My superior intelligent horse, or I am just lucky?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

My superior intelligent horse, or I am just lucky?

This is a discussion on My superior intelligent horse, or I am just lucky? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Found my horse with a wire wrapped around her leg
  • My intelligent horse

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
  #1
Trained
Cool My superior intelligent horse, or I am just lucky?

This morning as I do my dash outside to feed the horses (yes, in my jammypants & dirty barn coat), I see my Indy is caught up in electric fencing wire. It's been turned off since it's snowed as it doesn't work that well, looks to me like a deer jumped it & pulled it out of the insulators and it tangled on the ground, seen the incriminating deer tracks, rats with fur I call them. I think my Indy boy stepped into the center of this (ok, he's not that intelligent, but maybe he wasn't looking?). It's wrapped around his back leg, up high too. I am telling him "Easy, easy" and he's looking at me as if to say "Oh puhlease, like I would hurt myself? Just get this off me so I can eat my breaky!" I untangle his leg, it's not tight at all, looks like he got tangled and didn't fight it, he waited for help. Not a mark on him. His dad is flipping out because this delayed the morning meal, but he's smart too, he didn't go near it, probably thought it was still hot, hehe. So you think I have horseshoes up my butt or my horse is just really intelligent, like mule? I heard mules don't fight & hurt themselves when they get tangled up, they wait for help. Come to think of it, Indy does have kinda big ears!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
  #2
Trained
Oh Puhleeze...you think your horses are smarter than everyone elses....ok, so they are pretty smart...
waresbear likes this.
     
    01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
  #3
Green Broke
I'd say he has a strong sense of self preservation!

Years ago, my girl T and I accidentally got tangled in a wire fence that was down. Unfortunately for her ( and later me) it was hot. She stood there and waited while I dismounted and then untangled the loops from her lower leg. I was amazed at her, and me (I'm terrified of electricity, unreasonably so I know). She is very respectful of the hot wire on my fence, and won't even drink out of the water tank if the deicer is in it.
     
    01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  #4
Trained
I'd say he's pretty smart.

When we first moved into our new house, we had a small paddock by the barn that was fenced in with cattle wire. The kind of fence is kinda like chainlink only with large square holes? Anyways, the arab we leased must have ran him into the fence, and Jasper tried jumping it. Well, Jasper is a western trail horse through and through. He can't jump over a stick. LoL His back legs went through the fence holes and he ended up twisted and laying on his back on the other side of the fence with his legs caught up and sticking straight into the air. Like a dead deer!

My mom found him, who knows how long he had been like that, maybe 5 minutes, maybe over an hour. But he didn't fight it, just laid there. He was only 2 years old and handled it like a pro. What a sensible boy...

I'm glad your horse is okay!
     
    01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  #5
Trained
That is nice to hear when you have a really nice horse that could and will manage to injure himself even in a padded stall wrapped in bubble wrap.....self preservation is just a fantasy.

Walkamile...I love your signature, I am pretty sure that is what the hubby says..tee he...
     
    01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
That is nice to hear when you have a really nice horse that could and will manage to injure himself even in a padded stall wrapped in bubble wrap.....self preservation is just a fantasy.

Walkamile...I love your signature, I am pretty sure that is what the hubby says..tee he...
Awww Cowchick, you have one of those horses eh? For several years it seemed Walka was to be one also.

I learned how to bandage and treat just about every imaginable and unimaginable things. My vet book was worn to a frazzle. My vet's number was on speed dial. Matter of fact, all I had to say to my vet was "hi, it's Tess" and he knew who I was calling about. I also threatened to wrap him in bubble wrap and pad everything I could. Fortunately he either out grew his stupidity or figured out that not everything was a great idea and thought things through better. Who knows!
skeelys likes this.
     
    01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
  #7
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamile    
Awww Cowchick, you have one of those horses eh? For several years it seemed Walka was to be one also.

I learned how to bandage and treat just about every imaginable and unimaginable things. My vet book was worn to a frazzle. My vet's number was on speed dial. Matter of fact, all I had to say to my vet was "hi, it's Tess" and he knew who I was calling about. I also threatened to wrap him in bubble wrap and pad everything I could. Fortunately he either out grew his stupidity or figured out that not everything was a great idea and thought things through better. Who knows!

Oh Lordy yes! My dad always said "you can't kill a bad dog" and I think the same about horses....so he must be a good one, if I can keep him together!

The last trainer I rode with, the first time he seen him said "what happened to him?" I told him, all the scars on his legs and the bashed in forehead...and he said the same..."he must be going to be a good one, it's Hell trying to keep a good one alive."
I keep thinking, good at what? Getting into wrecks?
CLaPorte432 likes this.
     
    01-31-2012, 02:49 AM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
I'd say he's pretty smart.

When we first moved into our new house, we had a small paddock by the barn that was fenced in with cattle wire. The kind of fence is kinda like chainlink only with large square holes? Anyways, the arab we leased must have ran him into the fence, and Jasper tried jumping it. Well, Jasper is a western trail horse through and through. He can't jump over a stick. LoL His back legs went through the fence holes and he ended up twisted and laying on his back on the other side of the fence with his legs caught up and sticking straight into the air. Like a dead deer!

My mom found him, who knows how long he had been like that, maybe 5 minutes, maybe over an hour. But he didn't fight it, just laid there. He was only 2 years old and handled it like a pro. What a sensible boy...

I'm glad your horse is okay!
LOL, I like that saying. I will now steal it and use it as my own. The wire I think you are mentioning is what we call Page wire. Maybe just a Canadian term? Never mind my horse, glad your horse was ok!
     
    01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
  #9
Green Broke
When I have a young horse I try and get them used to things, like trailing lead ropes, ropes wrapped around their legs etc in the hope that should this ever occur they don't panic. I think its panicking that causes the most damage.
     
    01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
  #10
Green Broke
This link far better describes the Old Timey term "horse sense" than I can

A drifting cowboy: Cowboy Wisdom -- Horse sense or credit where it isn't always due

Not all horses have horse sense.

I have one that did just what the OP's horse did when we first moved here and he got too close to a couple dangling pieces of electric wire on an old fence line. He's the horse that stops dead and won't breath if the saddle turns. He is also the horse that panics in the wide open spaces and will lay down like a camel, refusing to get up. At least he used to; he's 17 now and not quite as insecure as he used to be. He's the horse that I have to constantly talk to him and touch him because whatever he sees 1500 feet away, on the ridge, has managed to whisk itself into his stall and is touching him

I have one that would fight, kick, scream until he ripped his chest open, given half the chance. He would run thru the fence, in a panic, in a skinny minute if we didn't have 22 acres.

The other two would give it awhile and if no one came, they'd find their own way out, regardless of the end result.

Like people, there are varying degrees of thinking within the horse world.

My alpha horse is of such uncanny intelligence that just about every experienced horse person, professional and non-professional has commented on it. A farrier once said he wished he had "--a hundred horses like Duke and he'd be a very wealthy man." Duke's the horse in my avatar, at age 16. He is now 24 and we've been buds 21+ years.

So yes, you've got a great horse - big smoochies to him for waiting to be rescued
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intelligent, sane 3 yo TB mare for lease/sale (PA) KDeHaven42 Horses for Sale 0 02-21-2011 12:12 AM
I am so lucky! -- New Horse! kathryn Horse Talk 6 08-29-2009 01:21 PM
Agway Superior Emerald appylover31803 Horse Health 2 02-19-2009 11:38 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0