I need a rant!! Am I wrong here? - The Horse Forum

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
I need a rant!! Am I wrong here?

I went out to the stables today to clean the stalls and ride after such a horrible work week. Groomed Flash, saddled him up and *it was like hell trying to get him to take the bit when he usually opens right up.* I took him to the round pen to work him out before I mounted and noticed nothing unusual, but I just thought he was being stubborn and trying to push me around so I wasn't really looking for anything. After I worked him out I tried to mount and he keep going in circles and wouldn't let me mount him, so when he did this I backed him then tried again. Same thing, so I backed him further each time. At about 10 times in I was getting kind of frustrated and concerned so I went over his whole body, checked his hooves etc and nothing was out of the norm. The lady I lease from ended up coming out as well and she said he was just pushing me around (which I NEVER let him do). She held him while I mounted and he started walking so I put more tension on the reins and she told me to please give him slacked reins.....my thoughts were um I will when he listens to my commands, if I slacked the reins he would have took off while I was trying to mount. I told her I have to keep tension on the reins because he always wants to go go go and when I totally slack them he takes off in a canter and basically does whatever HE wants. When he listens I give him slack and when he doesn't I back him and start over (which is all the time). This horse has no real cues I'm starting to find out as her daughter just get on him and runs. Also, when I ride him from one arena to the other we pass the row his stall is in and he bolts right to his stall. I of course don't let this happen and I have to one rein him into small circles until he calms down. We did this for 10 minutes tonight with some rearing. He also tripped 5 or 6 times while riding and then I knew something was not right so I round penned him again to look for lameness and he was ever so slightly favoring his left front. You could barely tell and wouldn't be able to unless you knew what you were looking for. Needless to say I wont be riding for a while until we figure this out, but ugh I just needed to rant

Last edited by PurpleMonkeyWrench; 07-11-2012 at 01:00 AM.
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Blowy Hills of the Pacific NW
Posts: 1,318
• Horses: 1
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but there are a million great lease horses out there. This one doesn't sound like he's the perfect match for you, perhaps it might be time to look for one that works well for you?
pepperduck likes this.

My journal of my re-entry back to the horse world http://shelooksgoodonahorse.blogspot.com/
With Grace is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by With Grace View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but there are a million great lease horses out there. This one doesn't sound like he's the perfect match for you, perhaps it might be time to look for one that works well for you?
I know that lol, but does it sound like me here or the horse?
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,687
• Horses: 1
I'm going to be bold. I believe that it's both. The horse is being taught ten different ways how to do something. One rider takes off on him. Another wants him to wait, and then you're left working with him just trying to push you around.

I agree that he isn't the best lease for you..

Then your technique is interesting.. taught reins and slack when he's good. Well what about starting with slack and then relaxing until he tries something.. then correcting him and going back to slack.

Because constant pressure = horse will try to get away from it. That may be why he was rearing, in accordance to something else physically related.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
It's both. The horse is being taught ten different ways how to do something. One rider takes off on him. Another wants him to wait, and then you're left working with him just trying to push you around.

I agree that he isn't the best lease for you..

Then your technique is interesting.. taught reins and slack when he's good. Well what about starting with slack and then relaxing until he tries something.. then correcting him and going back to slack.

Because constant pressure = horse will try to get away from it. That may be why he was rearing, in accordance to something else physically related.
NO, I slack his reins when he listens lol
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,687
• Horses: 1
Yes I understand that but

Quote:
She held him while I mounted and he started walking so I put more tension on the reins and she told me to please give him slacked reins.....my thoughts were um I will when he listens to my commands, if I slacked the reins he would have took off while I was trying to mount. I told her I have to keep tension on the reins because he always wants to go go go and when I totally slack them he takes off in a canter and basically does whatever HE wants.
Which is what I was referring to as your unusual method.. you say he needs taught reins or he'll take off on you while mounting. Okay well you need to give him a chance first. Every correction you revert to a new clean slate instead of keeping them under tension during the entire process of mounting.. that doesn't teach him anything and causes him to brace and to look for ways away from that pressure.

The way I do it, and what works best for my horse is to always have them loose unless he does something. So if your horse tries walking away while mounting, you correct.. and then you give them slack to see if they'll stand. If they don't, correct again, then slack to see if they stand. If they stand, you keep them slack.

Am I understanding you correctly?

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
Yes I understand that but



Which is what I was referring to as your unusual method.. you say he needs taught reins or he'll take off on you while mounting. Okay well you need to give him a chance first. Every correction you revert to a new clean slate.

The way I do it, and what works best for my horse is to always have them loose unless he does something. So if your horse tries walking away while mounting, you correct.. and then you give them slack to see if they'll stand. If they don't, correct again, then slack to see if they stand. If they stand, you keep them slack.

Am I understanding you correctly?
I think there is a misunderstanding. He doesn't need taught reins to mount and this is the first time I have had to because he would not stay put and I could tell he was about to bolt off. I had slacked the reins and he kept going forward so I pulled them back again
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
I'm going to be bold. I believe that it's both. The horse is being taught ten different ways how to do something. One rider takes off on him. Another wants him to wait, and then you're left working with him just trying to push you around.

I agree that he isn't the best lease for you..

Then your technique is interesting.. taught reins and slack when he's good. Well what about starting with slack and then relaxing until he tries something.. then correcting him and going back to slack.

Because constant pressure = horse will try to get away from it. That may be why he was rearing, in accordance to something else physically related.
Totally agree the horse is confused. I just don't want to get on and run I want to work on the little things and work on bettering myself.
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,687
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkeyWrench View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding. He doesn't need taught reins to mount and this is the first time I have had to because he would not stay put and I could tell he was about to bolt off. I had slacked the reins and he kept going forward so I pulled them back again
Lol okay, yeah it seems there was

Glad we cleared it up though!

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
Lol okay, yeah it seems there was

Glad we cleared it up though!
I'm just all scatter brained at the moment lol thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a new lease =)
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with my people? :( [ rant, long] inaclick Horse Talk 3 07-16-2010 03:44 AM
Barn Drama.....rant rant rant Cinnys Whinny Horse Talk 11 06-04-2010 02:57 AM
Correct me if im wrong... RANT Cowgirl140ty Horses for Sale 26 06-03-2010 11:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome