Making an offer on Miniature mare, ideas?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Making an offer on Miniature mare, ideas?

This is a discussion on Making an offer on Miniature mare, ideas? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Is the horse legally mine after 2 years

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-19-2011, 10:19 PM
  #1
Teen Forum Moderator
Making an offer on Miniature mare, ideas?

I don't know if this is the ride topic to put it under, but I didnt know where else to put it.

I've been working with a mini named Sour for the past few years now, pretty much since she was born. Im the only one who gets along with her (READ HER BIO FOR MORE INFO!!!!) and recently, because her manners are improving, people are seeing her potential as breeding stock. However, she's young, and I don't think she'd like to be penned up in a stall, pregnate, year after year. A lot has gone wrong with Sour, and the owners hate her, but I love her to death. I'm hoping to try offering to buy her, and keep her at their barn for a fee each month. I'm on a pretty low budget, and generally they don't board horses, but I think they may make an exception for me since I've been out there for years, and am a close friend. How much do you think I should offer? We live near Houston Texas and horse market is fair. A nice conformation, well trained, show prospect mini would bring about $1000 here. This is some of her information, she's nowhere near show material though.

2 years, 9 months old
registered AMH
chestnut with no white except three specks on back
fair conformation, not fantastic- not terrible
nice head
36 inches tall
***PREGNATE x.x
terrible attitude with everyone but me xD
very high strung
daughter of halter one-time champion and normal broodmare

if you need more info, just let me know =] I have some pictures so you can see her confo also.








Also, with her being pregnate- if she was sold to me, the foal would legally be mine right? Im not so sure about a lot of this ^_^ And what do you think I should offer to pay monthly for her upkeep? I would take care of the shots and worming and stuff, but as of in food? She'd just be in a pasture with the other mares, no stall or anything. THANKS SO MUCH!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-19-2011, 10:20 PM
  #2
Teen Forum Moderator
Double post, sorry. I know she has a very high croup in these pictures, but it was a few months ago and she's grown a lot since then. Its starting to level out and look more...normal xD
     
    02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
  #3
Weanling
She is only 2 years old and is pregnant? I know at the TB breeding farm I worked at, we wouldn't dream of breeding a horse until it was a mare (4 years old). Pregnancy is physically taxing, especially so on a young horse--there is a much higher risk for complications.

How much you offer to pay for feed and board would depend on several things. Is she on pasture? Does she recieve grain? Is she stalled or kept out 24/7? I'm not sure what hay costs in your area, but in Minnesota, it would cost somewhere around $75 to feed her each month if you were to give her a bit of grain as well as hay. Miniature horses that aren't show quality go anywhere from $50-$500 in my area.

She is a cute little filly--let us know if you purchase her!
     
    02-20-2011, 12:53 PM
  #4
Showing
In my area? $500
     
    02-20-2011, 03:32 PM
  #5
Teen Forum Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliGirl    
She is only 2 years old and is pregnant? I know at the TB breeding farm I worked at, we wouldn't dream of breeding a horse until it was a mare (4 years old). Pregnancy is physically taxing, especially so on a young horse--there is a much higher risk for complications.

How much you offer to pay for feed and board would depend on several things. Is she on pasture? Does she recieve grain? Is she stalled or kept out 24/7? I'm not sure what hay costs in your area, but in Minnesota, it would cost somewhere around $75 to feed her each month if you were to give her a bit of grain as well as hay. Miniature horses that aren't show quality go anywhere from $50-$500 in my area.

She is a cute little filly--let us know if you purchase her!
Its insane isn't it? I 110% agree that she SHOULD NOT be in foal at only two. Her chances of difficulties are extremely high. In fact, that is part of the reason that I've decided that I want to buy her. If I owned her, I could get her the propper vet care that she needs to atleast up the odds of a healthy foal in her last few months of pregnancy. Her pregnancy was an accident- and I am very upset that it happened- but what's done is done. Aborting the foal doesnt seem right since it's already so far along, so I can only help to aid her through all of this.

As for the subject of her board, she's a pasture kept horse 24/7. All of the minis have a limited supply of grass (to ensure no colic/foundering), a flake of alfalfa hay, and a filler horse/pony feed that costs about $10 a bag each. One bag generally feeds one mini for a month since they only get about 1/3 of a bucket each day (sometimes I think even that is too much xP those guys are FAT) I'm estimating that in a months time she probably goes through two bales of hay and one bag of feed, bringing the price to around $30-40 dollars a month. Ofcourse, if I do buy her, I want to start her on a higher nutrience diet while she's pregnate, and a special feed or supliment for nursing mares once she foals. I would be buying that myself though. Know that I'm out there once to twice a week to pick up the muck in the pasture she says in, so I don't really feel like I need to pay for 'mucking' services in the board fee, since IM the one that does it, and I volunteer ^_^

Does $80-90 per month sound reasonable? I mean, really all they would need to do is feed her. I know its not as much as you'd normally pay, but I put in hours and hours of work out there every week, and they're a non profit therapy farm, so they can't really take more than what it takes to cover her care. Anything else would have to go directly to them, not the orginization.

Thanks so much for helping guys. =] So I'll probably offer them $350-500 for her? That sound reasonable?
     
    02-21-2011, 02:05 AM
  #6
Trained
You would probably have to discuss who gets the foal with her owners. If they hate her so much, the might not want the foal, but they also might want it. They could sell you Sour with the foal, or you could buy Sour during her pregnancy, then they get the foal after it is weaned. I would talk to her owners about that.
     
    02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
  #7
Teen Forum Moderator
Mmk =] I'm hoping to buy her with the foal, but chances are- they'll want it. I really don't want it to turn into a demon foal. I've been talking to a few people though and they've all told me that if I buy her with them knowing she's pregnate- the foal is legally mine. Which is great =D I won't be able to keep it, but hopefully I can get it nice and gentle on lead line and stuff, and by the time he/she is weaned- find someone who will give it the home it deserves. Im just waiting on some job application stuff to come in, and if I've been accepted for a summer job- I'll make an offer on Sour and her colt or filly in the next week or two!
     
    02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
  #8
Trained
Just a note of caution here.

I really commend you for wanting to buy her and give her a great life and you are obviously thinking things through on the financial side, which is fantastic, BUT......my worry is a 2 year old being pregnant, and especially a mini 2 year old, COULD lead to some big vet bills looming. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but you are going to have to factor in that risk into your budget. I am no expert on mini's but I do know that they are liable to far more foaling complications than full size mares are.

Good luck with your plan, she sure is a sweet little thing
     
    02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
  #9
Started
Friend bought a two year old bred mini and had the vet give the horse a shot to abort or absorb the foal... not sure I remember which but IMO it is far to young to be bred
     
    02-21-2011, 01:09 PM
  #10
Teen Forum Moderator
Golden Horse- I have thought this through, and I understand that there is a very large chance of her needing assistance. I'm actually already planning for a place for her to stay during the last few weeks of pregnancy that is...safer, than being out in a field with a bunch of other mares. A friend of mine has offered her one stall barn for Sour to give birth in when the time comes. That means that I will be able to watch her more closely (and there will be someone there at all times just meters away, if we see that she has difficulties) and I plan to have a vet on call just in case. I sincerely hope that all goes well, and none of this IS needed, but if it is- I have set aside an amount of money for vet care as well as immunizations once the foal is born and such. Granted, its not a LOT of money- and if the foal has major issure there is a possibility in having to euthenize it (ie, deformities, major health issues, etc) but if it needs a little help along the way, I'm fairly sure that I'll have enough =] I'm surely going to pray that all is well though, and she gives birth to her first (and ONLY if I can help it) foal! I plan to have the foal gelded as soon as it is old enough, if it happens to be a colt also, because there is quite a bit inbreeding in it's bloodlines and keeping it 'intact' even if it is an exceptional baby would be dangerous!

And WickedNag- I do understand that it is common practice to induce a mare to reject her foal before it is born- especially if the breeding was not on purpose as in this case- but I firmly believe that inducing abortion in horses is just as wrong as in humans. I had Sour palpated ( THAT WAS NOT FUN $_$ ) not long ago and such, and the vet said there was about a 70% chance of her producing a healthy foal with no problems at all. I am going to go through the pregnancy with her, but will not hesitate to give any and all assistance needed through birth. Plus, Sour is coming on ten months of pregnancy now, and the foal is almost completely formed. I don't know of very many vets willing to go ahead and abort it at this stage. As I see it, even if it was aborted now, Sour would still have to 'push it out,' even if it was dead. A dead foal of this one's size can do just as much damage as a live one, and I'd like to give this colt or filly a chance at life before I decide anything ^_^
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you pay for this mare? And advice about how to make an offer? poultrygirl Horse Talk 48 12-22-2010 01:13 PM
Ideas for making $$$ - broke! horseluver50 Horse Talk 15 09-26-2010 02:56 AM
anybody got any ideas on how to breake in a miniature???????????????????? phonix Horse Training 5 04-14-2009 04:51 AM
Money-Making Ideas? anrz Horse Talk 23 01-28-2009 06:46 AM
9yr old QH mare-make an offer HrsGrl323 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 8 01-25-2008 10:20 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0