Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
• Horses: 0
I'm not allergic to horses, but I am allergic to dust, mold, pollen (I'm mildly allergic to it though), misquito bites, spider bites,....basically anything that comes along with riding/barn work. And to make it worse, my instructor keeps his horses in a converted grain barn that is over 100 years old. So his barn doesn't have the greatest ventilation. To make things worse, he doesn't have enough time to clean his barn as thouroghly as he needs to; so dust, cobwebs, and stray clumps of molding hay are everywhere. After a while, I took it upon myself to clean the barn.
After the first day cleaning the barn (I was in there for 2 hours), I got sick. I was so sick I was bedridden for 4 days. I had an asthma attack and my asthma/allergy symptoms didn't clear up for almost 2 weeks. (It ended up I had a bacterial infection from the old stray hay pieces, on top of my allergic reaction).
Sorry, a little bit of a rant, but I have a point to it.
Last week, I cleaned the barn for six hours straight without any ill side effects. How did I do it?
You can buy the house grade at Wal-mart for about 2 dollars for a pack of fifteen. They work wonders because it blocks out the most of the dust particles and mold spores. You might have to get a higher grade, but they are worth a shot. It might not block out all of the dander, but it would reduce the amount you inhale. (which even if you took in 1/2 of what you normally do, that could do wonders)
As for your rash, I would wear long sleeve shirts along with your jeans/breeches. It will help minimize your skin exposure to the horse dander (is that what they call it?).
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Last edited by A knack for horses; 09-03-2010 at 11:58 PM.