I was thinking a thread for tips on budget savers would be a good idea, tips can be anything related to horses! Thought w could all help each other save some $$!
Here are some tips I will share with you
- If you want your saddle cloth/anything else clean and free of horse hair, wrap masking tape around your hand (sticky side up) to pick up the hairs, when you pat it
- For shiny hooved rub a cut onion on them daily
- You can make your own hoof oil using stockham tar and veg oil
- Before oiling your saddle, sit it in the sun for a couple hours and it will soak all the oil up more readily
- To clean copper bits and buckles try using tomato sauce
- To clean your bit you can use a tooth brush and toothpaste to help remove stains and grime.
- To clean your bit or stirrup use an earser/rubber
- A cheap TREAT (yes... not regularly) for your horse, you can get, is day old bread from the bakery
- A cheap alternative to hoof black is black shoe polish and then spray over with hair spray (not sure I recommen as I havent tried it..... and don't think I will)
To make a fly spray, use 2 cups veg oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tsp Natural Citronella Oil
(you MUST use natural citronella - can't be for oil burners etc)
Mix well, shake and spray... just don't use it near their eyes..
Magic mud remover
Apply baking soda, water and vinegar.
Mix the baking soda and water into a thick paste, then apply it to the dry mud, spray with water and vinegar mix, and watch it foam up - then just brush the mud away!