Moral/Ethical Question
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Moral/Ethical Question

This is a discussion on Moral/Ethical Question within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
      #1
    Started
    Moral/Ethical Question

    Due to recent events in my life I need to sell my horse and get an apartment. I have someone who is very interested in my horse and will be coming out the next few days, last night to see him, today for her instructor to see, once to go on a trail ride, and then a vet check. Here's my question: My horse has a full set of shoes. He will be at 6 weeks next week. Should I get him done, or hold off to see what happens with her. (Mind you money is also very tight right now and that's the only reason I'm asking.) Would be it terrible if she buys him and picks him up the weekend after his 6 weeks, (so he would be 6 1/2 weeks when she would pick him up)? Or should I just get his feet done.

    I don't want to pull his shoes if she is planning on purchasing him because he may be a little foot sore for a few days.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
      #2
    Started
    I should mention that I was planning on pulling his shoes next time the farrier was out of him, but I don't because of the potential buyer, so should I wait to see what happens?
         
        09-22-2011, 01:05 PM
      #3
    Started
    Only speaking for myself, I'd let it go for a few days and see if they would buy him. Especially if the shoes weren't clanking and threatening to come off.
         
        09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
      #4
    mls
    Trained
    Can the horse wait until week 7 or 8 for the farrier?

    You want the horse sound. Unfortunately in this day and age telling the person 'he's tender due to just having had his shoes pulled' - while true - may be a flag for her.
         
        09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
      #5
    Started
    I did not want pull his shoes if she was interested in him just for that very reason. If she is going to buy him, it will be within the next 10 days. (She did ride him last night and saw that he was sound) And if she doesn't buy him, I going to pull his shoes, but if she is going to buy him, should I get him reset one more time for her. Or should I wait to see what happens with her and if she does buy him, that would become her problem right away. I don't know if that is right to do that to someone....
         
        09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    I don't think its unethical to wait. When I bought Lucky he was due to have his teeth floated and sheath cleaned. Once the decision was made (after the PPE) I had the vet go ahead and do both and I paid. I didn't mind that at all. Shoes aren't a huge expense, I wouldn't have been upset if he'd needed those done too. I would let her know he's about due if she buys him so she is informed but other than that, as a buyer, it wouldn't bother me.

    I agree with mls.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
      #7
    Super Moderator
    I would rather present a horse with longish toes than risk a farrier trimming a bit short and have that affect his movement.
         
        09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
      #8
    Started
    I think I would wait until she makes her decision, and let her know what the deal is with his shoes. That way she will know what to expect if/when she does buy him. I agree that you want him sound while she is looking into buying him.
         
        09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
      #9
    Started
    I did tell her last night that he was at 5 weeks. He tends to trip often when he is long, she is aware of that situation.
         
        09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
      #10
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wetrain17    
    I did tell her last night that he was at 5 weeks. He tends to trip often when he is long, she is aware of that situation.
    You did the right thing.

    If she hasn't made her decision the day before the farrier appointment, prompt her. Let her know it's the normal time you pull his shoes prior to winter and you would prefer to allow him the time get used to barefoot if she is not going to purchase him.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I need help with a moral decision. Tymer General Off Topic Discussion 18 07-08-2011 08:16 AM
    Actually a human training question ... need moral support. MaryMary Horse Training 14 01-28-2011 02:08 AM
    Double thread: Riding question and mental question Tymer English Riding 16 11-09-2010 05:28 PM
    height question--someone please answer this question. Gidget Horse Breeds 8 09-21-2010 07:53 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0