i gave my horse a shock
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

i gave my horse a shock

This is a discussion on i gave my horse a shock within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Could my horse be getting shocked
  • Horse in shock

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-19-2011, 09:33 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question i gave my horse a shock

So the other day I was untacking my horse. After I took off the sadde pad..i walked around my horse to the front and went to pat him on the nose...but then I ended up giving him a shock.

I felt so bad... He must of jumped 5 feet in in the air after I touched him.

Then he snorted a bit. It was funny and sad at the same time.

Has anybody here ever give there horse a shock in the winter time? If so , what happened? Did your horse get over it?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-19-2011, 09:37 PM
  #2
Started
Thats a crazy story, not given a horse a shock but my friend took a spark plug tester and put in in a small engine pulled the cord and got a good shock and MAN it was hilarious and he was laughing .
     
    11-19-2011, 09:49 PM
  #3
Weanling
Happened to my horse and I! He jumped, backed away from me and was leery of me for 3 days!!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-19-2011, 09:51 PM
  #4
Weanling
3 days?? Wow... must of been some shock..
     
    11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
  #5
Weanling
He had some brain damage, so he thought differently. He was a very odd animal, but probably the most amazing horse I will ever own.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
  #6
Banned
I have actually shocked a few of mine when we got our new polywire tape fencing. We'd only used wood before, so I wasn't used to it and kept forgetting to unplug it before I went out to bring the horses in. The first time was with my Percheron, but she happened to be trying to push me around (testing her limits as a 2 year old) and she just barely pushed me into the fence, I put my elbow into her just as I touched the fence and wow! It went right through me and got her on her neck! She hasn't tried pushing me since! She knows I have the power to shock...

I also got my stallion in the chin when I was trying to put on his halter and I leaned into the fence. My fault. I felt bad. He took off running faster then I have ever seen him go! He got over it in a couple days tho.

Similar story with my gelding. He got over it too. Although every now and then he tries to use it as an excuse to not come to the gate when its time to come in. I say "ok, fine. Everyone will eat without you." Oh boy, then he comes running!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-20-2011, 12:44 AM
  #7
Green Broke
Psh, Sunny gets shocked about 500 times a day! We have super dry winters, so there is always lots of static.

Poor Sun is used to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-20-2011, 04:00 PM
  #8
Yearling
About a month ago, this was a huge problem for me. First off, we acquired a third horse this summer and my Arab gelding is quite jealous. Next, through bad luck and sheer clumsiness, I shocked him and myself on the electric fence on about three different occasions. I backed my elbow just close enough to the fence to close the circuit, shocking him while brushing, giving a treat and haltering. After that, the weather got quite cool and very dry and every time I would touch him, I'd shock him with static buildup. I never shocked the other two horses, so I think it had to do with him dragging his feet a bit, building up static. By this time, he wouldn't even come near me :(

I tried everything from putting lotion on my hands or spitting on them to wet them before touching him, to touching metal before touching him, to carrying a bounce sheet in my pocket, to spraying him with coat conditioner every day, and adding flax to his feed. I walked like a chicken when I went down to see him to be sure I don't drag my boots on the ground and build up static. Now that it has snowed and there is some moisture in the air, the problem has stopped. I've been hand feeding him treats for a month to get him more comfortable with me touching him again. He's finally getting better, but what a horrible feeling!
Hidalgo13 likes this.
     
    11-20-2011, 07:39 PM
  #9
Green Broke
^ Wear gloves! That's all I know that works.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
  #10
Weanling
In SC we have very bipolar weather. It's November & I'm going to be wearing shorts to the barn today. Last week, however, I couldn't go out there without layers!

When it's been cold and dry, I can feel the static when I'm petting Shamrock. It doesn't seem to bother him, because he hasn't gotten shocked badly. I'm not going to enjoy the day when I do shock him. He tends to be a baby about everything. :P
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gave up on camping without a pack horse SailorGriz Trail Riding 84 09-12-2011 11:18 AM
We gave a horse to friends, do we have rights to get her back Jenn73 Horse Law 12 07-24-2011 02:14 PM
Rant: BO gave my horse grass cuttings?! wth?! JamieLeighx Horse Talk 27 06-08-2011 02:46 PM
Need your help! My horse gave me a good concussion and almost broke my jaw today! Klassic Superstar Horse Training 9 12-22-2010 03:13 PM
we will we will SHOCK YOU! D-izzle Horse Tack and Equipment 4 07-29-2007 05:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0