I was being naughty and looking at horses for sale today, even though I only have twenty bucks to my name right now, haha. Anyways, I occasionally search for Free horses in my area just to see what comes up. Well, I found this Filly online today and I just want to see what you thought of her. Her name is Bonbon (not crazy about that name).
She is being listed as free to an approved home. She is about six months old and has unknown breeding. Her mother was a large pinto pony (about 14hh) that was bought at an auction with the foal at her side. So, not much is known about this filly. She is located only a couple hours from where I will be moving to next month for my horse training internship. When she was really little she got caught in some barbed wire and cut up her legs, so the owners of her mother gave her to the person she is with now because they were better equipped to treat her. Bonbon has healed now with barely any visible evidence of the injury. According to the owners she has impeccable manors because she was handled everyday to treat her cuts. She's only six months and she already ties,leads and picks up her feet, no problem. The owners are not equipped to train a foal and so they are wanting to give her to an approved home through an adoption application process.
My curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. I can't get another horse right at THIS moment, but in a few months, once I've settled into my internship, I might be able to get one. I like the idea of training a horse from such a young age. It would give me good training experience. I need to start building my string of future lesson horses, why not work on training this little girl. Because she is so young she would not need saddle training at this point (of course) so she wouldn't distract from my internship much. In fact it would give me a good opportunity to work with my own youngster while under the watchful eye of a mentor.
I e-mailed the owners today just to ask a few more questions about Bonbon (I can't help myself sometimes
). Unfortunately there has been an outbreak of strangles at her barn so she needs to wait a few months before she tries to find Bonbon a new home, she doesn't want to risk spreading the virus. Strangles is never good news, but this does give me a couple months to think it over and it kind of keep Bonbon on hold for me. She's not going anywhere fast.
What do you guys think? Am I treading dangerous water here? The lady seemed very genuine in the fact that she really wants what's best for Bonbon (I think I'm just going to call her Bonnie for now, I like that name better). Of course I would get a vet check first and would probably have her quarantined for awhile if I were to get her, just in case. Strangles is rarely deadly, and does not leave the horse with any long term effects, so I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to spread it.
I'd appreciate your input,