need help identifying
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

need help identifying

This is a discussion on need help identifying within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By countrylove

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-29-2013, 07:14 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    need help identifying

    I have 4 bits that I want to sell but I don't know anything about them. Can anyone help identify them. Thanks ahead of time :)







    I'm pretty sure #13 is a mullen mouth pelham (?)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
      #2
    Started
    My thoughts:

    #13 - English; Pelham; mullen mouth
    #12 - Western; shanked; port and cricket
    #11 - Western; shanked; mullen mouth (very similar to English Pelham and is sometimes used to introduce a horse to curb action by using two sets of reins for a time)
    #10 - Western; shanked; broken mouth
         
        03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
      #3
    Started
    I should add that the #13, #11 and #10 are considered 'direct action' bits as well. This is because the shanks swivel in the mouthpiece and let the rider straight rein or pull to the side of the horse. #12 is designed for neck reining only.
         
        03-29-2013, 07:56 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    My thoughts:

    #13 - English; Pelham; mullen mouth
    #12 - Western; shanked; port and cricket
    #11 - Western; shanked; mullen mouth (very similar to English Pelham and is sometimes used to introduce a horse to curb action by using two sets of reins for a time)
    #10 - Western; shanked; broken mouth
    Thanks! Any thoughts on how much I can get for them? I know nothing about them lol they are used but in good condition
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    I should add that the #13, #11 and #10 are considered 'direct action' bits as well. This is because the shanks swivel in the mouthpiece and let the rider straight rein or pull to the side of the horse. #12 is designed for neck reining only.
    Thanks again :) Good to know. I thought they all were neck reining only besides the English one which I have seen used with double reins and learned that one set controls right and left while the other set controls up and down movement at the poll.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-29-2013, 08:43 PM
      #6
    Started
    I don't think I could hazard a good guess on prices as I don't know what the US market is like, however that won't stop me from guessing. So, if I was buying the bits, I would pay $15 each for the English Pelham and the Western mullen (it appears to have a copper mouth and some horses like that); $10 for the one with the cricket (also looks like copper) and $5 for the last one (to be honest I don't like a shanked broken bit so I would not buy it). I'm also assuming that the bits are "factory" made of steel and not "hand" made of silver which would, of course, change their value.
         
        03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    I don't think I could hazard a good guess on prices as I don't know what the US market is like, however that won't stop me from guessing. So, if I was buying the bits, I would pay $15 each for the English Pelham and the Western mullen (it appears to have a copper mouth and some horses like that); $10 for the one with the cricket (also looks like copper) and $5 for the last one (to be honest I don't like a shanked broken bit so I would not buy it). I'm also assuming that the bits are "factory" made of steel and not "hand" made of silver which would, of course, change their value.
    Thanks :) that's actually what I was thinking... I haven't seen many bits for sale in my area so that could be a good or bad sign. I'm also pretty sure they are steel with 2 having copper on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
      #8
    Started
    You're welcome. Good luck with the sale.
         
        03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Thanks all of the proceeds are going to the horse rescue I work for. We get donated tack that we can't use so why not re-purpose it to actually help the horses we have. We appreciate every little donation but I doubt we'll have a horse trained enough for these bits So we are selling them to help with spring shots.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Chevaux likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Tack identifying??? MissColors Horse Tack and Equipment 5 10-29-2012 04:28 PM
    Help With Identifying Saddle. schlacker Horse Tack and Equipment 1 11-30-2011 07:08 PM
    Identifying silver? Wallaby General Off Topic Discussion 1 12-21-2010 07:27 PM
    Need Help in Identifying Brand Rosebud64 Horse Talk 3 05-13-2010 03:26 PM
    Identifying my Kieffer? QHDragon Horse Tack and Equipment 1 02-03-2010 10:47 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0