Looking for a certain horse breed
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Looking for a certain horse breed

This is a discussion on Looking for a certain horse breed within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Certain horse
  • Tall horse breeds

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-03-2011, 03:31 PM
  #1
Foal
Red face Looking for a certain horse breed

Okay....here's the deal

I've been searching for years, and I hope I will be able to get the answer here

Ever since I was little I was absolutely mad about very tall horses

I've been looking and doing research on the internet and in books but...i can't seem to ever find the same information (every site and every book gives different hights)

What race has most chances of getting quite tall? Like...1m80 (5ft9) or taller? And im looking for a breed of a horse to ride or a carriage horse
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv    
Okay....here's the deal

I've been searching for years, and I hope I will be able to get the answer here

Ever since I was little I was absolutely mad about very tall horses

I've been looking and doing research on the internet and in books but...i can't seem to ever find the same information (every site and every book gives different hights)

What race has most chances of getting quite tall? Like...1m80 (5ft9) or taller? And im looking for a breed of a horse to ride or a carriage horse
Hi,

It is nice to hear you have a passion for big horses. Are you looking to buy a horse?

You should know that horses aren't measured in feet and inches, or metres, like people are. They are measured in hands. 1 Hand is equivalent to 4 inches. My horses, for example are 15.3 hands, and 14.2 hands.
Forgive me, I do not mean to sound rude, but referring to horse height in metres makes you sound like you may not be an experienced horse person. If you are looking to buy a horse, a bit more research may be needed!

Horses are measured at the withers. I assume you meant 5"9 at the withers and not at the head?

Draft horses are often the tallest varieties. Percherons are usually between 16 and 18 hands. Shires and clydesdales are also very large breeds. They are heavy as well as tall. They are also usually around 17 hands, give or take. Belgian horses are also very large.

These are the breeds I would be looking at to find a very tall horse. There are of course other, I'm sure some other posters will elaborate.
     
    07-04-2011, 03:32 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAngel    
Hi,

It is nice to hear you have a passion for big horses. Are you looking to buy a horse?

You should know that horses aren't measured in feet and inches, or metres, like people are. They are measured in hands. 1 Hand is equivalent to 4 inches. My horses, for example are 15.3 hands, and 14.2 hands.
Forgive me, I do not mean to sound rude, but referring to horse height in metres makes you sound like you may not be an experienced horse person. If you are looking to buy a horse, a bit more research may be needed!

Horses are measured at the withers. I assume you meant 5"9 at the withers and not at the head?

Draft horses are often the tallest varieties. Percherons are usually between 16 and 18 hands. Shires and clydesdales are also very large breeds. They are heavy as well as tall. They are also usually around 17 hands, give or take. Belgian horses are also very large.

These are the breeds I would be looking at to find a very tall horse. There are of course other, I'm sure some other posters will elaborate.
I did indeed mean from the withers, I didnt think I had to say that since its obvious you measure horses at the withers. Also I'm from Belgium, and there we actually do refer horses their heights in metres. I know Shires and Clydesdales are some the tallest, however perhaps a bit too heavy lol
     
    07-04-2011, 03:40 PM
  #4
Green Broke
The lightest, tallest horse breed I can think of, or that I have seen, are warmbloods, theres a lot of 17, and 18 hand warmbloods at the barn i'm at or in the area.
     
    07-04-2011, 03:43 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergirl23    
the lightest, tallest horse breed I can think of, or that I have seen, are warmbloods, theres a lot of 17, and 18 hand warmbloods at the barn i'm at or in the area.
aaah sounds amazing
     
    07-04-2011, 03:46 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Haha yeah, I love big horses to, they are very fun. Are you looking at buying a horse?
     
    07-04-2011, 03:55 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergirl23    
haha yeah, I love big horses to, they are very fun. Are you looking at buying a horse?
in the future :) but I figured I started doing research quite soon so I rly know what I'm up to when I actually buy one
     
    07-04-2011, 03:59 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Thats a good idea! I would also recommend taking lessons at a local stable on the barns horses with a good instructor if you aren't already.
     
    07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergirl23    
Thats a good idea! I would also recommend taking lessons at a local stable on the barns horses with a good instructor if you aren't already.
oh! That's a good idea!
     
    07-05-2011, 04:10 AM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv    
I did indeed mean from the withers, I didnt think I had to say that since its obvious you measure horses at the withers. Also I'm from Belgium, and there we actually do refer horses their heights in metres. I know Shires and Clydesdales are some the tallest, however perhaps a bit too heavy lol

That is fair enough. I did later wonder if it was a region thing. I was not aware where you were from. I have travelled quite a bit and never been anywhere where horses aren't measured in hands. I find it interesting that you go by metres in Belgium. Sorry for the misunderstanding. You learn something new everyday.

I also apologise if I sounded a bit rude/patronising. You may think it is obvious that everyone knows horses are measured from the withers. While it is obvious to me, I had no knowledge of your background, and believe me, I have met some people with some REALLY strange ideas about horses. I wanted to approach carefully, that is all. There is a popular thread in the horse talk section called "dumbest horse for sale ads" which is simple proof that even the most obvious things to most people can confuse the select few!

I second the suggestion of getting some lessons before you buy, even if you have ridden before. I think you would find it really enjoyable, and it will also put you in a much better position when you do buy. That's the thing with horses...there's always something to learn, no matter how long you spend around them.

I hope my previous suggestions of Shires, Clydesdales, Percherons and Belgians will still prove helpful in your future reseach. Warmbloods are also a very good suggestion, as it is true that the breeds I posted were very heavy!

I used to know, and occasionally ride an 18h ( about 1 metre 80?) Shire called Harry, he was an amazing boy!

Good luck in your search!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Breed of Horse does this look like? Jet7689 Horse Breeds 12 12-07-2010 07:18 PM
If you could own any breed of horse... QHDragon Horse Breeds 85 12-07-2010 05:03 PM
??if you could have any breed of horse what would it be?? WranglerBlondie93. Horse Breeds 65 11-25-2008 11:04 AM
if you were a breed of horse.... upnover Horse Talk 7 03-08-2008 07:37 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0