lease price for my mare, help? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

lease price for my mare, help?

This is a discussion on lease price for my mare, help? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree1Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-12-2012, 06:23 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Also guys, how much does the facility matter when deciding on a price? Because like I posted earlier a lot of the horses around here are going for $150-$250 a month and those horses are generally stabled where only trails are accessible, or only a smaller outdoor. Generally from what I have seen most of those properties do not have trainers on site and are smaller barns (some are nicer places though).

    Bev is kept at a larger barn, very nice and clean, friendly staff and boarders. Not a bunch of lesson kids running around either, but there are trainers for the boarders. They're actually more of a breeding barn, but do have a fair amount of boarders. They go to shows often (Thunderbird if anybody knows of it?). There's a large indoor (100ish x 200) with heated viewing, and an outdoor that is just a little smaller than the indoor. Stalls are 14 x 14. Close to trails, otherwise there is a grass hacking area around the entire property. Horses get out every day in either individual turnout or grass fields with 1-2 other horses. There's a hot/cold wash rack and cross ties. The staff are even nice enough most days to hose Bev's legs off after she's brought in if she's muddy.

    Sorry so much detail that ya'll probably don't need but I sort of assume that the facility would have something to do with lease cost and what a leaser might be willing to pay. I know I'd for sure be willing to pay more if the barn had full care and a large indoor vs. a barn with a smaller outdoor only.

    I just really want to make sure I set a fair price, not too high not too low. However it is hard because she is green though her monthly fees do add up soooo!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    I have just gone through all of this with my guy...it's quite the process!

    So I have a half lease for Robbie which means the leaser pays half of EVERYTHING month to month on a 6 month contract. She also get him for 3 days a week, I get him for 3 days and he gets one day off. A quater lease is 2 days and a full lease is 6 days (the horse is pretty much hers).
    So my leaser pays half of board which is $180, half of farrier $20, half of dewormer/shots $15 for every 8 weeks or so, etc.
    She also pays half of any vet costs he racks up (he cut his eye a couple months ago and the vet bill was split between us coming to $250 each), half the price of any new tack he needs, blankets, show costs, trailering and feed. So she is treating Robbie like half her horse, in which she pays half of everything.

    Now this is all in the contract so neither of us can screw each other over haha. She is required to take at least one lesson a week in which she pays for herself. Also anything she wants to buy for Robbie that he doesn't require, she pays herself.

    Now you mentioned that you would add a "fee" (1/4 of what the horse is worth) in the lease ontop of the basic bills. Is this what you're saying?? I'm kinda confused about your statement haha.
    If it is, I highly suggest not doing this for your mare. This is mostly done for expensive show horses or horses that are up for sale and have not been sold yet/going for a lease to own. Your mare although sweet and probably a very nice mount, seems very green and IMO I don't see anybody willing to pay an "extra" amount ontop of all the other costs. It's hard enough to get horse's leased, and only those A rated show horses can get away with adding an "extra price" ontop of the regular bills. My guy is a 3'6 A circut hunter and my leaser only pays his basic amount (around $350/month not including lessons...around the right price for a show pony) and not a ton of people in western Canada are looking to lease...they want to buy. For your green mare, $357 is a pretty steep price. Those willing to pay that are probably looking for a going, well broke horse and you had mentioned your mare has only cantered twice? I'd be expecting to see a half lease of $150/month, not double that.

    Now I mean no offense whatsoever, this is just my opinion and experience in my area (fairly similar to BC right now in terms of the horsie market) and I'm going off of the hunter/jumper world. Pictures would actually be great to more accurately judge your mare + the discipline she does, she may be one of those "green-right-now-but-in-3-months-will-be-unreal" kind of horses. But as of right now and from your description, $357 is just too steep of a price especially for only 3 days a week.

    Also, if you want an in-barn lease, the lease price has to reflect the kind of barn you are at as well. If you are wanting $357 a month from the leaser, your barn better have the facility $357/month deserves. I would expect an outdoor and indoor arena, wash racks, tack boxes, nice footing, large stalls, etc. If your barn does not match the price you are wanting to lease your mare out for, people are going to pass her up just because the facility doesn't warrant a $357 fee every month.
         
        01-12-2012, 06:26 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beverleyy    
    Also guys, how much does the facility matter when deciding on a price? Because like I posted earlier a lot of the horses around here are going for $150-$250 a month and those horses are generally stabled where only trails are accessible, or only a smaller outdoor. Generally from what I have seen most of those properties do not have trainers on site and are smaller barns (some are nicer places though).

    Bev is kept at a larger barn, very nice and clean, friendly staff and boarders. Not a bunch of lesson kids running around either, but there are trainers for the boarders. They're actually more of a breeding barn, but do have a fair amount of boarders. They go to shows often (Thunderbird if anybody knows of it?). There's a large indoor (100ish x 200) with heated viewing, and an outdoor that is just a little smaller than the indoor. Stalls are 14 x 14. Close to trails, otherwise there is a grass hacking area around the entire property. Horses get out every day in either individual turnout or grass fields with 1-2 other horses. The staff are even nice enough most days to hose Bev's legs off after she's brought in if she's muddy.

    Sorry so much detail that ya'll probably don't need but I sort of assume that the facility would have something to do with lease cost and what a leaser might be willing to pay. I know I'd for sure be willing to pay more if the barn had full care and a large indoor vs. a barn with a smaller outdoor only.

    I just really want to make sure I set a fair price, not too high not too low. However it is hard because she is green though her monthly fees do add up soooo!

    Haha, see we posted at the same time!
    TB is wonderful, added bonus that your barn trailers to shows...leaser's like a wide range of oppertunities. :)
         
        01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blush    
    I have just gone through all of this with my guy...it's quite the process!

    So I have a half lease for Robbie which means the leaser pays half of EVERYTHING month to month on a 6 month contract. She also get him for 3 days a week, I get him for 3 days and he gets one day off. A quater lease is 2 days and a full lease is 6 days (the horse is pretty much hers).
    So my leaser pays half of board which is $180, half of farrier $20, half of dewormer/shots $15 for every 8 weeks or so, etc.
    She also pays half of any vet costs he racks up (he cut his eye a couple months ago and the vet bill was split between us coming to $250 each), half the price of any new tack he needs, blankets, show costs, trailering and feed. So she is treating Robbie like half her horse, in which she pays half of everything.

    Now this is all in the contract so neither of us can screw each other over haha. She is required to take at least one lesson a week in which she pays for herself. Also anything she wants to buy for Robbie that he doesn't require, she pays herself.

    Now you mentioned that you would add a "fee" (1/4 of what the horse is worth) in the lease ontop of the basic bills. Is this what you're saying?? I'm kinda confused about your statement haha.
    If it is, I highly suggest
    not doing this for your mare. This is mostly done for expensive show horses or horses that are up for sale and have not been sold yet/going for a lease to own. Your mare although sweet and probably a very nice mount, seems very green and IMO I don't see anybody willing to pay an "extra" amount ontop of all the other costs. It's hard enough to get horse's leased, and only those A rated show horses can get away with adding an "extra price" ontop of the regular bills. My guy is a 3'6 A circut hunter and my leaser only pays his basic amount (around $350/month not including lessons...around the right price for a show pony) and not a ton of people in western Canada are looking to lease...they want to buy. For your green mare, $357 is a pretty steep price. Those willing to pay that are probably looking for a going, well broke horse and you had mentioned your mare has only cantered twice? I'd be expecting to see a half lease of $150/month, not double that.

    Now I mean no offense whatsoever, this is just my opinion and experience in my area (fairly similar to BC right now in terms of the horsie market) and I'm going off of the hunter/jumper world. Pictures would actually be great to more accurately judge your mare + the discipline she does, she may be one of those "green-right-now-but-in-3-months-will-be-unreal" kind of horses. But as of right now and from your description, $357 is just too steep of a price especially for only 3 days a week.

    Also, if you want an in-barn lease, the lease price has to reflect the kind of barn you are at as well. If you are wanting $357 a month from the leaser, your barn better have the facility $357/month deserves. I would expect an outdoor and indoor arena, wash racks, tack boxes, nice footing, large stalls, etc. If your barn does not match the price you are wanting to lease your mare out for, people are going to pass her up just because the facility doesn't warrant a $357 fee every month.
    oh no no, definitely not haha. I was just curious how to come to a price and I guess I worded that in correctly. I was basically just asking why some people do a 1/4 of the horse's worth, I have never myself met anybody personally who does it so had no experience with that. I was meaning should I do that or half of her monthly costs or something else. I realize adding that on would be just too steep for anybody, even half her board is steep! Sorry about that.

    I will post a few pictures, just give me a minute.
         
        01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Sorry, I really don't have much to choose from right now as I am on my mum's computer mine is in being fixed and have no idea if/when it will be back!

    I have probably posted some of these before, I apologize I really don't have recent photos of her under saddle. She is in training currently, however these are all from fall where she only had about 6 rides on her total from sept to end of nov. (so none of these were taken when she was in consistent work!) - She was started in July and ridden maybe 30 times over summer until September. She is in consistent work again and of course needs tuning up but she is looking lovely so far!



         
        01-12-2012, 06:40 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Wait, I lied here are a few of her back in summer probably about 6 weeks after she was first started? She had probably had about 15-20 rides on her in these photos..



         
        01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
      #17
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blush    
    Haha, see we posted at the same time!
    TB is wonderful, added bonus that your barn trailers to shows...leaser's like a wide range of oppertunities. :)

    Haha I noticed!

    & yes, I know when I looked at lease horses for myself I steered clear of the ones who were at smaller barns, generally because they only had 1 trainer only suitable for one discipline. That or they weren't close to trails, didn't go to shows. Little things like that were actually huge deal breakers for me. That, and an owner who would not be flexible on days or times, because my schedule is all over the place lol. I understand the owner has their needs too, but personally I don't like having a set day and time that I need to ride and if I miss it then I can't just go another day.

    So because I'm all over the place, I'd love if a leaser can be flexible too!
         
        01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
      #18
    Showing
    Okay this is what my partial lease (3 days a week) was like

    I pay board.. I pay vet.. I pay farrier. My lessee is only to pay for rental of the horse.. but they must re-stock everything and pay for any damages. It was $200 for 3 days a week riding.

    My horse is green and requires special handling.. but he's wonderful. He's training in Dressage.. walk, trot.. he didn't know how to canter. Of course the more he could do, the more I would charge. But I felt comfortable leasing for that amount.

    Now he can canter and he's learning about staying connected and focused. So I'd probably charge more.

    But my board is $450 so I charged a little under half for a little under half of the week, if that makes sense.

    If your board is $555, then do half at least. That's my recommendation for you. When your horse gets more training and maybe gets into some shows, you can charge more due to being a reliable and experienced mount :)

    She's lovely by the way!

    Also, the more people you can get on her for a few schooly rides, the better prepared your horse will be to handle someone that isn't a super experienced rider (like an intermediate that is still learning) or different weights and feels. Just make sure they use the same cues you do or you'll confuse the horse.

    Good luck... find the right person!
         
        01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beverleyy    
    oh no no, definitely not haha. I was just curious how to come to a price and I guess I worded that in correctly. I was basically just asking why some people do a 1/4 of the horse's worth, I have never myself met anybody personally who does it so had no experience with that. I was meaning should I do that or half of her monthly costs or something else. I realize adding that on would be just too steep for anybody, even half her board is steep! Sorry about that.

    I will post a few pictures, just give me a minute.

    Oooooohhhhh okay! Gotcha, makes sense now haha.
    She's a very pretty mare, looks wonderful for the limited u/s time she has! :) You can tell she is on the greener side but I was expecting a horse with her face up in the air with legs going 12 different directions haha. So I suggest pictures with the lease ad. ;)

    What are you advertising her as: hunter, jumper, eq, pleasure, dressage? The price of the lease will reflect in the discipline you are aiming her at. Prices are quite different for hunters, jumpers, derby and eq mounts and dressage.
         
        01-12-2012, 06:59 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beverleyy    
    haha I noticed!

    & yes, I know when I looked at lease horses for myself I steered clear of the ones who were at smaller barns, generally because they only had 1 trainer only suitable for one discipline. That or they weren't close to trails, didn't go to shows. Little things like that were actually huge deal breakers for me. That, and an owner who would not be flexible on days or times, because my schedule is all over the place lol. I understand the owner has their needs too, but personally I don't like having a set day and time that I need to ride and if I miss it then I can't just go another day.

    So because I'm all over the place, I'd love if a leaser can be flexible too!
    I think it's going to be harder to find someone that is really flexible like that...I have set days to ride, and they are the only days I really can ride. If the owner started moving my lease days around, I'd have to find another horse to lease.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bred pigeon toed mare - how much should this effect her price? cowgirlnay Horse Conformation Critique 2 01-05-2012 03:51 PM
    Price friend's mare please. Hunterjumper7654 Horse Conformation Critique 5 12-09-2011 12:22 AM
    TB mare for lease ottbmommy Horses for Sale 1 02-22-2010 09:19 PM
    Need a price on my Oldenburg Mare! starlinestables Horse Riding Critique 4 04-19-2009 12:17 AM
    Driving - Riding mare for sale. Price? wstevenl Horses for Sale 5 05-21-2008 10:33 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0