I need some advice. Very hard decision. - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 656
• Horses: 1
I need some advice. Very hard decision.

My heart is breaking right now and no matter what I choose to do, it is going to hurt.
I had a horse a while ago, who I raised from a newborn, right up until he was 8 yrs old. My family had to move away, so he was given to a friend with the understanding that i would come back to get him in a few years when I got out of school. My friend ended up selling him a year later, and I have been trying to find my baby for 6 years. I finally gave up ever seeing him again this spring after not having any leads for 2 years.
I bought Flash a few months ago and I love him to death. He was in need of a good home, and still needs some more TLC before he's back up to par.
The problem is that I just found my long lost boy advertised for sale in another province. I started crying when I saw the add. I miss him so much.
I really don't know what to do though. I love Flash, but I know I will never forgive myself if I let my Kid get away from me again. But then if I sell Flash, I will always be wondering if he's ok.
Can anyone give me any advice? I really don't know what to do...
gothicangel69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,289
• Horses: 0
So keeping two horses is completely out of the question?

If you bought your old horse back, could you then lease one of them out and get their boarding expenses taken of?

I would not sell the horse you have know until you've had a chance to see and ride your old guy. He may no longer be the horse you remember. Your commendable attachment to him aside, he may no longer be the horse you need and want.
maura is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 656
• Horses: 1
Owning two horses is not an option right now. To be honest, it doesn't really matter if he has changed. I don't even have to be able to ride him (although that would be a bonus). I just want to be able to touch him again and to know that he is ok.
I remember making a promise when I left him years ago. I told him that no matter what happened, I would always find him and bring him home. That promise has run through my mind constantly for the past 6 years.
My friend said that my bo is looking for horses for her training program and that she really likes Flash. I plan to speak with her tomorrow just to see what she says. Maybe I can give him to her on a free lease or something. I really don't want to have to sell him as I hope to be buying a house in the next few years where I will be able to have two horses. My bo is amazing and I would know that he was properly looked after.
gothicangel69 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Soon to be South Carolina
Posts: 882
• Horses: 0
Go get your boy. Leasing would be an alternative to just straight up selling him, but in any case of selling a horse, there is always that big if.
The best you can do for him is to thoroughly checkout the prospective buyers.

In all seriousness, go get him. Don't let something like that slip through.
Posted via Mobile Device
BarrelWannabe is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 713
• Horses: 2
Go get him. I was recently (as in, yesterday) able to bring my heart horse home after 12 YEARS. She's not the same horse and our bond is changed... but she does remember me and the trust is there - we just have to work at it.

As long as you understand that your boy might not be the same horse and you're fine with that... go get him.
Courtney is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 656
• Horses: 1
Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me and let me know how much they are selling him for. If its an outrageous price, then I will not be able to get him, but maybe they could let the people they are selling him to know that I would be interested in staying in contact so I don't lose track of him again.
I love Flash, but I have only had him for 3 months, where I've had Kid for 8 years. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say before deciding what to do.
gothicangel69 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice for Difficult Decision FoxRidgeRanch Horse Training 13 03-09-2011 04:06 AM
A Hard Decision Phantom Legacy Horse Talk 9 10-17-2010 01:14 AM
Faced with a hard decision SorrelHorse Horse Talk 2 07-04-2010 11:06 PM
Having to make a hard decision soon-(vent) Sliding4ever Horse Talk 9 07-31-2008 01:30 PM
Advice Please: Keep or Giveaway- Tormenting Decision appys101 Horse Talk 7 06-30-2008 10:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome