Input on negotiations welcome
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Input on negotiations welcome

This is a discussion on Input on negotiations welcome within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Appendix gelding by giants causeway

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-29-2013, 03:39 AM
  #1
Banned
Input on negotiations welcome

Okay All, I am looking for some input into a possible purchase of a new gelding. He is EVERYTHING I have been looking for. Except we have ran into a hoof issue (White line). I have discussed the issue with the owner, and she says his final asking price is negotiable. I think I have decided what I would like to offer her for him. Would like input on whether it is 'acceptable'.

Background of horse:
He is a newly turned 4, 15.2 chestnut gelding. Registered appendix. Great grandson of Storm Cat (son of Giant's Causeway) and grandson of Frenchman's guy on dam's side. Has a personality of gold. Does not get "hot". Has consistently jumped up to 3'9. Shown up to Novice level in eventing. Placed 2nd at his latest event in May.

Due to his young age and his work history, I was hesitant about him at first. Due to the fact that his owner has 2 horses and can only financially support one, she was a very motivated seller. She offered him to me for $1,000. I gave her a $300 deposit, signed a "trial" contract and brought him to my barn for a PPE, etc.

Xrays of all legs were clean. Flexed a grade 0 after undergoing all flexion tests at the vet school. My vet was VERY thorough, and assured me the flexion tests and xrays showed no problems with legs, tendons, joints, etc.

Now his issue, severe white line the owner was unaware he had. I am facing 2-6 months rest on his behalf, which in all honestly my vet was recommending he get a few months off anyways if I bought him due to the fact he is still very obviously growing.

I honestly like this horse, and because I already have him at my barn I feel like it gives me an "advantage" when negotiating his final for sale price in light of this recent issue. When I contacted the owner with the news he had WLD, she asked me the severity and then told me if I was willing to deal with the issue his final price was negotiable. I told her I would wait until my appointment with my vet and farrier (6 pm tomorrow) before I called her with an offer.

Now my dilemma. I know I will NOT pay even $1,000 for a horse I cannot ride after buying, and who I immediately need to sink more money into. I do feel like he is worth the investment of time and money however for care as he has AMAZING potential as an eventing prospect. He is one I believe could go far.

I am wanting to offer her $500-$600 and ask that she throw in his boots and leather halter that came on trial with him. She also sent along his bridle with french link snaffle because she insisted he be rode in only that while on trial. I am willing to send bridle and bit back to her however. Honestly, I would send all of his equipment back to her if she desires, but I would probably only pay $400-$500 in that case.

Is that a reasonable offer? Or am I a horrible human being? I don't want to take advantage of the seller just because there is something wrong with him, but at the same time I do not want to pay a large amount for a horse with this issue. Thanks for the input. Interested in all opinions.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-29-2013, 05:28 AM
  #2
Green Broke
In my opinion if you paid a deposit and took him on trial that was an agreement on the final purchase price. The time to negotiate is prior to paying a deposit and prior to a trial.

However, now that there is a temporary unsoundness issue that will take a minimum of two months to resolve which obviously changes things

I guess to me offering half of the asking price is a bit insulting. The seller has gone above and beyond what most sellers would - agreeing to a trial and letting the horse go to your barn, and letting you have use of boots, a halter and bridle. The value of a trial alone, to me, would be worth hundreds. Add to that you say this horse has a lot of potential, and if that is true he's probably worth more than the $1000.

I think the lowest I would offer considering the agreed purchase price, the fact you were offered a trial and the use of gear would be $600, and if the tack were worth a lot, I wouldn't ask for that.

If you were buying the horse without trial you could offer $400 or so, but it is my opinion that in these circumstances that wouldn't be right.

Just my two cents though
AlexS likes this.
     
    07-29-2013, 07:45 AM
  #3
Yearling
If it was me, I would be upfront and ask the seller what they think is a fair reduction in price. The seller seems to have bent over backwards in letting you have the horse on trial etc. which to me means they are fair minded. No matter what they counteroffer, you seem to feel this horse is worth waiting for until he is sound, so why quibble over what (in the greater scheme of things) is a minor cost savings?
FaydesMom likes this.
     
    07-29-2013, 08:06 AM
  #4
Cat
Green Broke
So you have a calm horse, great personality, sounds nicely trained and doing decent in some shows/eventing, and is everything you want, and you think $1000 is too much? Horse market is in the dumps, but its not THAT in the dumps for a trained show horse. If it was me, the price you are offering (about 50% of original agreed upon price) would be insulting - especially with the requested tack.

I would find out what your vet and farrier say about the issue. If it is something that is cureable in a couple months time - then take $200 off the price for the inconvenience of rehab time OR request the tack to come with and $100 off price. If its not fully cureable or there is a high chance of it not being cureable - just walk away from the deal.
tinyliny, AlexS and FaydesMom like this.
     
    07-29-2013, 08:12 AM
  #5
Weanling
I think $1000 is reasonable for a horse of that quality, hoof issues including. Usually you would see a horse upwards of $3k so I think $1000 is reasonable. Providing that the hoof issue checks out as something that minor that will only require a few months off as indicated I would be asking for the tack to be thrown in for the inconvenience but paying the $1000 as agreed upon.
Cat likes this.
     
    07-29-2013, 09:49 AM
  #6
Weanling
I'm assuming you mean $500 to $600 including the $300 deposit, not on top of that, correct?

For a horse like that I don't think $1000 is unreasonable, but if that's what she was asking for in the first place I do think you deserve a reduction do to the WLD.
     
    07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia    
In my opinion if you paid a deposit and took him on trial that was an agreement on the final purchase price. The time to negotiate is prior to paying a deposit and prior to a trial.

However, now that there is a temporary unsoundness issue that will take a minimum of two months to resolve which obviously changes things

I guess to me offering half of the asking price is a bit insulting. The seller has gone above and beyond what most sellers would - agreeing to a trial and letting the horse go to your barn, and letting you have use of boots, a halter and bridle. The value of a trial alone, to me, would be worth hundreds. Add to that you say this horse has a lot of potential, and if that is true he's probably worth more than the $1000.

I think the lowest I would offer considering the agreed purchase price, the fact you were offered a trial and the use of gear would be $600, and if the tack were worth a lot, I wouldn't ask for that.

If you were buying the horse without trial you could offer $400 or so, but it is my opinion that in these circumstances that wouldn't be right.

Just my two cents though

I agree with my deposit being an agreement to his original asking price. When I contacted her about his issue it was simply to inform her of the situation and let her know I wanted to discuss with my farrier and vet exactly what I was facing before I made my final decision. She then responded with "If you decide to deal with it, his price is VERY negotiable".

Before the foot issue, I had no problem paying 1,000. He is very green, and needs some weight and some lessons in manners, but with the right training he will be great.

I think my plan of action will be to simply discuss situation with vet and farrier, and If I decide I want to commit to the care I will just ask his owner what she considers a fair offer. If I agree, I will pay the rest and he will stay.

OH and as far as asking half off his original price-- I was including 400-500 PLUS my original 300 dollar deposit. I should have clarified that. I would be fine with even paying 900 if that is what she requests. I know she does not want to deal with his issue. He will need hoof resections on at least both fronts, waiting to hear what vet tells me today about backs.
FaydesMom likes this.
     
    07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
  #8
Started
IMO I would pass on him strictly because he's JUST turned four and is consistently jumping 3'9... Soundness issues aside that is, IMO, a good way to sour a horse fast as they get older.

That said, I don't thing 500 + the deposit is unfair, if you're really wanting to go this route.
Posted via Mobile Device
cobbywob likes this.
     
    07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #9
Foal
Imo $1000 sounds like an absolute steal for a horse like this. I agree that I would be most concerned about the fact that he is *just* turned 4 and already been jumped extensively, and consistently jumping 3'9". That is a LOT of pounding on young joints that are not fully developed yet.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer a couple hundred bucks less, if you really like the horse, obviously you will be having some extra vet and farrier bills to compensate for if you do buy him. I think giving him some time off to grow up more is an extremely wise idea, WLD or no WLD. If he truly has potential to go far, you will definitely want to go slow and take your time and do things right the first time with him. And hopefully there will be no lasting damage from all this work while he is young.
     
    07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  #10
Super Moderator
Even with hoof issues (that are eminantly curable) a $1000 dollars for a horse of such breeding and temperament would be a steal here. If I owned that horse, and you offered me something like $500, I'd show you off the property and never speak to you again.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about buying a new trailer? Negotiations? BaileyJo Horse Trailers 10 01-22-2013 04:28 PM
Please critique this horse before Purchase Negotiations AbsitVita Horse Conformation Critique 16 09-13-2012 11:14 AM
Need some input DraftyAiresMum Other Pets 2 02-22-2012 11:00 PM
Need some input... TNJArabians Hoof Care 13 11-26-2011 09:33 PM
Thanks for the Input jennifer Horse Health 12 02-09-2007 12:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0