The banned export status will be lifted in the next few weeks even days if it hasnt happened already. The first thing to do is speak to Kenilworth Quarantine Station
they are based in Western Cape and so your horse will have to be transported from where he is to there. There is no better authority on horse exports in South Africa than the guys are Kenilworth, you can ask for all the advice in the world on here and to be honest the only ones with the answers you need are at Kenilworth. S.A are very unlucky, they were given the all clear status on exports and within a month a case of AHS was reported (some might say a convenient coincidence) obviously there are breeders in europe that really don't want cheap African horses being exported... The country ahd to wait a clear 12 months after the last reported case prior ot beign granted the all clear again, that 12 months passed a couple of weeks ago and the country is now entering their lowest risk time for AHS, winter which improve sthe chances of the OIE lifting the current ban. The problem also arose a few months ago with a diagnosis of CEM, CEM is a venereal bacterial disease of equines. It can be transmitted by artificial insemination techniques and natural cover. South Africa was declared free of the disease in April 2011 and 1 month later surprise, surprise the OIE pulled their CEM free status due to the discovery of a case of CEM again. So now all stallions have also to be screened for CEM, the case of CEM isnt enough alone to have export limitations in place but when the country already has limitations due to AHS then this obviously doesnt help. I know it doesnt sound like good news but the veterinary association have submitted reports concerning the arradication of CEM, the 12 months since last case of AHS is imminent if not passed and so things are actually looking good for you exporting your horse. Like I said earlier, call or email Kenilworth.. they will know everything. I hope you and your horse are reunited soon.