have had to give Hurricane prep a thought or two myself. I live where Hurricane Rita and Ike roared though but that was before I owned the horses.

Our barn will haul them 35 miles inland from here but that won't work for me. If we have to evac like three times before (Hurricane Gustov went around us thank God) I will be hauling my boys with me. Both of my horses were here for the hurricanes and survived just fine but I would be a nervous wreck if I didn't have them with me. I have already checked out places in all directions that I can haul my horses to and stay there with them.

If we have level 1 or 2 hurricanes we will not be leaving and the boys will weather it out in their pasture. Anything higher than that - it will be load up in the Brenderup and go. They don't have trees in their pasture so I don't have to worry about that but I am a little leary of Hurricanes since the last 2 were really bad...glass was EVERYWHERE, a brand new mechanical barn was ripped up out of the ground that had huge pilings to hold it down. The roof was ripped off two of the barns, fences down...gaaaaa......and if we hadn't been behind the leevy, the facility would have been several feet under water.

Watch the forecasts and make arrangements to haul out if necessary.

I don't have a trailer...I would certainly move her to a barn down the road, if need be, or atleast get someone else to. I would hate that though.. (She is kept at my home, but I am unable to be home this week.)

Poco Grande
Rip, Smokey love. <3
Hooves is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazoria County, TX
Posts: 2,978
• Horses: 2
When we evacuated for previous hurricanes we did not bring the horses with us. Evactuations suck. We didn't evacuate for Hurricane Ike when he came through (he made landfall about 20 miles north of us) due to the hell we went through evacuating for Rita.

For the horses what we do is just let them go, they're much better being loose than being penned in a stall where they cannot escape. If something falls on the stall they have no chance of getting out of the way. If it floods they cannot get out of the water. Letting them loose in the pasture has allways worked for us. They find the high ground and let their instinct take over.

I would buy a name plate for your horses halter with his name and your contact information incase they get out of the pasture. And put together a first aid kit. As far as anything else goes, if it's possible check on them every few hours. If your land is large like ours is and you cannot see them, then just wait till everything is clear.

They should be fine, after Ike on the news I saw a report about some horses that had escaped their pastures and were swimming around in an area that was flooded, apparently the couldnt get out. Rescue teams found them and lead them out and to safety. They were reunited with their owner shortly after because they had the information on their halters.

When In Doubt Let Your Horse Do The Thinkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookychick13
What Lone said.
Lonestar22 is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dixie Land
Posts: 247
• Horses: 1
I'm also in the path of this hurricane. Unfortunatly we have lots of horses. They all have run in sheds, barn can only stall 5, and lots of trees. I think were going to just leave them out. Hopefully we are far enough inland to not be hit bad.

It will be safer to leave them out right? That way they can run from falling trees etc, where as if they were in the barn and a tree falls or roof collapses they are trapped.

Haha, that was a repeat of lonestars, I guess we were typing at the same time.

Some say I don't have a life.
I smile. I have a heartbeat and hoofbeats.
So therefore I have a great life. -me

Last edited by BlondieHorseChic; 08-22-2011 at 11:37 PM.
BlondieHorseChic is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 50
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieHorseChic View Post
I'm also in the path of this hurricane. Unfortunatly we have lots of horses. They all have run in sheds, barn can only stall 5, and lots of trees. I think were going to just leave them out. Hopefully we are far enough inland to not be hit bad.

It will be safer to leave them out right? That way they can run from falling trees etc, where as if they were in the barn and a tree falls or roof collapses they are trapped.
Ah, never thought of it that way. I'm not sure, but I think that theres actually a decent sixed tree smack in front of the shed. I should have thought of this! Ugh!


If I had her hauled out it would be lasssst resort. As in, when the people on the news are saying nobody should go outside, that is the only reason I would haul her out. I don't have a trailer, so I'd have to borrow one for the way there, the way back, and there again. And, I'm sure everyone will have their horses in, so I'd be lucky to find a barn with room, honestly. I know my trainers barn is 10 minutes away, but he doesn't even have enough stalls for his 16 horses..

Poco Grande
Rip, Smokey love. <3
Hooves is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 50
• Horses: 2
I'm not home to put a name plate on anything.

If she got out, it would probably be a disaster. Tooo many horses in the area. I live on a cattle farm, but technically, the cows belong to my father, so I'm just taking care of Poco, as bad as that sounds.

Obviously he can't haul 40 something cows out.

Poco Grande
Rip, Smokey love. <3
Hooves is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazoria County, TX
Posts: 2,978
• Horses: 2
I would not put her in a barn. Get a nameplate for her halter with contact information, let her out in her pasture and have a first aid kit just in case. I've gone through at least 5 hurricanes and tropical storms with horses, even when we evacuated we just let them loose. They are safer that way because they are not trapped and can get away from danger.

When In Doubt Let Your Horse Do The Thinkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookychick13
What Lone said.
Lonestar22 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cyclone/Hurricane Yasi - I'm worried about my family Pizmo General Off Topic Discussion 8 02-02-2011 08:51 AM
Kinda worried. (Possible hurricane) Lonestar22 Horse Health 6 07-22-2010 02:14 PM
Happy Birthday Marissa892 and Hurricane Katrina TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 0 05-29-2010 06:23 AM
Molly and the hurricane iridehorses Horse Talk 4 09-28-2008 10:06 PM
Hurricane megalsbegals General Off Topic Discussion 3 09-16-2008 09:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome