Little help on potential new horse...
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Little help on potential new horse...

This is a discussion on Little help on potential new horse... within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By themacpack
    • 1 Post By Saskia

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-25-2012, 11:18 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Little help on potential new horse...

    Hello Everybody...

    I have several questions but I will try and give you as much information as I know about the horse. He is a 17 year old Irish Sporthorse (will be 18 this spring) gelding imported from Ireland. No vices, easy keeper, front shoes only if you are riding him. Easy to handle and gets along so well with other horses.

    His previous life he was a fox hunter, eventer, and jumper through 3'9" . A chip to his coffin joint along with some normal aging now his job is w/t/c for advanced beginners or beginner adults. Okay to jump smaller jumps. Great on the trail and on the fox hunt he is fine.

    My concern in the chip in the coffin bone. Could/would this cause me problems if I don't want to use him for jumping as I just had to put down my horse in August for a leg injury.

    Please if anyone can offer advise it would be greatly appreciated.

    P.S. I would be getting for free.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 3E73G43L95L75I95F5cbo79fdda2f538d18e9.jpg (14.7 KB, 121 views)
    File Type: jpg 3G53Mb3Jd5N15L55F9cbpbe2b43d79a821f26.jpg (25.4 KB, 117 views)
    File Type: jpg 3Gf3L53Nf5Gc5U05Hacbp0744e161e7581040.jpg (21.4 KB, 118 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-25-2012, 11:21 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    I would not take him if a jumper is what you want....but beyond that I'd take him in a heartbeat. I would do a PPE and ask the vet doing the PPE about your specific concerns
    myhorsesonador likes this.
         
        11-25-2012, 11:35 PM
      #3
    Foal
    I'm sorry...but what is a PPE? I don't want to jump him, I just want to ride him around till I can find a good jumping horse.
         
        11-25-2012, 11:47 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Pre purchase exam definitely get one he looks like really nice :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-26-2012, 01:08 AM
      #5
    Banned
    Some horses will recover from that with no lasting problems, it just depends.
    What do you want to do with the horse? What are your riding goals?

    Have your vet evaluate the horse, and to save yourself some money, try to get the xrays from the person giving the horse away. If the break happened while they owned the horse, they will be able to get them for you.
         
        11-26-2012, 06:25 AM
      #6
    Green Broke
    To me, it seems a bit silly to get a horse you can't jump while you wait around looking for a horse that can.

    And there's no guarantees with horses. You might find it difficult to move him on when you find another horse and then be stuck with two.

    To me its a bad move to get a horse you don't really want just because he's cheap. If you want a horse for jumping wait for a horse for jumping.

    This injury is always going to play on your mind. Just my two cents, but its very much a personal choice, I'd never get an injured horse, free or not. Horses are risky enough as is, and a free horse costs no less to keep than an expensive one. I've spent much more money transporting my horse around than I spent buying her.
    smrobs likes this.
         
        11-26-2012, 11:20 AM
      #7
    Foal
    Here is additional information that I received from the owner of the horse....

    He has an old coffin joint chip and at once had an injury to his deep flexor tendon- he is okay for light work, trail riding, and slow in the hunt field. He can not jump too much or high (18 inches is best). He also can not do any hard galloping. He is on adequan knock off brand ($30 a month).
         
        11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
      #8
    Foal
    Thank you for everyones input on this horse...I decided not to take him.
         
        11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    My bosses horse fractured his coffin bone but he is back to showjumping 4ft plus and XC. Depends on each case.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Potential Horse Tracer Horse Conformation Critique 10 10-29-2012 12:36 PM
    Another potential horse teamfire Horse Riding Critique 16 09-19-2011 10:55 AM
    Potential horse..... yet again, hopefully this one will be it! reining girl Horse Talk 16 03-18-2010 08:57 PM
    Potential horse My2Geldings Horse Riding Critique 9 11-30-2009 10:05 PM
    Another potential horse reining girl Horse Riding Critique 32 11-29-2009 06:31 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0